The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Royal Highness

Old 03-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Princess Margaret Compilation (1960-1968)

British Pathé

Old 03-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Princess Margaret Compilation (1960-1968)
I like the part where Princess Margaret and Antony got to view all the lovey flowers. These flowers are a gardener's delight!!
Old 03-14-2016, 06:01 AM
Majesty

Princess Margaret had chauffeur destroy romantic Royal correspondence | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-25-2016, 01:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Carrie Fisher reveals her father Eddie and Princess Margaret had passionate affair | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-15-2016, 03:01 PM
Majesty

Stephanie Beacham to play Princess Margaret on stage

https://t.co/WZKnEkFdds
Old 07-15-2016, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Great! She is a wonderful actress!
Old 07-23-2016, 02:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Really? I never knew this. Which wishes in Diana's will were ignored? And how come they got away with that..without having their heads chopped off by the ultra-loyal Di-brigade...
It wasn't in her Will. It was a letter of Wishes, which (IM not a legal expert) hasn't got the force of a Will. she wrote a letter of wishes asking that part of her fortune should be distributed to her godchildren and the SPencer family ignored this, just giving the 17 Godchildren token presents.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

10 Interesting Facts About Princess Margaret Of United Kingdom, Countess of Snowdon

Royal Splendor: 10 Interesting Facts About Princess Margaret Of United Kingdom, Countess of Snowdon
Old 09-12-2016, 02:45 AM
Majesty

Stephanie Beacham: 'We need more difficult women like Princess Margaret'
Old 09-18-2016, 02:33 AM
Majesty

Why Princess Margaret is the PERFECT subject for new play | Theatre | Entertainment | Daily Express
Old 10-16-2016, 02:38 AM
Majesty

New play out on Princess Margaret's affair with hard-man actor Bindon | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 10-21-2016, 09:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Margaret entered doomed marriage because of lover's letter | Daily Mail Online

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-21-2016, 11:57 PM
Heir Apparent

If true I think the whole idea of a pact that neither would marry after their romance finished was a mad one anyway on Peter and Margaret's behalf. I believe Margaret was in love with Tony Armstrong-Jones but perhaps had doubts about his ability to be faithful, given his lifestyle up till then. Those doubts turned out to be justified, but she was nearly 30 and probably wanted to settle down and have children.

The whole thing was very sad, but given Margaret's temperament and upbringing I do wonder whether, if she had been permitted to marry Peter Townsend, the marriage would have lasted. I just can't see Princess Margaret settling down to a restricted lifestyle in Europe with not much money, relatively speaking, and a husband who was a private citizen.

I have read that Townsend in old age and in an extremely happy second marriage, would refer to those times with a perceptible sense of relief that things had turned out the way they had.

At the time of his father's death I believe Giles Townsend, the elder son from Peter's unhappy first marriage spoke to newspapers implying that his mother Rosemary had been wronged and that she had turned to another man in consolation.

She had become the guilty party in the divorce, it was implied, because it was unthinkable that Princess Margaret could be sued as co-respondent. Giles was about eleven at the time of his parent's divorce and was obviously sympathetic to his mother, Rosemary, who later married twice more. I don't know the truth of any of it, but it's logical, I suppose, that Rosemary may have guessed that her husband, who was away from her for long periods of time as Equerry to the King, was in love with another woman.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
If true I think the whole idea of a pact that neither would marry after their romance finished was a mad one anyway on Peter and Margaret's behalf. I believe Margaret was in love with Tony Armstrong-Jones but perhaps had doubts about his ability to be faithful, given his lifestyle up till then. Those doubts turned out to be justified, but she was nearly 30 and probably wanted to settle down and have children.

The whole thing was very sad, but given Margaret's temperament and upbringing I do wonder whether, if she had been permitted to marry Peter Townsend, the marriage would have lasted. I just can't see Princess Margaret settling down to a restricted lifestyle in Europe with not much money, relatively speaking, and a husband who was a private citizen.

I have read that Townsend in old age and in an extremely happy second marriage, would refer to those times with a perceptible sense of relief that things had turned out the way they had.

At the time of his father's death I believe Giles Townsend, the elder son from Peter's unhappy first marriage spoke to newspapers implying that his mother Rosemary had been wronged and that she had turned to another man in consolation.

She had become the guilty party in the divorce, it was implied, because it was unthinkable that Princess Margaret could be sued as co-respondent. Giles was about eleven at the time of his parent's divorce and was obviously sympathetic to his mother, Rosemary, who later married twice more. I don't know the truth of any of it, but it's logical, I suppose, that Rosemary may have guessed that her husband, who was away from her for long periods of time as Equerry to the King, was in love with another woman.
I happen to think Margaret would've been happy with Peter, if, there weren't any restrictions on a possible union. Thats was the sad part. Margaret and Townsend should've been allowed to marry without any restrictions.

I guess the timing and era was against them.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-07-2016, 02:06 AM
Majesty

The Crown actress reveals Princess Margaret remained bitter over not marrying divorced lover | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-25-2016, 08:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Despite their separation, Princess Margaret did not believe she and Antony Armstrong-Jones would divorce. She was surprised when Lord Snowdon asked to dissolve their marriage. Margaret said she would not stand in his way, especially if he wanted to remarry.
Their marriage was not only bad but, if I remember correctly, there was domestic violence involved.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-30-2016, 01:29 AM
Majesty

Touching letters between Queen's sister and Mrs T reveal their astonishing bond | Daily Mail Online
Old 12-30-2016, 04:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
If true I think the whole idea of a pact that neither would marry after their romance finished was a mad one anyway on Peter and Margaret's behalf. I bel

At
I dont beleive she woudl have been happy had she had to give up "royal duties" (such as she did - she was never the most active royal) and to live quietly as the wife of an ordinary man. The RF could have made sure she had enough money to befit her status as an ex royal who had been brought up in luxury, but It would not have been the same as what she would have as a princess and the attention and service she got as a royal. And Im sure she would have been bored and resentful when she didnt have the same status or luxury.
Townsend would have probably found her spoiled and tiresome once they had the familiarity of marriage. I tink that he DID make a happy second marriage and was sad to have lost Marg but perhaps later did feel that things had worked out for the best for him. But she was IMO too spoiled and selfish... Tony Snowdon problaby got fed up iwht her too, and took off to other women and she had other men.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Their marriage was not only bad but, if I remember correctly, there was domestic violence involved.
News to me... what evidence si there for this?

Tags
countess of snowdon, princess margaret, wedding