The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-30-2017, 12:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
really? PRincess Alexandra's not a mature and useful woman?
Margo was Margo. She was lazy, selfish and spoiled. She did the minimum of royal duties and was noted fro doing them with frequent breaks in Mustique and a sour arrogant demeanour.
I've never heard of her having any particular talents, if you mean artistic ones. if she had, she could have used them either in private or public for her own and other's good.
Many royal women have been able to find jobs in the arts field, as it is "non controversial" and not commercial. Even if she couldnt' have actually worked in that filed, she could have devoted herself to something, and painted, or studied piano or some instrument to a high standard... or used her knowledge of in some way.
Margo probably moaned all her life that "oh dear she hadn't been let marry Peter T, and that had ruined her life." but odds are if she had, it would have broken up as he would have been older than her, and more serious and they would have become bored with each other.
Other than her artistic talents, she was reputed to have a quick mind. It's said she could have done well if she'd gone to university. I fully concur that she probably dined out on -for the rest of her life- that had she married Peter as she'd want to but was prevented from doing......................
My abject apologies to HRH Princess Alexandra.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:30 PM
Courtier

I do think Margaret's choice of vacation location played into the stories. It is easier to criticize someone vacationing in the Caribbean where it is warm and sunny with beaches than vacationing in the wilds of northern Scotland.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

What artisitic talents? Playing show tunes on the piano. My remembrance is that she did get a lot of criticism for not doing a large number of engagements. Its possible that she did a reasonable amount but that yes, her expenisve holidays didn't endear her to the less well off English who at that time didn't get foreign holidays very much. The queen was shrewd in spending much of her leisure time in Scotland.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:45 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I do think Margaret's choice of vacation location played into the stories. It is easier to criticize someone vacationing in the Caribbean where it is warm and sunny with beaches than vacationing in the wilds of northern Scotland.
Going to the Carribbean meant travelling first-class on British Airways with her whole entourage and all its costs.

Taking an holiday in Scotland required nothing of that sort.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

But the Queen and Prince Philip are exceptions in that they have for decades pretty well restricted themselves to taking their annual holidays in Scotland.

There are plenty of examples of Royals, not just from the BRF, but also including them, who journey to exotic and luxurious resorts all over Europe and elsewhere all through the year. And yes, they take nannies and other staff with them, and also join friends. The airlines accommodate them and I'm sure many don't pay top dollar for their flights.

I don't see why Princess Margaret should be singled out simply because she preferred the warm waters of the Caribbean to striding through the heather in tweeds at Balmoral.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

At the time, she was the only British Princess who did so on a regular basis. there weren't many senior royals back in the 60s and 70s.. and since she was seene (correctly) as snobby and arrogant and not keen on royal work, she wasn't liked much. So when the public alos felt "I only get 2 weeks at Butlins or Margate" it was bound to be something that added to her lack of popularity.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:28 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post

There are plenty of examples of Royals, not just from the BRF, but also including them, who journey to exotic and luxurious resorts all over Europe and elsewhere all through the year. And yes, they take nannies and other staff with them, and also join friends. The airlines accommodate them and I'm sure many don't pay top dollar for their flights.
Yes, plenty of royals go on holiday to exotic places.

But I don't think any of them ever take a 6-week holiday in the Caribbean between February and March like Margaret used to do.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen (and usually Prince Philip) have taken the end of July, the month of August, and much of September (going into October in recent years) to holiday in Scotland at Balmoral, and have done so for years. I would argue, if you are going to argue expenses, that being there with a full component of staff, family members, friends, dignitaries etc, would cost a considerable amount too.

I have also posted a considerable schedule of Royal visits, tours, charities and causes which occupied much of Margaret's time throughout the year, when she wasn't in the Caribbean, carrying out what you call a few 'menial duties'.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:24 PM
Gentry

Is it true that Margaret was left as a sort of regent during the Coronation Tour in 1953 like it's portrayed in The Crown?
Old 10-19-2017, 02:38 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
Is it true that Margaret was left as a sort of regent during the Coronation Tour in 1953 like it's portrayed in The Crown?
I may be wrong about this but I believe if the Queen was away on a foreign tour such as her Coronation tour, Margaret most likely acted as a Councillor of State during her absence. I didn't see The Crown so don't know what it was called in the show but its possible they got the terms Regent and Councilllor of State mixed up.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

She certainly was not a regent, but I think she was on the Council of State
Old 10-19-2017, 03:32 PM
Majesty

Margaret was a Councilor of State in her father's, George VI, reign from 21 August 1951 – 6 February 1952. She was a Councilor of State for her sister, Queen Elizabeth II from 6 February 1952 – 10 March 1985.

BTW: thanks for the correct spelling of Councilor. Some words throw me for a loop no matter how much I try to get them right.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

>? I'm sure you've spelled it right Osipi. Anyway its so hard on a computer with the damn thing jumping and changing words!!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:06 PM
Majesty

The Queen Mum was known for being fond of her drinks as was Margaret from all accounts that I've read. One thing about the royal family is that drinking and cocktails were an integral part of their day. Some have said that Margaret took to excessive drinking and with smoking, that played an integral part of her declining health in her later years. How true this is, I have no idea.

In his book "Behind Palace Doors: My Service As the Queen Mother's Equerry", Colin Burgess does go into detail of when and what the Queen Mum loved to drink and some of the anecdotes are humorous but he said relatively little about Margaret if my one brain cell is functioning today.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:39 PM
Majesty

One thing though about Margaret's smoking habit (and George VI's too) is that during that era, smoking was actually promoted as being good for you. Doctors would prescribe taking up smoking to calm the nerves and for weight loss and tobacco companies began to target women as potential smokers as WWII approached.

As far as drinking, nothing much was thought about it. Heavy drinking wasn't considered a real problem in that era. Alcoholism wasn't formally recognized as a disease until 1956.

So, its not unusual that during Margaret's lifetime that not much was thought of her excesses and the dangers she was putting on her health. It just was more or less accepted that these things are things that people do.

When smoking was good for you! Advertisers used to claim cigarettes would keep women slim | Daily Mail Online
Old 10-24-2017, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, Osipi, right up until the 1970s cigarettes were being promoted as 'manly' 'enjoyable', relaxing', 'sophisticated' etc. Awful to think of, now. Of course, George V smoked like a chimney too, odd in view of the fact that he had rather a weak constitution. And Edward VII enjoyed cigars and was constantly suffering from bronchitis in the last years of his life. Of course his obesity didn't help!
Old 10-24-2017, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

And smoking was promoted as sexy too! Horrors, these days, of course, for many of us.

Cigar Aficianado, the Magazine still exists and still shares the machismo, sexiness, air of intelligence that they think go along with enjoying the pleasure of tobacco intake.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Please note that some posts have been deleted as speculative. At this time, I would like to remind you of the following TRF rule:

Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing the more fanciful types of gossip and speculation, whether they originate in gossip magazines and websites or are simply fabricated.

If anyone has any questions, please direct them to a member of the TRF moderation team.

Zonk
TRF Administrator

Old 11-07-2017, 10:15 PM
Gentry

From The Crown's Season 2 trailer I think we'll get to see Margaret as fabulously rude.

Tags
countess of snowdon, princess margaret, wedding