Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (1930-2002)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that Diana's work for Lighthouse was certainly better known than Margaret's, and her "caring side" was limited. She did charity work but that's part of the royal role...
I agree Snowdon was not a great husband but I don't think she was the world's best wife and they problaby weren't suited to each other...

That's simple. Diana was the young attractive princess of Wales. Only in her late 20's and a fashion icon when she made her 'shake the hands' visit and after. She was the 'style icon', wife of the future king and so on.

Princess Margaret was in her 50's. Past her prime for media attention. When her sister's kids became adults, her spotlight dimmed a great deal. She was easily out shone by Diana and even Fergie in those days. They were the young fashionable exciting royals to follow.

Like Anne cant compete with the likes of Kate for media attention, Margaret was over shadowed. That in no way downplays the work she did with Lighthouse. Sadly because of the shallow attention of magazines and readers, it didn't get as much attention as Diana.

As for the 'she did charity work but that was part of her role' same can be said for Diana, Kate and any other royal lady.

Can I ask what you mean by "unfulfilled"?

Roderick, she had a mind that couldn't find an outlet that would have given her a job/role that would have satisfied her.

In a way I think she resembles Harry losing Diana, in that the early death of Margaret's father seems to have hit her harder than it did Elizabeth; not that Elizabeth loved her father any the less, but she had a husband and children for support, and a role which took up all her time. Margaret had only her grief.

It's the perennial problem of the spares but at least now they have available a proper education and more chances and possibilities in the world.

Roderick, she had a mind that couldn't find an outlet that would have given her a job/role that would have satisfied her.

In a way I think she resembles Harry losing Diana, in that the early death of Margaret's father seems to have hit her harder than it did Elizabeth; not that Elizabeth loved her father any the less, but she had a husband and children for support, and a role which took up all her time. Margaret had only her grief.

It's the perennial problem of the spares but at least now they have available a proper education and more chances and possibilities in the world.

I can't imagine that Margaret wanted a job, and as a Royal she did have a role..

She had such a lovely smile but even at that point she seems so much less approachable than the Queen. She really did feel her dignity was all she had, didn't she? :/

She seems much more approachable and down-to-earth in this interview. I think this was from 1994 or 1995.

Biography on Princess Margaret

Could someone recommend to me a good, reputable biography on Princess Margaret? Thanks.

Who in the British aristocracy could Princess Margaret Rose have married?

Princess Margaret only had two names: Margaret Rose. However, her older sister had three names: Elizabeth Alexandra Mary. Do you think that Margaret ever wondered why she did not have three names like Elizabeth?

Her mother wanted to orginaly name her Ann but her father in law the king disliked the name ,not sure why and they settle of Margaret.

Princess Margaret only had two names: Margaret Rose. However, her older sister had three names: Elizabeth Alexandra Mary. Do you think that Margaret ever wondered why she did not have three names like Elizabeth?

Margaret Rose was meant to be a double name, though, and she was publicly referred to that way throughout her youth (and later chose to drop the extra name herself). Elizabeth was never referred to as anything but Elizabeth.

The fact that she could have been “Ann Margaret” never fails to amuse and seem appropriate. :lol:

I wonder if that somehow played a role in the Princess Royal being named?

Margaret Rose was meant to be a double name, though, and she was publicly referred to that way throughout her youth (and later chose to drop the extra name herself). Elizabeth was never referred to as anything but Elizabeth.

The fact that she could have been “Ann Margaret” never fails to amuse and seem appropriate. :lol:

I wonder if that somehow played a role in the Princess Royal being named?

Margaret was a popular name for English Princesses prior to the Reformation but was not used for centuries.
The last one was Margaret Tudor later queen of Scots though I could be wrong!

Anne or Ann was used despite its associations with the Blessed Virgin Mary.

A couple of Victoria's granddaughters were called Margaret or the German version.. and quite a few relatives in the European families were Margarita or the like. I think myself that the Queen Mohter chose it because it was Scottish.. and that possibly the queen called her daughter Anne partly to please her mother, since she had not been allowed to call Marg by that name

She was one of the best dressed royals and she had quite the jewelry collection. Her Dior gown with the five strand pearl necklace were iconic. The necklace was sold for £276,000 after she died. If you want to check out on some of her jewels please check on Instagram @britishroyaljewels and @historyfamousjewels.

Her Dior gown with the five strand pearl necklace were iconic.

According to Lady Pamela Hicks the skirt of the dress was so big that Princess Margaret got stuck in a loo when wearing it.

She personally invited an African Princess, Princess Elizabeth Bagaya of Toro from Western Uganda to participate in a Commonwealth fashion show at Marlborough House in the 60s.

According to Lady Pamela Hicks the skirt of the dress was so big that Princess Margaret got stuck in a loo when wearing it.
Ohhh. But that dress was still iconic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who in the British aristocracy could Princess Margaret Rose have married?
She could have married the Duke of Marlborough or Duke of Buccleuch. There rumors particularly for the Buccleuch Duke, but she wasn’t interested. I think Robin Douglas-Holme wanted to be with her, but by the time she ended her affair with him, she decided to work on her marriage.

She could have married the Duke of Marlborough or Duke of Buccleuch. There rumors particularly for the Buccleuch Duke, but she wasn’t interested. I think Robin Douglas-Holme wanted to be with her, but by the time she ended her affair with him, she decided to work on her marriage.

The late Margaret was never short of suitors ;)

In the end she married the half brother of an Irish Earl!
Brendan Parsons, 7th Earl of Rosse turned 86 on October 21st!

Had it happened, it would have been a tragic year with the death of Lord Mountbatten at the hands of the IRA as well.

Wasn't Margaret bugged by the KGB in the 60s as well?
I read somewhere that she never said that, what happened was that an American journalist asked her about the IRA assassination and she said that the Irish people gave condolences, but the next day a rival newspaper made it up that she called the Irish pigs and as much as she and the journalist tried to deny it, the damage was already done.

She was so beautiful in her youth

I read somewhere that she never said that, what happened was that an American journalist asked her about the IRA assassination and she said that the Irish people gave condolences, but the next day a rival newspaper made it up that she called the Irish pigs and as much as she and the journalist tried to deny it, the damage was already done.

The Princess was forced to cancel her US trip ,there were large Protests in the USA over the alleged comments.
https://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/30/...-cancel-visit-to-us-by-princess-margaret.html

The Princess was forced to cancel her US trip ,there were large Protests in the USA over the alleged comments.
https://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/30/...-cancel-visit-to-us-by-princess-margaret.html

I found the article and if she made the remark only the Mayor of Chicago at the time she spoke with could confirm or deny it. I can't find that opinion but so far, her remark has always been officially denied:

Princess Margaret's comment sparked an FBI raid for an IRA assassin...

Back
Top Bottom