Princess Victoria ("Toria"), daughter of Edward VII & Queen Alexandra (1868-1935)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colynsmomma

Commoner
City
Jacksonville
Country
United States
Princess Victoria ("Toria"), daughter of Edward VII & Queen Alexandra (1868-1935)

Does anyone have an information on Princess Victoria. All I know so far is that she did not marry due to Queen Alexandra. I have read wikipedia but that does not say much. :unsure:

There's a very sympathetic description of her in the book The Marlborough House Set. Queen Alexandra tried to keep all three of her daughters at home, unmarried, and childish, but two of them managed to escape. It sounds as though Victoria's brother George (later George V) and Queen Victoria were very unhappy about Princess Victoria's situation, but Alexandra wasn't interested in listening to anything that interfered with what she wanted. She had an abiding hatred of Germans, so she refused to let any of her daughters marry German princes or grand dukes, which made another good excuse to not look very hard for husbands for them.

Apparently Lord Rosebery showed an interest in marrying Victoria; the book says that this was around the time he became Prime Minister in 1895 (Victoria would have been about 27). Victoria was apparently the most intelligent of Edward VII's children, so life as a political wife in the late 19th century, when this would have gone along with being a major centre of society, might have suited her. But apparently Queen Victoria and the Prince of Wales didn't manage to persuade Alexandra, and nothing came of it. So Victoria spent her life dancing attendance on her mother, and she only outlived her by 10 years. Descriptions of her in later life say that she was very sharp-tongued and sour, as well as being a hypochondriac and not being in good health, but apparently she was quite lively but rather shy as a young woman.

E, did you think that QA kept them (Pss Victoria) around due to her hearing loss?

Do you know where there is good pictures of her. It seems that you only see Maud.

E, did you think that QA kept them (Pss Victoria) around due to her hearing loss?

Well, possibly, but it sounds as though she was just basically selfish and rather lacking in empathy. Her husband was off with his mistresses, and she didn't seem to be the sort of woman who could fill her own time with reading or projects like Queen Mary, so she needed to have people around her to keep her entertained. I'm sure the hearing loss didn't help, but I doubt that was the whole story.

Werent she and George V rather close? I remember reading somewhere that they talked on the phone (if not in person) every day. And they died relatively close together, too -right??

Princess Victoria died 3 December 1935 and King George V died 20 January 1936.
Yes, they were very close.

I read a funny story once that Princess Victoria often called her brother on the telephone and that she liked to greet him with a "Hello, you old fool". Once the operator had to tell her "Beg pardon, Your Royal Highness, but His Majesty is not yet on the line."

Thats great. I love it.........
I am sure Queen Mary didnt approve of that kinda talk towards the King, even from his sister..... but I bet old King Edward VII got a good chuckle from the grave...

Queen Alexandra was following Queen Victoria's behavoir. I always thought it was very sellfish to "condemn" princesses to become old maids just to be with their mothers, especially considering that the mothers were expected to predecease their daughters by far. However, this practice has been part of history until recent times.

Queen Victoria wanted 3 of her daughters to remain single and was almost forced by the circumstances to marry princesses Helen and Louise; however, QV was determined not to allow princess Beatrix to marry; there was a great conflict when she announced her will to marry prince Henry of Battenberg and the Queen refused to give permission. After 8 months of psychological war, the Queen eventually agreed to let her daughter marry, on condition that Beatrix and her family would live with her forever. After 10 years Beatrix's husband was so bored to live with his strict mother in law that he asked to be sent to expeditions in Africa, where he died from malaria right away.

Empress Maria Theresa of Austria, whose daughters were indeed very beautiful princesses, would not allow them to marry unless for dynastic reasons, meaning that those who did not find royal husbands (minor princes were not even considered) had to become nuns (Archduchesses Maria Anna and Maria Elizabeth). Maria Theresa only allowed her favourite child, Archduchess Maria Christina, to marry for love with Albert, Prince of Saxony. Archduchess Maria Amalia, who was forced to marry the Duke of Parma (grandson of the Kings of France and Spain) instead of his love Prince Charles of Zweibrucken, decided not to contact her mother ever again. Prince Charles became an enemy of Maria Theresa and fought against Austria in the war on the Bavarian Succession.

