Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (1930-2002)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lord Glenconner and his sur mesure turquoise suits, he better rest in peace now. It is my belief that royal history owes something to the extraordinary Princess Margaret. To my discontent, these intimate secrets may appear as scandalous to some people, even at this day and age. It is no secret that Margaret considered her sister and the rest Windsors as rather rustic, and not to her taste. Their country-inspired notions and interests did not amuse her, fair enough. She was in another league, dared to differ, and this was her crime according to the majority. However the masses can be easily misled and jump to unfair conclusions, which is unpleasant to many of us. I very much tend to believe that time will pay justice to this wonderful person. Farewell!

"The masses can be easily misled", my friend Schnitzel would not have chosen another expression herself. :lol: Welcome to the forums. It is a bit sad that Princess Margaret seems almost forgotten nowadays. She is not yet ten years gone.

@Blackadder Thank you! I assume you are referring to Princess Marina's daughter-in-law. A highly intelligent woman, such people tend to be quite truthful. And why is that? In a nutshell, because they know that what the others think about them does not matter. As for Princess Margaret, she was unique, sui generis. She did her thing, had a parallel life, so to speak, to her rather boring sister and to the tedious establishment she represents, and people were not and still aren't willing to forgive Margaret for that. But I have faith in the future generations of journalists and historians, my friend. ;) Farewell!

"her boring sister" you mean Elizabeth? Have you ever seen a picture of the young Elizibeth? :bang:
sorry Elizabeth

Last edited by a moderator:
@Conny Yes, I have. What does that have to do with our discussion?

I don't know if Townsend was the love of Margaret's life, but she seems never to have had a deep emotional attachment afterwards.

In a book I've been reading called Royal Pains, she is quoted as having made the decision to marry Tony on the same day she received Townsend's letter telling her of his engagement to a young Belgian girl.

She said "it was not a coincidence."

To me, she seemed a sad, disappointed woman.
I suppose she found some consolation in her children, but I doubt they could entirely make up for such a humiliating, disastrous marriage.

It always seemed to me that Margaret and Townsend didn't love each other enough to overcome all the social barriers and be partners in life, even if not necessarily spouses. The Princess's sadness was due to various reasons, including an unfulfilled love of course. All the sudden changes that followed the Abdication Crisis, the emotional detachment from her older sister, who was to be Queen, her new role, the complicated relationship with her mother, as Margaret was often rude to her, the early death of her beloved father and so on. It's not easy to describe one's psychology in a few lines. What is essential to be said at this point is that the unfortunate affair with Peter Townsend wasn't the catalyst, as many people tend to believe.

Margaret spoke with Elizabeth Longford, a biographer of the Queen, in the 1980s and told her that the application by law of the Royal Marriages Act was never explained to her and Townsend. If it had been, Margaret felt that they would have understood from the start the hopelessness of the situation and Townsend would have departed with no major tragedy.

Of course many people were enchanted by the prospect of a love match, including Winston Churchill, who at first thought the idea smashing! When it was pointed out to him that others did not see the situation in the same light, Clementine reportedly said, "Winston, if you are going to begin the Abdication all over again, I'm going to leave! I shall take a flat and go and live in Brighton." Churchill came to his senses and felt he could not recommend consent to the marriage unless Princess Margaret renounced all her royal rights.

It seems that the only member of the Royal Family who was not captivated by Margaret's charm and wit was Queen Mary. Has anyone else read this and have any examples of the old Queen's disapproval of her young granddaughter's behavior?

Funny how the passage of time changes all things!!!! The situation that Margaret and Peter Townsend found themselves in would be considered ridiculous today. You must remember that Princess Margaret was the first member of the royal family to obtain a divorce since Henry VIII divorced Anne of Cleves. It was tragic. If she could have married her true love, perhaps she would have been happy and lived a longer life. :)

