Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (1930-2002)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great! She is a wonderful actress!

Really? I never knew this. Which wishes in Diana's will were ignored? And how come they got away with that..without having their heads chopped off by the ultra-loyal Di-brigade...
It wasn't in her Will. It was a letter of Wishes, which (IM not a legal expert) hasn't got the force of a Will. she wrote a letter of wishes asking that part of her fortune should be distributed to her godchildren and the SPencer family ignored this, just giving the 17 Godchildren token presents.

If true I think the whole idea of a pact that neither would marry after their romance finished was a mad one anyway on Peter and Margaret's behalf. I believe Margaret was in love with Tony Armstrong-Jones but perhaps had doubts about his ability to be faithful, given his lifestyle up till then. Those doubts turned out to be justified, but she was nearly 30 and probably wanted to settle down and have children.

The whole thing was very sad, but given Margaret's temperament and upbringing I do wonder whether, if she had been permitted to marry Peter Townsend, the marriage would have lasted. I just can't see Princess Margaret settling down to a restricted lifestyle in Europe with not much money, relatively speaking, and a husband who was a private citizen.

I have read that Townsend in old age and in an extremely happy second marriage, would refer to those times with a perceptible sense of relief that things had turned out the way they had.

At the time of his father's death I believe Giles Townsend, the elder son from Peter's unhappy first marriage spoke to newspapers implying that his mother Rosemary had been wronged and that she had turned to another man in consolation.

She had become the guilty party in the divorce, it was implied, because it was unthinkable that Princess Margaret could be sued as co-respondent. Giles was about eleven at the time of his parent's divorce and was obviously sympathetic to his mother, Rosemary, who later married twice more. I don't know the truth of any of it, but it's logical, I suppose, that Rosemary may have guessed that her husband, who was away from her for long periods of time as Equerry to the King, was in love with another woman.

Last edited:
If true I think the whole idea of a pact that neither would marry after their romance finished was a mad one anyway on Peter and Margaret's behalf. I believe Margaret was in love with Tony Armstrong-Jones but perhaps had doubts about his ability to be faithful, given his lifestyle up till then. Those doubts turned out to be justified, but she was nearly 30 and probably wanted to settle down and have children.

The whole thing was very sad, but given Margaret's temperament and upbringing I do wonder whether, if she had been permitted to marry Peter Townsend, the marriage would have lasted. I just can't see Princess Margaret settling down to a restricted lifestyle in Europe with not much money, relatively speaking, and a husband who was a private citizen.

I have read that Townsend in old age and in an extremely happy second marriage, would refer to those times with a perceptible sense of relief that things had turned out the way they had.

At the time of his father's death I believe Giles Townsend, the elder son from Peter's unhappy first marriage spoke to newspapers implying that his mother Rosemary had been wronged and that she had turned to another man in consolation.

She had become the guilty party in the divorce, it was implied, because it was unthinkable that Princess Margaret could be sued as co-respondent. Giles was about eleven at the time of his parent's divorce and was obviously sympathetic to his mother, Rosemary, who later married twice more. I don't know the truth of any of it, but it's logical, I suppose, that Rosemary may have guessed that her husband, who was away from her for long periods of time as Equerry to the King, was in love with another woman.

I happen to think Margaret would've been happy with Peter, if, there weren't any restrictions on a possible union. Thats was the sad part. Margaret and Townsend should've been allowed to marry without any restrictions.

I guess the timing and era was against them.

Despite their separation, Princess Margaret did not believe she and Antony Armstrong-Jones would divorce. She was surprised when Lord Snowdon asked to dissolve their marriage. Margaret said she would not stand in his way, especially if he wanted to remarry.

Their marriage was not only bad but, if I remember correctly, there was domestic violence involved.

If true I think the whole idea of a pact that neither would marry after their romance finished was a mad one anyway on Peter and Margaret's behalf. I bel

At
I dont beleive she woudl have been happy had she had to give up "royal duties" (such as she did - she was never the most active royal) and to live quietly as the wife of an ordinary man. The RF could have made sure she had enough money to befit her status as an ex royal who had been brought up in luxury, but It would not have been the same as what she would have as a princess and the attention and service she got as a royal. And Im sure she would have been bored and resentful when she didnt have the same status or luxury.
Townsend would have probably found her spoiled and tiresome once they had the familiarity of marriage. I tink that he DID make a happy second marriage and was sad to have lost Marg but perhaps later did feel that things had worked out for the best for him. But she was IMO too spoiled and selfish... Tony Snowdon problaby got fed up iwht her too, and took off to other women and she had other men.

Princess Margaret anniversary: Queen’s sister in pictures | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

New files show how Churchill gave money to Royal Princesses who is not able to find wealthy husbands to support them

Churchill gave money to princesses because there were no rich men | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Her Rude Highness: Beautiful, yes, but not particularly charming, CRAIG BROWN on how Princess Margaret turned pickiness into an art form as she went out of her way to put ruffle feathers and put strangers at unease

The IRA plotted to murder Princes Margaret for calling the Irish 'pigs' during an official tour to the US in 1979 a new biography has revealed.

IRA 'plotted to kill Princess Margaret' | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, eya.
Princess Margaret was always lovely to look at. :flowers:

Police probe claims TV wrestler 'dealt cocaine' to Princess Margaret | Daily Star

Scotland Yard drugs officers investigated a top TV wrestler over claims he was supplying cocaine to Princess Margaret.

The Daily Star Sunday was told about the sensational probe by an officer connected to the case.

But our mole, who has asked not to be identified, claims it was “covered-up” by police bosses to protect her reputation.