More recently, Emperor Franz Josef of Austria and his son Crown Prince Rudolph wanted to force Archduchess Maria Valeria to marry either the King of Portugal or the Grand Duke of Tuscany; however, Empress Sissi came to the rescue of her favourite child; after a tremendous rift Sissi prevailed and Maria Valeria was allowed to marry for love with Archduke Franz Salvator of Austria, who was considered a minor prince and not a good match for an Imperial Archduchess.

Last edited:
Queen Alexandra was following Queen Victoria's behavoir. I always thought it was very sellfish to "condemn" princesses to become old maids just to be with their mothers, especially considering that the mothers were expected to predecease their daughters by far. However, this practice has been part of history until recent times.
Reminds me a lot of the Mexican novel (later movie) "Like Water for Chocolate" where main character Tita cannot marry because she is the youngest daughter and expected to be a companion to her mother. Her love, Pedro thus marries Tita's older sister to get close to her. Tita questions the logic of having the youngest not marry because she is likely to have most years left to live after a mother's death.

Reminds me a lot of the Mexican novel (later movie) "Like Water for Chocolate" where main character Tita cannot marry because she is the youngest daughter and expected to be a companion to her mother. Her love, Pedro thus marries Tita's older sister to get close to her. Tita questions the logic of having the youngest not marry because she is likely to have most years left to live after a mother's death.

Yessss! that was a wonderful movie I did watch it 3 times. The movie reflects how hard it was for women just a few decades ago. I am sorry for Toria, she could have been happy or at least know about love, sex, motherhood, etc. rather than being her mother's nurse.

Princess Victoria of Wales: Queen Alexandra's "look-alike"

Princess Toria c.1918
e875oh.jpg

She definitely was her mother's 'twin' ;)

* Princess Maud, later Queen of Norway, had her father's nose as well as facial features (i.e., large prominent eyes)*

Yes m'am, I agree.
Those eyes definitely mark her as a Hanover cum Saxe-Coburg-Gotha

This is a personal opinion but I find the `Hanoverian eyes` to have been inherited by Albert Victor, Louise and Victoria in this family. I do not see them in George or Maud. I also think that the three daughters look more like Edward though sometimes I can detect a resemblance to Alexandra in certain photographs too!

I agree about Maud, she is also very skinny! Victoria is her motherstwin but sometimes i think she was even prettier than Alex

I quite agree. Princess Victoria had a tall willowy figure, more so than her mother, which photographed beautifully. In common with the rest of her family she dressed well and in many of her photos she looks very elegant and graceful.

Princess Victoria (1868-1935) with Mac on board the royal yacht "Victoria and Albert III", 1908.
TopFoto
Victoria with her mother, Queen Alexandra
TopFoto
Victoria with Prince Olav of Norway (1903-1991), 1908
TopFoto

Living in a royal fishbowl would not have afforded Toria many chances to go out and kick up her heels, even if her mother would have let her do so. And being a royal princess would have limited her circle of friends. I wonder if Toria's hypochondria, along with her bitterness, was a result of Queen Alexandra's selfish enslavement of her middle daughter.

I agree with Vasillisos ...
Alexandra didn't treated her daugheter well!

What is better :
Princess Victoria who remain single because she has to be devoted to her mother but still lived in England near her family
or Princess Maud who married a Prince of Danemark who became King of Norway. She did not like the court of Norway which was so different than in GB and was her whole life long unhappy?

:previous:

Neither choice sounds very appetizing, does it? But from what I read, it appears that Maud had the better lot. Her marriage was for love and although she dearly missed England, she came to love Norway and its people. She became an accomplished skiier which undoubtedly helped to pass the winter and still had many opportunities to visit England whenever she could.

And she did her duty. Queen Mary would have been proud!

Last edited by a moderator:
Toria was kept at home by her mother, but Alexandra did love her children very much and meant well. Also, it was common in that era for one daughter to remain unmarried with their mother at home. Even Queen Victoria tried this with Beatrice,but Beatrice defied her. So Toria staying unmarried at home was something shared by other women of her era, and even almost by Queen Victoria's daughter Beatrice.

Alexandra did to Toria what her sister Minnie did to Olga to keep her near. They were both selfish but they both loved their children very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom