Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (1930-2002)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have read stories in recent years of Margaret and Townsend being lovers and Eileen Parker has been quoted many times both in newspapers, books and T.V. programmes as a source of information in relation to this. So she HAS been used as a credible source. Where do you think I saw her quotes in the first place?

Last edited:
Just because people use her as a source doesn't mean her claims can be backed up. You aren't posting anything everyone doesn't already know. But nothing Parker has said can be proven, therefore, while people may quote her, they can't prove what she said is true. That is the lack of credibility.

I side with James on this one. I do think Eileen Parker knew of things going on, after all her husband could have even told her! Her husband and Prince Philip were quite close. Also, anyone in the British Royal Family having an affair could not be kept secret from the other members. It is quite possible of Philip telling Mike Parker who in turn told Eileen. Eileen was more involved. Rosemary Townsend stayed out of the royal runabout.

You're assuming Mike Parker told Eileen what Philip told him. That's faulty because you're assuming he told her and that Philip told him. Philip isn't known for trusting many people and the way he dropped Mike when his divorce came through doesn't speak to me of much faith in Mike. He rarely, if ever, spoke to Mike ever again before his death, so I don't think they were as close as some like to believe.

I have never said I fully believe Philip has been faithful. I've pointed out (and no one has been able to deny) that none of Eileen's comments can be proven with irrefutable evidence. You can believe her but you cannot state she has credibility when no one has ever been able to prove anything on Philip (though I myself would be amazed if he's been completely faithful). Credibility has nothing to do with how many people believe you. It depends on whether you can back up your statements with evidence. Therefore, she lacks credibility.

James Hewitt makes all sorts of claims, but half of them can't be proven, so he lacks credibility. James WHittaker lost his credibility when he printed something about Charles and Diana that was not only impossible to prove, but was proven untrue. Mohammed al Fayed makes claims that are impossible to prove, no matter how much money he spends trying to prove them, so he's lost his rather shaky credibility anyways.

Perhaps my assessment is rather cold-blooded, but I think Margaret chose to give Townsend up because she didn't want to lose her prestige and her allowance.

To be fair to her, she was raised like a hot-house flower, and she wouldn't have had much savvy in making her own way in the world. (Rather like that Japanese princess who is marrying soon.) "Roman Holiday" is all very romantic, but to go from living as a princess to cleaning your own (or someone else's) toilet is an incredible change.

Romy said:
Ooops, thank you Iceflower! I think I need a pair of glasses :cool: :)
:D Same for me from time to time, Romy ;)

A collection of portraits of Margaret and her family:

11smff9.jpg
11smh52.jpg
11smiwi.jpg
11smo3a.jpg
11smoo0.jpg
11smp74.jpg

(Ullstein)

Last edited:
I'm glad you all liked the pics, Madjenn, mims111 and Duchess :)

Here is a wonderful portrait of Princess Margaret:

1zbaowp.jpg

(HELLO)

I have a question about her titles. When she was married was she refered to as HRH Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowden or HRH The Countess of Snowden.

Oppie said:
I have a question about her titles. When she was married was she refered to as HRH Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowden or HRH The Countess of Snowden.

It was HRH Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon, Oppie.:)

Princess Margaret was a very cute little girl, but I've heard she was a total brat.

I'm glad you liked it, BeatrixFan :)

Here's another nice one of Margaret:

1zlrhnp.jpg

(RM)

I really like those last two photos of Ps. Margaret, Iceflower. I've never seen either before. Up until her last few years, she really did age quite well. In the picture in #132 she almost looks like a fairytale prinicess. I actually really like that late 60s/early 70s dress! Same goes for the last pic. She almost looks like a young Helen Mirren in this picture. Thanks again for sharing your vast collection.

Thanks, Iceflower Princess Margaret was very beautiful and hippie with 60s dress and today are actually. She remind me young Elizabeth Taylor. The same blue eyes, black hair and lovely smile.

Yes, there was a lot of controversy concerning the auction itself and esp. about the painting of Margaret that is a mirror image (technically speaking) of her sister, Elizabeth.

It is a shame that they had to have an auction for certain pieces, but supposedly they needed the money for inheritance tax, which is 40% of the estate (for England). People were also surprised at how much Margaret's estate was worth. It was about $24million dollars.

You are most welcome, Bella and Madjenn!! Me too, I like these kind of dresses on her a lot and Liz Taylor is a quite good comparison in my eyes :)

How do you like the following portraits of her? Me I really like the older ones.