Princess Margaret has been described as the most unpopular royal. I DETEST that. The Countess of Snowden was my FAVOURITE royal actually. I apsolutely adore her. I feel like she was truely given a very raw deal in life. She was always second best to her sister no matter what she did or what talents she had to offer because Princess Elizabeth was to be Queen. Margaret even said once I was Margaret of York, now I am nothing. Which referred to her father ascending to the throne after the abdication and Elizabeth being elavated above her (though Princess Elizabeth was still technically Heiress Presumptive prior to the abication crisis.) Princess Margaret always was a free spirit who saught attention, however after the Townsend affair she was brutally harrassed by the press for literally everything she did. Quite the opposite of Diana who could 'do no wrong.' Both woman were good people and both had faults but Margaret was unfairly depicted in the tabloids, they only saw her faults if not invented or inflated them. I agree with a lot of what Tsaritsa said, however I fully believe she WAS in love with Peter Townsend. I believe her life would have been so much different and happier if she would have been permitted to marry him. I understand that the abdication crisis was still in the minds of the government and church, but Townsend was found not be a fault in the marriage, therefore not the guilty party. He was a WAR HERO and friend of the government and Royal Family. He was someone to look up to. Also in a poll by the Daily Mirror about whether she should be able to marry him 96.81% out of over 70,000 that responded said she ought to be able to marry him. Telling her she could only marry him if she gave up her rights to succession and that she must marry in a civil marriage abroad was a huge insult, and apsolutely humiliating. Princess Margaret already felt she was the 'less important one' giving up her succession rights meant that she now literally meant nothing, and that her life of service thus far amounted to nothing in the end. I Love Princess Margaret, both her and her sisters pictures are on my wall proudly and I will defend her til the grave, she was a very special person to me and I pray for not only the living royal family every night but also those who have died and Margaret is ALWAYS mentioned by name. I hope with my heart of hearts that she is happy wherever she is now, may she rest in peace.

@JimmyA I understand your infatuation with Princess Margaret. She was special but her low popularity is not without reason. Perhaps you have already heard or read that she was so full of herself and had rather lofty ideas about her rank and position in life, or am I the first to tell you that? The majority of the people will always misinterpret and even dislike royals with such notions. :flowers: Despite that, she remains one of my favorite British royals, too.

@ la noblesse
Lol. No you are not the first to say that to me. =) The difference is you worded most respectfully and understandable. I have made a study of her life, and as I said on the post above I believe that, in my eyes anyway, her faults were forgivable in the face of her positive attributes and emotionally hard times. Plus there is a certain point which every human probably understands, at least romantics anyway, where you just don't care what anyone thinks, and someone can say what they want about a person and no matter what, that person is just perfect to you. Which is how I feel about the Countess =) =)

Last edited:
Perhaps you have already heard or read that she was so full of herself and had rather lofty ideas about her rank and position in life, or am I the first to tell you that?

Oh we have heard all about it, however NOBODY could cut Royally like Margaret! What a woman!

I read that Margaret was often rude to her mother and that a close friend of the Queen Mother would protest about Margaret's behavior but the Queen Mother just shrugged it off, saying it did not bother her. Didn't Margaret make some comment about her mother being a mere aristocrat whereas Margaret was born a Royal Highness?

There's a really fascinating dynamic going on here VM!! We have an example of the QMs ability to "ostrich" and from PM, deep wells of unresolved anger and resentment buried for, who knows how long, but the comment is certainly a childish one suggestive of a "child" who feels side-lined, overlooked, ignored - possibly as a result of having experienced too much "ostriching?"

I can't find anything as yet on Princess Margaret's remarks to her mother but I found this one and find it quite apropos, and charming, really. :D

"Princess Margaret's 'faults' are the indulgences of many human beings who are not absolute bores. She has a taste for booze and fags – who hasn't?" A N Wilson in 1997

There's a really fascinating dynamic going on here VM!! We have an example of the QMs ability to "ostrich" and from PM, deep wells of unresolved anger and resentment buried for, who knows how long, but the comment is certainly a childish one suggestive of a "child" who feels side-lined, overlooked, ignored - possibly as a result of having experienced too much "ostriching?"

Tsaritsa,

Very astute. The bio on the Queen Mother showed that many members of the Household considered the QM to be a "royal ostrich", determined not to make waves but to bury her head when she encountered unpleasantness. I think she did not feel comfortable offering advice, such as when Charles and Diana were having trouble, but thought her place was to support the family in whatever they chose to do.

I can't find anything as yet on Princess Margaret's remarks to her mother but I found this one and find it quite apropos, and charming, really. :D

"Princess Margaret's 'faults' are the indulgences of many human beings who are not absolute bores. She has a taste for booze and fags – who hasn't?" A N Wilson in 1997

Russo my dear,

As usual, you come up with the most fascinating tidbits of information. Once I reach the age of 75, I intend to start smoking again and getting shi*-faced every day. I figure I won't have much longer to live after reaching 75 anyway.

Here is an excerpt from the biography of Lord Snowdon which ran in Vanity Fair in 2009. I really did not know much about the marriage between Margaret and Snowdon so it was an entertaining read for me. There is a couple of references to Margaret's dismissive treatment of both her mother and the household staff, which seems to be in line with what I have read about Margaret. She could be quite imperious.

