The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

As Chat Noir would say, "Never, EVER loan your books out!"
I've lost too many that way!

Yes they were young, and lovely and very much in fashion, Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon. And he's exceptional at photography as well.
Would she do it all over again? Change her mind? Marry the man she really loved?

Old 06-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think she would ever give up be "The Princess Margaret", for being Mrs. Peter Townsend. Some say it was her religious convictions that made her reject Townsend. But, in my opinion, that seem silly, as Townsend's situation did not change from when she started her romance with him. Times change, but people rarely do. She may have married him and still ended up divorced. He would have been treated to the same second class treatment that Snowdon received. Townsend was better off marrying his Belgian wife, with whom he had 3 children and remained married for the rest of his life.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Aristocracy

Red Tops

I gather the term "red tops" comes from the flash of red ink at the top of the first page. "Yellow journalism" comes the yellowish hue of the paper the tabloids were printed on in the USA (probably due to using unbleached paper or paper with limited bleaching).
Old 06-06-2008, 04:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

I too agree that Princess Margaret would not have been happy as a plain Mrs Townsend and that would have been the argument that made her give up any idea of marrying him, also she may have been told she would lose her royal income. Isn´t it amazing that when Peter Townsend did marry again it was to a Princess Margaret lookalike. In fact in some photos they could be taken for identical twins. Two very beautiful women.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Commoner

Please,look my collection of Margaret`s photos at Images of Queen Elisabeth and Princess Margaret
Old 06-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASSE15 View Post
Please,look my collection of Margaret`s photos at Images of Queen Elisabeth and Princess Margaret
This is a FABULOUS photo collection!! Thank you for sharing. Most of the photos of the young princesses were new to me. I esp. enjoyed the photos of Pss Elizabeth w her children when they were small. Both Elizabeth & Margaret were so pretty and graceful. I know the world has changed and times have changed but the BRF just doesn't seem as dignified and regal as it did when the princesses were young. Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:28 PM

I really love your pictures LASSE15, they are great! How did you manage to have such a collection? Thank you very much for sharing!
Old 06-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Commoner

</title> <title>Images of Queen Elisabeth and Princess Margaret - PRINCESS MARGARET IN ZANZIBAR
Old 07-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Aristocracy

Thumbs down

Quote:

Please DO NOT claim other people's work as your own - and you wonder why some of us don't even bother anymore !!!

* How very droll *
Old 07-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PssMarie-Elisabeth View Post
Please DO NOT claim other people's work as your own - and you wonder why some of us don't even bother anymore !!!

* How very droll *
I don't think Lassie was claiming the work as his own, just posting a link to a collection of photos he owns, which is OK as far as the forum rules are concerned.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you Lassie 15, those photographs are wonderful. What beautiful young women the Queen and Princess Margaret were. I remember seeing the Queen on a few occasions in Australia and what amazed me more than anything else was her beautiful colouring and complexion. Somewhere about that time my husband was a member of her guard of honour when she made a visit to Portugal and he often speaks, even now, of how beautiful she looked.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:43 AM

Cool I saw this and thought of you...

Hi all,

As I know there are countless collectors among you... I thought I'd draw your attention to this item I stumbled across on ebay that I thought might be of interest.

It's a commemorative magazine for Princess Margaret's wedding.
"The Royal Wedding In Pictures".

Looks like a bargain... but what do I know!

Enjoy.

GB.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Good find GBM. .
Old 10-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Royal Highness

Princess Margaret was indeed a very beautiful woman. It´s a great shame that she wasn´t allowed to marry her great love, Captain Townsend. I think her life would have been very different.
But, anyway, she did manage to enjoy herself and bring up two lovely children.
May she rest in peace.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Nobility

Margaret was so pretty, she reminds me of the model Bianca Balti. A shame she did not a very happy life in terms of husbandry.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pssmarie-elisabeth View Post
please do not claim other people's work as your own - and you wonder why some of us don't even bother anymore !!!

* how very droll *
this collection is my property!!!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

My PBS channel is running a show tonight called Princess Margaret - A Love Story, at 7:00 p.m. Central if you're in the United States.

It looks to be fictionalized, the ads show an actress rather than the Princess, and probably focuses on the Townsend problem.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
this collection is my property!!!!!

And a marvellous collection it is too. What beautiful young women these sisters were.
Thanks again for showing it to us.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Bella, I think you're romanticizing the young princesses... although I don't think HM was ever a party girl, Margaret got into a lot of trouble in the 1950s. It's just been so long we've forgotten.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

I remember well the trouble that Princess Margaret got into but it is much different to what would be calleded trouble these days. Her friendship with a young American girl was criticized especially when they were seen dancing the "can can" on a table at a night club.....really how scandalous does that seem nowadays? I forgot she smoked.......dreadful!
Then she fell in love with a divorced man.........the innocent party to boot.
Beautiful Princess Margaret. A King´s daughter, a Queen´s sister, talented, everyone spoke of how well she played the piano, sang and could mimic anyone she met. She could wear the family jewels so beautifully and and was so photogenic, her colouring was perfect and when she had to represent the family it was in an impeccable way.
She was so talented but in a position that she couldn´t use those talents to her advantage.
Later on she was described as difficult. No wonder.

Tags
countess of snowdon, princess margaret, wedding