I've never liked Princess Margaret. Far too entitled, snobbish and not hard working enough. Totally different to the sensible and dutiful Queen Elizabeth.

And I've never bought the story of the poor princess having to give up the love of her life for duty. Margaret was only ever in love with her lfiestyle.

Having to give up the title of Princess, the status of HRH, her Civil List allowance and her place in the line of succession? Not in a million years.

We're talking about the same woman who demanded to have a servant standing next to her at all times during receptions with an ashtray in hand so she didn't have to look for a place to flick her cigarettes.

love with her lfiestyle.

Having to give up the title of Princess, the status of HRH, her Civil List allowance and her place in the line of succession? Not in a million years.

We're talking about the same woman who demanded to have a servant standing next to her at all times during receptions with an ashtray in hand so she didn't have to look for a place to flick her cigarettes.
she wuodl not have had to give up her title of princess or HRH. or her place in the succession. however, had she married a divorced man back then it is likely that she would have been taken off the Civil list and not done royal duties, and had to retire into a pirvate life.

she wuodl not have had to give up her title of princess or HRH. or her place in the succession. however, had she married a divorced man back then it is likely that she would have been taken off the Civil list and not done royal duties, and had to retire into a pirvate life.

Taken off the Civil List? How would she manage? Townsend couldn't afford a single maid.

It's very likely that Margaret would have been left some money from her father's will and from Queen Mary's. Also, no doubt her mother and sister would have helped her privately. However, it would have still been a way of life without many of the luxuries she had been used to as a King's daughter.

It's very likely that Margaret would have been left some money from her father's will and from Queen Mary's. Also, no doubt her mother and sister would have helped her privately. However, it would have still been a way of life without many of the luxuries she had been used to as a King's daughter.

Margaret was left penniless on King George's death. The bulk of his estate went to the Queen Mother.

That's why she was given a Civil List allowance in 1952, otherwise she would have to live with handouts from her mother and her sister.

she would have been given a Civil list allowance because she was doing royal duties. I have never heard that she was left penniless.. and evene if George VI had been so remiss, her mother and sister would certainly have helped out...

Margaret was left penniless on King George's death. The bulk of his estate went to the Queen Mother.

That's why she was given a Civil List allowance in 1952, otherwise she would have to live with handouts from her mother and her sister.

She was not left penniless at all.

She had a trust fund from her grandfather, grandmother and father.

Of course the King left the bulk of his estate to either his wife or his successor as that meant no death duties. Anything he left to Margaret would have been subject to death duties while anything left 'monarch to monarch' is free of death duties (why the present Queen will leave the vast bulk of her estate to Charles - to avoid death duties).

Margaret would always have received a civil list payment as she was the daughter of the King. It was just a matter of timing. The fact that is was 1952 and the king died then is coincidental. The negotiations on the size of the Civil List for Margaret, in post-war austerity Britain, had begun in 1951, in the lead-up to her turning 21 as was normal practice in earlier reigns.

that's what I thought... Very unlikely that he would have left her badly off...

It is unlikely she was left penniless. The king knew Elizabeth would have the Estates and duchy to provide for her in the future.

Thank you for making it clear. Somehow I had the idea she had been left with no money and that was why she was given a Civil List allowance.

On another note, is it true that even Princess Margaret's children had to call her "Your Royal Highness" in public?

I know she would drop friends if they ever failed to address her as Ma'am.

where do you find this information please? I doubt if Margaret's children were expected to address her as YRH in public

On another note, is it true that even Princess Margaret's children had to call her "Your Royal Highness" in public?

I know she would drop friends if they ever failed to address her as Ma'am.

That wouldn't surprise me in the least - public life was still very formal in Britain during Margaret's lifetime and she was very conscious of her place in the family as The Queen's only sibling. It's only been in the past few years that The Queen's grandchildren have started to refer to her as "granny" in public - and that has only been Harry, Beatrice, and Eugenie. Prince Charles will occasionally refer to her informally as "mummy" but only for effect - like at the Jubilee. As we saw in the documentary he made for her 90th he personally calls her Mama - with the emphasis on the second syllable. Anne, Andrew, and Edward refer to her as "Her Majesty" or "The Queen" in public as do Sophie, Peter, Zara, and even William. Formality still reigns in public. :flowers:

Last edited:
I've never read, in any biography or even newspaper article that Princess Margaret expected her children to call her 'Your Royal Highness' in public. Where are you getting these stories about Princess Margaret's life, finances etc from, Kronprinz?
Margaret was inclined, especially as a younger woman, to expect formality from friends and acquaintances when they addressed her. However, she lived through much more informal times in the 1990's and I just do not believe that she expected her children to call her anything more than 'Mummy' both in public and in private. If you could provide a link from some reputable source that would be great. If not.....

It is said that she veereds between formality and informality.. with her friends..saying "Call me Margaret" and then going "I'm your Royal Highness" when it suited her. and same with how she allowed people to refer to other royals..
however I agree that I doubt if she expected her children to call her YRH in public.. If they were referring to her to someone else she might expect tehm to say "my Mother Princess M" or "HRH"..

That wouldn't surprise me in the least - public life was still very formal in Britain during Margaret's lifetime and she was very conscious of her place in the family as The Queen's only sibling. It's only been in the past few years that The Queen's grandchildren have Formality still reigns in public. :flowers:

but that's referring to her, not speaking to her directly in public. If they were at a public engagement would Charles call out "ma'am" or "YOur Majesty" to the queen or say "Mama, please can I introduce you to..."

Back
Top Bottom