The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-18-2018, 09:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It was reported that when Elizabeth and Margaret's father became king due to the abdication, six year old Margaret asked her sister if this meant that one day she'd be Queen. When Elizabeth replied that it did, Margaret has been quoted as stating "Poor you!".

Both girls had a full understanding of how things worked. They lived it.

http://time.com/5298945/queen-elizabeth-princess/

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 07-18-2018, 10:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
As a child, Princess Margaret would not have contemplated that she was so close in line to the throne. With the marriages of her uncles Henry and George, the general public may still have thought Prince Edward would marry soon.
Prince Henry was the last of Edward's brothers to marry, in November 1935 at the age of 35. At that point Edward was 41! I would think that even the most optimistic and adoring of Britons at that time would be contemplating the likelihood of a bachelor King on the throne in the near future!

I doubt that the York princesses studied the current line of succession every day! However, Margaret was only six and a half when the abdication crisis broke. Before her seventh birthday Margaret saw her father the new King, crowned, and she and her family were ensconced at Buckingham Palace. So, from a very early age, say six yrs, Margaret had a very clear idea, IMO, of where she and her sister stood in the line of succession.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:57 PM
Courtier

Yeah the issue is would Edward marry and if he married would his wife be of child-bearing age. For those who kept tabs on such things, as time passed and Edward remained unmarried, the likelihood increased that the crown would pass to the York line. Of course Elizabeth and Margaret could have been bumped down in the line of succession if their parents had a boy, but I recall a documentary mentioning that after Margaret, "there would be no more babies" for the Yorks.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:40 PM
Heir Apparent

in Marg's early childhood, her father was heir presumptive to the throne.. and she and Eliz were his heirs.. so Im sure she was aware of how close she stood ot the throne....and then when she was still a young child, her father actualy became King so of course she knew how close she was to the throne...
Old 09-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Here’s an article about Princess Margaret and a trip she made to Italy when she was 18. Someone actually broke into her room to learn what nail varnish she was wearing! It mentions she was reading a book called Busman’s Honeymoon- this is a Lord Peter Wimsey novel by Dorothy L. Sayers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...H-wearing.html

Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-25-2018, 07:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Margaret in 1970
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-pri...-19538346-html
Old 02-16-2019, 11:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Earl of Snowdon, says it’s time to tell the true story about his late mother.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rayal-her.html

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-17-2019, 05:17 AM
Courtier

Unfortunately, I think a son would find it difficult to write an objective biography of his mother, particularly if he's determined to show her best side. Of course she had many admirable qualities that were seen by her family & friends but she could also be very selfish, pompous & rude.

The two biographies about her I've most enjoyed are Theo Aronson's 'Princess Margaret' and Craig Brown's 'Ma'am Darling'. The latter shouldn't be read in isolation as it lays bare her worst behaviour.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Unfortunately, I think a son would find it difficult to write an objective biography of his mother, particularly if he's determined to show her best side. Of course she had many admirable qualities that were seen by her family & friends but she could also be very selfish, pompous & rude.
It would be difficult, but not impossible. Lady Pamela Hicks certainly pulled no punches regarding her mother when writing her memoirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
The two biographies about her I've most enjoyed are Theo Aronson's 'Princess Margaret' and Craig Brown's 'Ma'am Darling'. The latter shouldn't be read in isolation as it lays bare her worst behaviour.
I had a weird reaction to "Ma'am Darling." I was absolutely furious on Margaret's behalf. I realized through reading it that Peter Townsend really preyed on Margaret during a period where she was lonely and vulnerable following the death of her father. And then to learn the extent of Tony Snowdon's gaslighting of Margaret during their marriage made me even angrier. It will be interesting to see how their son writes about their marriage.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

I have never understood how Margaret, who moved in all those circles, did not realize what all her husband was into, the lifestyles he was involved in, when she married him. I've read a couple biographies that indicate this as well as a more recent documentary.

LaRae
Old 02-19-2019, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I have never understood how Margaret, who moved in all those circles, did not realize what all her husband was into, the lifestyles he was involved in, when she married him. I've read a couple biographies that indicate this as well as a more recent documentary.

LaRae
What was he into exactly? He liked a fun life, he had a lot of affairs.. Im sure Margaret knew about this and she herself was no slouch at having affairs when the marriage broke down
Old 03-05-2019, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Princess Margaret and her 2 children arriving in London on February 26th,1974

8th of October 1515 ; Birth of The Lady Margaret Douglas, Countess of Lennox
Old 04-02-2019, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Margaret turned 21.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Antony Armstrong-Jones was not only annoyed with his wife, but also with the servants for running up such large household bills.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:27 PM
Majesty

I don't know why. It wasn't his money that was solely supporting their household. He had a point if the servants really were being completely extravagant, but surely he knew, before he and Margaret married in 1960, that she had been a King's daughter and was the Queen's sister, and therefore used to a certain standard of living. That included employing a large staff, comparitively speaking.

Tony had lived in a pretty bohemian way in the 1950s in his studio flat near the Thames, but de he really expect Princess Margaret to live in a flat and do her own housework, lol! Surely he knew her better than that!
Old 08-08-2019, 04:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't know why. It wasn't his money that was solely supporting their household. He had a point if the servants really were being completely extravagant, but surely he knew, before he and Margaret married in 1960, that she had been a King's daughter and was the Queen's sister, and therefore used to a certain standard of living. That included employing a large staff, comparitively speaking.

Tony had lived in a pretty bohemian way in the 1950s in his studio flat near the Thames, but de he really expect Princess Margaret to live in a flat and do her own housework, lol! Surely he knew her better than that!
I think that Margo went to his flat and probably enjoyed the Bohemian fun of it when they were dating.. and he perhaps thoguth that she was eager to have a simpler more relaxed way of life. But Marg I believe was prone to swivelling..being the fun informal princess at times and then suddenly reverting to "Im the queen's sister and you're a nobody" mode. I suppose Tony was stupid not to realise this.. but - I can see why he mgith have expected her to be a bit more flexible. He probably did find the servants too many and wasteful and Margo too extravagant. ANd I think that he idd in his way have a genuine social conscience and a bit more knowledge of how less fortunate people lived in those days so he found it hard to accept that the RF lived so formally and extravagantly.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:01 AM
Serene Highness

Today in Royal History is the 89th birthday of Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon! She died age age 71 on 9 February 2002.

The Royal Fly®️
Old 09-28-2019, 12:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Funny, interesting, and a bit sad...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-lover-me.html

From a book by one of Margaret’s great friends...she introduced Roddy Llewellyn to the Princess.

Abraham Lincoln

Tags
countess of snowdon, princess margaret, wedding