Excerpt: The Princess and the Photographer | Style | Vanity Fair

Their marriage is quite interesting to read about. I have always felt a little bad for Margaret. She always seems a bit lost to me because she never had any real roles to play with at least officially. In the past royals could behave like her and get away with it but she was never as fortunate. It is also interesting to note that while she did leave some parenting duties to the nannies, according to the original article, her children appear to be very well adjusted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Their marriage is quite interesting to read about. I have always felt a little bad for Margaret. She always seems a bit lost to me because she never had any real roles to play with at least officially. In the past royals could behave like her and get away with it but she was never as fortunate. It is also interesting to note that while she did leave some parenting duties to the nannies, according to the original article, her children appear to be very well adjusted.

Some interesting psychological observations as well in the article. Margaret was always #2, never the queen like her mother and sister. This would undoubtedly account for much of her behavior, although her personality would also play a part because there seem to be many siblings of monarchs who manage to take a subservient role and don't rock the boat. And from what I read in the recent bio of the Queen Mother, she adored Margaret's children and they adored her in return. In fact, I believe both of Margaret's children were present at the Queen Mother's passing.

Congratulations, Vasillisos Markos. Your posts are informative, entertaining and enlightening, and I always look forward to your participation on any thread.

Lovely name, as well.

My dear Warren,

Sorry, I did not know you had already posted the link to the book's excerpt in Vanity Fair. Fascinating read, eh?

YAY, my 800th post!
(Warren was making sure I don't get too big a head! :D)

It was a very fascinating read. Pity it never worked out. I'm sure it wasn't easy to live with either of them.

Congratulations, Vasillisos Markos. Your posts are informative, entertaining and enlightening, and I always look forward to your participation on any thread.

Lovely name, as well.

My dear Princess Kaimi,

Thank you for your kind words; I enjoy reading your comments on royalty as well. :flowers: One day I would like to visit your beautiful state.

This is a fun group of people, isn't it? And the people we write and comment about are all fascinating. I would have liked to met Princess Margaret in person. She was quite a character.

Aloha

VM

Here is an excerpt from the biography of Lord Snowdon which ran in Vanity Fair in 2009. I really did not know much about the marriage between Margaret and Snowdon so it was an entertaining read for me. There is a couple of references to Margaret's dismissive treatment of both her mother and the household staff, which seems to be in line with what I have read about Margaret. She could be quite imperious.

Excerpt: The Princess and the Photographer | Style | Vanity Fair

I just read this article and I must say I am intrigued by the marriage of the Snowdons. I might purchase this book if its on Kindle. Has anyone read Lord Snowdon's biography?

Margaret was such a sad woman because she was really doomed to a life of being "second", really, she was a "third" after her sister and Mother, both Queens. She was educated at the Palace and was not expected to further her education, in contrast to the present, when we see many Prince and Princesses going to University and obtaining Bachelor's and Master's degrees.
Margaret really was a sort of bird in a gilded cage with nothing to do except make a few Royal appearances with her Mother.
Tony Snowdon was not cut out for the Royal life and I had read somewhere that he absolutely chafed at the protocol of walking so many steps behind his wife, he hated the whole matter. Margaret acted the supreme Royal because, I'm sure, she it made up for her lack of a real sense of belonging. Tony Snowden can count himself in the same league as Diana and Sarah in that, he was probably thrown into the whole Royal Family bit without any instruction or support.
Margaret's last years were just heartbreaking for me to watch. She was very regal, funny, and I think intelligent and her life was such a waste those last couple of years.

What a rude, immature and miserable person. The total opposite how a princess should behave. I have no sympathy for what became of her life, she made it that way. Spoiled brat comes to mind.

What a rude, immature and miserable person. The total opposite how a princess should behave. I have no sympathy for what became of her life, she made it that way. Spoiled brat comes to mind.

Margaret could be rude and often was but I think she is deserving of a little sympathy. As the poster above you pointed out, she was sort of a bird captured in a gilded cage. In reading the Queen Mother's biography, I learned that Margaret was very intelligent and loved her studies but the Queen Mother did not think it appropriate for Margaret to get a degree at University or to expand her knowledge. Imagine what this must have felt like to one who knew that she would always be subordinate to the others in matters of protocol and never have a chance to live life or experience it on her own terms.

She may not have been especially well liked but I think she is deserving of some sympathy.

Back
Top Bottom