The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2010, 05:44 AM
Commoner

Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester and Edinburgh, dau George III (1776-1857)

Does anyone know if Princess Mary (daughter of George III) had a natural son in about 1798, prior to her marriage to her cousin the Duke of Gloucester? Her sister Princess Sophie had one illegitimate child, but there is a rumour that Princess Mary may also have had a child who she had to give up as an infant. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Serene Highness

I never heard of any illegitimate children

Old 04-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

She didn't as far as I know. Why do you ask?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Gentry

I have heard that there were a lot of rumors about illegitimate children from George III's children which I am sure included stories about Princess Mary. In fact I think I remember reading about some rumors that had gone around in some book or another. But I don't think there was ever evidence for it.
So long and goodnight...
Old 05-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Commoner

The Times stops posting her birthday between 1997 and 1802 and she is "indisposed" quite a lot in the period. The rumour I've heard is of the son of a Scottish laird who died shortly afterwards. There may have even been a clandestine marriage. I'm searching...
Old 05-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humfrey View Post
The Times stops posting her birthday between 1997 and 1802 and she is "indisposed" quite a lot in the period. The rumour I've heard is of the son of a Scottish laird who died shortly afterwards. There may have even been a clandestine marriage. I'm searching...
Aah, the old "indisposed" story given to the masses. Why would the Times stop posting her birthday notice between 1797 and 1802? Or are you referring to the fact that the Court Circular made no mention of observance of her birthday by the Royal Family?
Old 05-04-2010, 05:48 AM
Commoner

Usually a mention would be made in the Times of the celebration of the princess's birthday and that other members of the royal family and peerage paid their respects. This did not happen for an interval of a few years. I may be reading too much into this, but I think an inspection of baptismal records could be my next port of call. Any suggestions as to where the records for chapels at (e.g.) St James' Palace or Kew Palace would be found?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Serene Highness

I doubt there would be a written record regarding a royal illegitimate child, at least not one with the names of the actual parents on it. Do you believe someone else claimed the child as theirs?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Courtier

If such a child existed I doubt there would be records of its actual family. Most likely , it would be predecided to give it at birth to another family and their names would be those appearing on the records of both his birth and christening in order to cover all traces back to the Princess.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Commoner

The child in question, who may have been Mary's, was adopted by a friend of the father's who placed the child as a border in a school near London and looked after his welfare from a very early age. The child was recognised by the father's family, but his mother would reveal nothing whatsoever about him to her son and even the stepfather left it to a paternal relative to reveal to the boy his father's identity. The son, in turn, kept quiet about the identity of his mother who was known to be very high born. The father had been deeply involved in the politics of the day and committed suicide shortly after the child's birth. N.B. Princess Sophie, I understand, had a natural child who was taken from her and placed with the father. This only came out as I remember when the son revealed his parentage in the courts and this information may otherwise have been lost to posterity.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Serene Highness

Fascinating. May I inquire how you came by this information?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Commoner

Letters and documents from National Archives mostly.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:30 AM

The website Gogmsite.net has a painting of Mary with her son William in new content, but I can't find anything on him anywhere else. This may not even be her.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Commoner

William would be right, I think. I shall look for it. Princess Mary isn't hard to identify. Thank you very much indeed.
The date doesn't look right (too early), but she does and the hand symbolism is telling. I think we may have a match.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Commoner

Like a Madonna and Child but no haloes and colours all wrong. A mother and child, but not a family portrait. No finger rings. No father or paternal heraldry. Child points at his mother who points with her left hand past her baby while looking heavenwards. Part II to follow
Old 11-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Commoner

The heart on her head dress and breast probably refers to those found on the Hanoverian coat of arms. The parallel with a religious painting is apparently a disguise of a painting of a mother about to give up her natural son.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:18 AM
Commoner

It's not Princess Mary I'm told, so back to the drawing board...
Old 11-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Commoner

Was there another Princess Mary around this time (1798) of the right age? Just a thought.