The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
May I ask what OCD traits you regard Queen Mary as having?
I think she was a bit of a kleptomaniac and maybe you could call her a hoarder. I heard (and maybe I'm wrong, not being a Queen Mary authority) that she would go to jewelry shops/antique shops,etc. and things would turn up missing... and BP had standing orders to pay the merchants off.

Additionally, if she visited your house and saw you had something she thought would go well in the royal collections, you were virtually expected to turn it over (no wonder HM has lovely collections today!).

Old 05-15-2009, 02:20 AM
Nobility

I've always liked Mary Adelaide too since reading Pope- Henessy's biography. She was certainly different than her daughter who had a more dutiful proper public persona. Mary Adelaide might not be much remembered today if not for who her daughter married, but she was interesting character.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Commoner

Princess Mary Adelaide image

Being no small princess myself, it makes me sad to hear her referred to as "Fat Mary". I comfort myself by looking at her beautiful Winterhalter portrait. Now, granted, Winterhalter never made anyone look less than stunning, but I think this picture takes you beyond the whole "Fat Mary" persona.
From the Portrait Gallery:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	princess mary adelaide duchess of teck.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	270432  
Old 06-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The princess does have a Hanoverian resemblance to Queen Victoria (which might account to some extent for the weight problem).
Old 06-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Nobility

Agreed, Iowabelle - she does bear a resemblance to Victoria.

Despite her size, Princess Mary Adelaide was very attractive and very stylish - even though she doesnt fit the typical "wasp-waist" gals of the era.... she was STUNNING!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennybenny View Post
...it makes me sad to hear her referred to as "Fat Mary".
There's a danger in applying today's usage of terms to a period well over a century ago. Princess Mary Adelaide was a very popular and gregarious figure in her day and from what we've read, the nickname of "Fat Mary" was not used in a derogatory manner but was said with great affection and respect.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:02 AM
Heir Apparent

So true! Being large was once considered a sign of great wealth and socially, was very well accepted.

Busty women with expansive waists stringently shaped and concealed by whale bone and the finest fabrics, garlanded with strings of pearls and diamond rivieres set upon chiffon lace.

'Fat Mary? Lucky Mary!

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Queen Victoria letter

Hi all, first time on here so apologies if I have not posted in the right place.

I wonder if any members on here can help. My mother in law has been having a sort out and has found some letters of thanks from members of the Royal family. All bar one are from the 20's & 30's saying thankyou for various wedding gifts. The one I would like to know more about is dated May 21st 1869 it is on letterheaded paper from White Lodge, Richmond park. At first I thought it was from Prince Albert, but he was obviously dead 8 years before this. I cant make out alot as the writing is so elaborate but it goes something like

"Dear Mr Daniell, I have to .......... you Her Royal Highness' and my very best thanks for having so kindly .......our wishes I am sure that the Queen will be much pleased with these two handsome pieces of china and the ........ Will not forget to mention to Her Majesty where we got them. Yours faithfully, ..........".

The dots are words that I cannot figure out and include the signature . I have looked at countless autographs of Queen Victoria's children and none of them are anything like the one on this letter. What I am trying to establish is, who is the sender of the note. It is obviously somebody who was close to her as they use the words " our wishes" and "where we got them from". Any of your thoughts would be much appreciated, I am out of ideas here. Thankyou for reading, Richard.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quite possible a servant or secretary, if it does not match the signatures of the royal family.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Quite possible a servant or secretary, if it does not match the signatures of the royal family.

Hi, I did wonder that, but the signature seems to be just one christian name. Judging by the date, I suppose it could be an early 50th birthday present for her.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If she was close to TRF, close enough to recieve a present, then you would be able to match up the signatures.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If she was close to TRF, close enough to recieve a present, then you would be able to match up the signatures.
I was kind of hoping that it was written by Mr Brown, but there is no image or record of his handwriting or signature anywhere that I have found. If you really squint at the signature, it could say "teddy" - In fact it could say anything, bit like a doctors handwriting on a perscription haha
Old 01-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardtt
...dated May 21st 1869
The Prince and Princess of Wales made occasional use of White Lodge, Richmond Park in 1867 and 1868.
The Duke and Duchess of Teck lived there from 1870.
However, in March 1869 Queen Victoria wrote to Princess Mary Adelaide (later Duchess of Teck and mother of Queen Mary) "am quite ready to let you try the White Lodge for a month."
As your letter is dated May 1869 it is possible that it was from Princess Mary Adelaide or one of her staff.

source:'Queen Mary' by James Pope-Hennessy, pp 60,63.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 PM

Hi there, thankyou for the reply. I sent a copy of the note to an autograph auctioneer and you were very close indeed. It is from her husband Francis, Duke of Teck. I have also managed to figure out another note that was with it which is from Edward the 7th (prince of wales at the time) to Lord Henry Lennox making arrangements to go for tea with Lady Mount Edgecumb - whoever she might be. Fascinating stuff, and I thought my handwriting was bad!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Administrator

The Princess Mary Adelaide Memorial

The following question has been received privately but I am posting it here in the event that someone has detailed knowledge of the Princess Mary Adelaide Memorial.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

To the left hand side of Richmond Park Gate is a memorial to Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, Duchess of Teck, erected by the local council in 1904. There were originally four large brass panels executed by Francis John Williamson, said to be Queen Victoria's favourite sculptor. I believe they were removed when the Royal Family's German names were changed in 1917.

In their place are four marble panels suggesting that the original brass panels were carefully removed and stored away. It is unlikely they have been covered over because although inset reliefs (and judging from photos), they would have stood proud to some extent.

The fate of the brass panels is unknown.
Any help your members can give would be most appreciated.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Serene Highness

Queen Mary of England (Victoria Mary of Teck) had a brother, Adolphus, the Marquess of Cambridge. I know that before he got the title of Marquess, he was Adolphus of Teck. However, The Royal Genealogy Database at Hull mentioned him as Adolphus II of Teck, Duke of Teck. Was he Prince of Teck or Duke of Teck? Was there an Adolphus I, Duke of Teck?
Old 12-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Mary and Adolphus' father was Francis, Duke of Teck. Originally, Francis was created HSH Prince Francis of Teck in 1863 by King William I of Württemberg. In 1871, he was created Duke of Teck. His children were each HSH Prince(sse)s of Teck.

As the eldest son, when Francis died in 1900 Adolphus inherited his father's title. I don't know if he was I or II; he would have been the first Adolphus in his line, but there may have been an Adolphus in an earlier line.

It's important to remember that the Tecks lived in London - Adolphus was born at Kensington Palace - and during the First World War they were the siblings of the Queen. So, during the rise of anti-German sentiments they were among the group who officially renounced their German titles in 1917. At this point, both Adolphus and his brother Alexander took on Cambridge as a surname - out of deference to their maternal grandfather, Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge. This Adolphus was later created Marquess of Cambridge.

The third brother, Francis, died before this all happened, while Mary had married long before then. Alexander was created the Earl of Athlone.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Mary Adelaide had hoped that her son, Prince Francis of Teck, should marry Princess Maud of Wales.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:58 PM
Majesty

But had to settle for her daughter marrying Maud's brother George and thus becoming the Queen Consort of the UK.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

"Settle." Somehow, I think the Tecks bagged a far bigger prize in that one.

Tags
biography, british history, duchess of teck, fat mary, people's princess, pictures, prince francis of teck, princess mary adelaide, queen mary, queen victoria