The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

It seems that Mr Brown has had some success Robert Brown wins legal victory in bid to see Princess Margaret's will | Mail Online

He has been granted permission to seek judicial review of a refusal to allow him access under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOI) to documents he says show there was a 'secret judicial process' for sealing Royal wills. Giving him leave, Mr Justice Phillips said at London's High Court that there were 'compelling' constitutional reasons to allow Mr Brown's legal challenge to go ahead - and that was not altered by a past Court of Appeal observation that Mr Brown's claim to be Princess Margaret's son was 'scandalous and irrational'. The Judge said the case gave rise 'to important points of principle and practice' regarding open justice and the public interest.

Further reading of the article makes it clear that this is not saying that he has any claim but rather that the sealing of the wills and the ruling of other courts etc may not have been correct.

Mr Brown can now appeal to have a judicial review of his application to see the wills - no guarantee that he will have that application granted but he can now basically apply again.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

More on Mr Brown from the BBC

BBC News - Jersey man wins royal parentage victory

Old 12-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Serene Highness

This has to be about the stupidest thing I've ever seen, IMO.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

There are two issues here though:

1. the man making the claim to be Margaret's son - probably a little 'mad'

2. the legality of the way in which the wills are dealt with - and that is what the courts have ruled on - that maybe the wills shouldn't have been sealed and should have been made public like everybody else's wills

This decision has nothing to do with #1 and all to do with #2.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There are two issues here though:

1. the man making the claim to be Margaret's son - probably a little 'mad'

2. the legality of the way in which the wills are dealt with - and that is what the courts have ruled on - that maybe the wills shouldn't have been sealed and should have been made public like everybody else's wills

This decision has nothing to do with #1 and all to do with #2.
I agree Iluvbertie - sometimes the easiest way to shut someone up is to let them see they have not been deceived. Sun Tzu calls it letting water flow downhill.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Princess Margaret: Her alleged son wants to reveal hidden secrets royal
Princesse Margaret : Son prétendu fils caché veut révéler les secrets royaux

https://translate.google.com.tr/tran...33%2F1&act=url
Old 01-09-2014, 01:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

It seems to me a simple DNA test could end this discussion permanently. If he wont take it that tells you something. If the Palace wont give M's DNA that tells you something else!
Old 01-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Serene Highness

The Palace cannot place themselves in a position whereby they find it necessary to respond to every nut job out there. It was one thing to prove the connection with the DOE and the Russian royal family but quite another to set a precedent where they must respond to every cuckoo in the land. :)
Old 01-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
It seems to me a simple DNA test could end this discussion permanently. If he wont take it that tells you something. If the Palace wont give M's DNA that tells you something else!
If Mr. Brown won't take the DNA test, this would tell really a lot.
But if the Palace refused to give Princess Margaret's DNA sample, I don't think it would tell so much; after all, they can't allow themselved to set such a precedent.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Margaret was cremated so the palace doesn't a ready source of her DNA. They would have to test it against Sarah, David or the Queen. But why open yourself up to every crackpot requesting DNA from various royals.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

The palace not giving a DNA sample doesn't say anything about the legitimacy of this claim - it says that they're not going to open themselves up to every person who claims to be a long lost child of a royal.

This guy has to know that he's not going to get a DNA sample from Margaret's family, so it doesn't really matter if he's lying or not in his claims as he has to know that they'll never prove him wrong.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
The Palace cannot place themselves in a position whereby they find it necessary to respond to every nut job out there. It was one thing to prove the connection with the DOE and the Russian royal family but quite another to set a precedent where they must respond to every cuckoo in the land. :)

Exactly.

Philip's DNA was used to prove (or disprove had that been the case) that the remains were in fact those of known and acknowledged family members - those of his grandmother's sister and her family (he would have had the same female line DNA as Alexandra and her children due to his descent from Alexandra's sister).

To force The Queen, as Margaret's sister, or her children, to provide DNA to prove or disprove a 'believed' by the claimant and not acknowledged or accepted by the royals themselves leaves them open to every crackpot doing the same thing.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

On the other hand, it definitively squashes said crack pot immediately and permanently.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Courtier

Even I dont support entertaining every nut job claiming to be a long-lost child of a royal, or a real heir to the throne. But just wanna know wat s the legal system in UK..
I mean its the court that should decide right? If a person can request for a DNA test or not.. How the "Palace" decides?
Old 01-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't see any compelling evidence that would cause a court to order a DNA sample. Even if he was Margaret's son, he is illegitimate and not in the line of succession. The will was executed so if he was left something (highly unlikely), it would have be distributed.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
On the other hand, it definitively squashes said crack pot immediately and permanently.

It's like the heads of the Hydra; you cut one head and ten new will spring up. The world is full of people who thinks, they are Jesus Christ or a lost child or I don't know what.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I don't see any compelling evidence that would cause a court to order a DNA sample. Even if he was Margaret's son, he is illegitimate and not in the line of succession. The will was executed so if he was left something (highly unlikely), it would have be distributed.
Not necessarily - as we saw with Diana's will - the wishes of the deceased can be ignored or overridden.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Not necessarily - as we saw with Diana's will - the wishes of the deceased can be ignored or overridden.
Really? I never knew this. Which wishes in Diana's will were ignored? And how come they got away with that..without having their heads chopped off by the ultra-loyal Di-brigade...
Old 04-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

The December 17, 2012 edition of People magazine had an exquisite photograph of Princess Margaret Rose near a climbing red rose.
I thought how appropriate to have roses with a princess whose middle name is Rose.
HereditaryPrincess, The photos of Princess Margaret are absolutely lovely!
As a child: She looks like it could be Easter Sunday.
As a baby with her mother: The Duchess of York has a pretty hairstyle. Princess Margaret's painting captures her childhood glee beautifully.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I stumbled across these photos of Princess Margaret from various stages in her life whilst browsing on Pinterest last night:

As a child ~ As a baby with her mother ~ I've never seen this photo of Princess Margaret before, at first I didn't think it was her – she looks different here ~ Princess Margaret horse riding/racing ~ Princess Margaret with Diana, Princess of Wales ~ Princess Margaret with long hair in 1969 ~ Princess Margaret and a toddler Lady Sarah Chatto ~ Princess Margaret with Prince George, Duke of Kent and his wife Princess Marina ~ A painting of Princess Margaret done in her childhood ~ Princess Margaret and the then Princess Elizabeth at Girl Guides

Since Princess Margaret doesn't have her own picture thread, I thought I'd post these here - at first I wasn't sure whether they belonged in the picture thread for the BRF in general or this thread.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank

Tags
countess of snowdon, princess margaret, wedding