The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Commoner

I agree about Maud, she is also very skinny! Victoria is her motherstwin but sometimes i think she was even prettier than Alex

Old 01-29-2009, 05:01 AM
Gentry

I quite agree. Princess Victoria had a tall willowy figure, more so than her mother, which photographed beautifully. In common with the rest of her family she dressed well and in many of her photos she looks very elegant and graceful.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Victoria (1868-1935) with Mac on board the royal yacht "Victoria and Albert III", 1908.
TopFoto
Victoria with her mother, Queen Alexandra
TopFoto
Victoria with Prince Olav of Norway (1903-1991), 1908
TopFoto
Old 09-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Serene Highness

Living in a royal fishbowl would not have afforded Toria many chances to go out and kick up her heels, even if her mother would have let her do so. And being a royal princess would have limited her circle of friends. I wonder if Toria's hypochondria, along with her bitterness, was a result of Queen Alexandra's selfish enslavement of her middle daughter.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:36 AM
Royal Highness

I agree with Vasillisos ...
Alexandra didn't treated her daugheter well!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

What is better :
Princess Victoria who remain single because she has to be devoted to her mother but still lived in England near her family
or Princess Maud who married a Prince of Danemark who became King of Norway. She did not like the court of Norway which was so different than in GB and was her whole life long unhappy?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Serene Highness

Neither choice sounds very appetizing, does it? But from what I read, it appears that Maud had the better lot. Her marriage was for love and although she dearly missed England, she came to love Norway and its people. She became an accomplished skiier which undoubtedly helped to pass the winter and still had many opportunities to visit England whenever she could.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

And she did her duty. Queen Mary would have been proud!
Old 10-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Nobility

Toria was kept at home by her mother, but Alexandra did love her children very much and meant well. Also, it was common in that era for one daughter to remain unmarried with their mother at home. Even Queen Victoria tried this with Beatrice,but Beatrice defied her. So Toria staying unmarried at home was something shared by other women of her era, and even almost by Queen Victoria's daughter Beatrice.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Alexandra did to Toria what her sister Minnie did to Olga to keep her near. They were both selfish but they both loved their children very much.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

That's right. Victoria, Alexandra and Dagmar did love their children very much, almost to the point of smothering them by not wanting any to leave the family home. Beatrice was lucky in that she stubbornly stuck to her love of Henry and defied Victoria about marriage even if the married couple had to live with the Queen after their marriage.
For some reason, out of love, fear, devotion Victoria couldn't defy Alexandra. For her to be bitter and a hypochondriac in her later years isn't unusual. I'm sure she had many regrets and mourned the life she could have had.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Nobility

I just wanted to point out that although it wasn't a good idea for Alexandra to keep her daughter at home, it wasn't just her. Beatrice had to endure Queen Victoria not speaking to her when they were under the same roof for months (thought it was six? maybe), after her intention to marry Henry of Battenberg became clear. A lot of people wouldn't go through that. So it's not surprising Toria never defied Alexandra, I think out of family love and perhaps fear.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Angel View Post
I just wanted to point out that although it wasn't a good idea for Alexandra to keep her daughter at home, it wasn't just her. Beatrice had to endure Queen Victoria not speaking to her when they were under the same roof for months (thought it was six? maybe), after her intention to marry Henry of Battenberg became clear. A lot of people wouldn't go through that. So it's not surprising Toria never defied Alexandra, I think out of family love and perhaps fear.
See, and I'm going to do the same to my boys once they are finished serving their country. I want them just a few miles from me. So I can completely understand Alexandra's and Minnie's position. And sympathize.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Beatrice had to endure Queen Victoria not speaking to her when they were under the same roof for months...
Posted in the Princess Beatrice thread here but relevant to this discussion:

the context: Princess Beatrice has announced to her mother her intention to marry Prince Henry of Battenberg;
the fallout: For seven months, from May to November 1884, mother and daughter continued to live side by side without the Queen addressing a single word to Beatrice.
Rather, she communicated by note – on those occasions, such as at the breakfast table, when she delivered the note herself, with eyes averted.
The easy, intimate intercourse that had characterised their relationship for more than 20 years ended overnight.

No doubt this tale had entered the family lore and while Alexandra may not have been as formidable as QV, there was an unpleasant precedent or example for Toria to confront.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
What is better :
Princess Victoria who remain single because she has to be devoted to her mother but still lived in England near her family
or Princess Maud who married a Prince of Danemark who became King of Norway. She did not like the court of Norway which was so different than in GB and was her whole life long unhappy?
Neither choice is good. But I think personally I would have chosen Princess Maud's life.

To me Toria and Maud were extremly wonderful woman.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Alexandra did to Toria what her sister Minnie did to Olga to keep her near. They were both selfish but they both loved their children very much.
Exept the fact that Olga got married and had children, and managed to escape the revolution in Russia
Old 10-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Nobility

Yes, Olga eventually rebeled. Yet, Minnie did allow Olga to marry as a very young woman. However, it was an arranged marriage to a man she didn't love who was said to be gay and they never had any children. Minnie encouraged the marriage of Olga and Peter of Oldenberg because he was a Romanov cousin ( through the female line) who was happy to live in Russia, thus keeping Olga nearby to Minnie. It wasn't a very happy marriage. Perhaps Toria's fate was better, actually.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Serene Highness

Luckily, Olga did manage to divorce and find happiness with Nikolai Kulikovsky despite what happened to her brothers and their families. Xenia was lucky that she fell in love and married a Romanov cousin so she was able to be close to Minnie. I wonder if she could have suffered Toria's fate as well if she wanted to marry someone else besides Sandro.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:11 AM
Aristocracy

It is a consideration that royal princesses had to be provided for from the civil list or the sovereign's own funds. Queen Victoria was not a rich woman in comparison with some of the British ducal families. Princes could always be found salaries within the military, princesses it was hoped would marry men with sufficient income to support a royal or a semi- royal household. Prince Henry of Battenberg, an impoverished German noble, saw the main chance in the Princess Beatrice. So Queen Victoria's views may not have been entirely selfish.

The Princess Beatrice's daughter, Victoria of Battenberg was made a Royal Highness of Great Britain shortly before her marriage to the King of Spain. Beatrice had a long, impoverished and perhpas lonely life: during World War II she was foisted upon an elderly maid of honour of Queen Alexander's. Apparently not one pheasant, rabbit or food hamper was ever sent down from Windsor.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yes, Olga eventually rebeled. Yet, Minnie did allow Olga to marry as a very young woman. However, it was an arranged marriage to a man she didn't love who was said to be gay and they never had any children. Minnie encouraged the marriage of Olga and Peter of Oldenberg because he was a Romanov cousin ( through the female line) who was happy to live in Russia, thus keeping Olga nearby to Minnie. It wasn't a very happy marriage. Perhaps Toria's fate was better, actually.
Minnie didn't "allow" Olga to marry, she practically forced it. Oldenberg's mother was happy to have the match as they were good friends (per Little Mother of Russia.)
I wonder how many suitors Alexandra turned away from Toria as they were social climbers?

Tags
princess victoria, princess victoria of wales