1zqd9j9.jpg
1zqdc0i.jpg
1zqdf08.jpg
1zqdfl2.jpg

(picture press)

These are great, Iceflower. Yes, the older ones are beautiful. She was really quite a striking woman, even as she aged. Hard to think she's not with us anymore.

Thanks Iceflower, the first photo Princess Margaret has a mixture between Liz Taylor and Helen Mirren.The second is glorious.The third and quarter aer majestic.She always posed like a movie star and a real princess.

A nice portrait of Margaret:

23uzexw.jpg

(HELLO)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice portrait of Pss. Margaret. She was very photogenic, even as she aged. Still hard to believe she's gone.

Oh, what a nice picture of Princess Margaret, thank you, Iceflower!

I generally prefer real pictures and not painted portraits, but the one of Sarah and Andrew is really nice. It shows them as very private people, just like you and me.

MAN CLAIMS ROYAL PARENTAGE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/jersey/5280732.stm

This chap has been on TV a few times but he doesn't interview well. His story is shaky and basically it's a total work of fiction. He claims he's an illegitimate son of Princess Margaret but when he was on "This Morning", he said that he was the son of Princess Marina, then corrected himself.

*sigh BBC, no he won't be 12th in line he is illegitimate even if he turns out to be Princess Margaret son he still isn't in line. Hire a fact checker. :bang:

BeatrixFan said:
MAN CLAIMS ROYAL PARENTAGE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/jersey/5280732.stm

This chap has been on TV a few times but he doesn't interview well. His story is shaky and basically it's a total work of fiction. He claims he's an illegitimate son of Princess Margaret but when he was on "This Morning", he said that he was the son of Princess Marina, then corrected himself.
Run for office and then don't get elected? No worries, just claim to be the illegitimate son of a royal... *snorts*

I'd maybe give him the benefit of the doubt if it had turned out to be a male royal who didn't have to walk around pregnant for nine months... in the public eye, but this is just stupid.

Skydragon said:
Oh please ..... I am quite certain someone would have noticed if the Princess had been getting fatter. I know we have regular tales of women who didn't know they were pregnant but, I don't think Princess M would have been one of them! :wacko:

Especially as the man was born in 1955, when Princess Margaret was thinking about marrying Peter Townsend. The whole world was watching her and just waiting for such an event to happen to her!

Okay, it is a strange coincidence that the princess was not able to marry Townsend without her sister's consent till she turned 25 and that was on 21.8.1955. So before the birth of this guy in January 1955 she couldn't have gotten married on her own. But while it was understandible that the princess decided to give Townsend up when she was mislead about the results of her marriage (lost title, lost income etc.) I don't think for a moment she would have refrained from marrying Townsend if she was already carrying his child. In such a situation I'm convinced, the queen would have seen to it that she married ASAP in private and then went to live for some time in quiet surroundings, while at the appropriate time the public would have been informed that the princess had a child. A bit tempering with birthdates is one thing, but getting rid of the child? I don't think so.

In addition I don't think the queen is the person to act against a last will - so if the princess or QM had acknowledged the child and left something for him, the queen would have seen to it that the child got the legacy.

Princess Margaret was perhaps the most photographed, glamourized, sought-out royal on the planet at this time. Every move she made was noted by the media. And as Jo of Palatine stated, this was at the time of the Pete Townsend "scandal" so even more scrutiny was placed on her. Someone somewhere (even a member of the court) would have known if Pss. Margaret was pregnant and something like this would never have been played down. This guy is a fraud and probably slightly mentally challenged.

A rather austere portrait of Princess Margaret from FlickNR.

Looking at her just makes me realise what an era ended in 2002. The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret - how I miss them.

Princess Margaret was a beautiful woman. Not to be corny or anything...but I hope she is finally at peace.

She was just so enigmatic. I love the stories about her. Just so glamorous. And then her moods - there's a tale that she went to see "Carry On Up the Khyber" being filmed at Pinewood and Sid James was playing Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond, the Viceroy of India. In one scene, he had to dictate a letter to Queen Victoria and started it, "Dear Vicky". Princess Margaret went into a huge rage, stormed off of the set and left the studios. She wrote to the Carry On team and said that she was sorry but she found such blatant disrespect totally unacceptable. When the film went out, Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond started his letter, "Your Majesty". There was a time when you could stand at a certain spot behind Buckingham Palace and you'd see Princess M taking tea in the gardens. It just seems that life isn't the same without her. It doesn't sound corny Zonk - I hope she's at peace too.

Back
Top Bottom