The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-03-2016, 11:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Ish, You mentioned that Louise's possible marriage to Prince Albert of Prussia was rejected because her mother thought another Prussian marriage would aggravate the Danes.
Princess Louise and the Marquess of Lorne married in 1871.
Eight years later, in 1879, Louise's brother, Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught, married Princess Louise Margaret of Prussia.
Did Arthur and Louise Margaret's marriage aggravate the Danes?
Did their wedding upset Princess Louise, Marchioness of Lorne?

Louise was not disappointed nor was she upset when Arthur wed. Louise is said to have been opposed to marrying Any prince. She chose her husband. Edward was opposed as the groom's dad was ally of Gladstone. Victoria approved, thinking fresh blood was a good idea.

Victoria to her son

Quote:
That which you object to [that Louise should marry a subject] I feel certain will be for Louise's happiness and for the peace and quiet of the family ... Times have changed; great foreign alliances are looked on as causes of trouble and anxiety, and are of no good. What could be more painful than the position in which our family were placed during the wars with Denmark, and between Prussia and Austria? ... You may not be aware, as I am, with what dislike the marriages of Princesses of the Royal Family with small German Princes (German beggars as they most insultingly were called) ... As to position, I see no difficulty whatever; Louise remains what she is, and her husband keeps his rank ... only being treated in the family as a relation when we are together
Same year Arthur wed, she left for Canada for 5 years. My province, thought by some to be named for her dad, was named for her Louise Caroline Alberta.

The couple sadly had no kids. John had 4 brothers and 7 sisters. His eldest brother Archibald died a year before John so his son Niall was Duke. Niall died childless and had no brothers. In 1949 when he died, John's next brother Walter as well as Walter's oldest son were dead. So it was Walter's grandson, John's great-nephew Ian to inherit. The current duke is Ian's grandson Torquil.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Louise handed back the colours of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Princess Louise handed back the colours of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

Thanks for this!! We're direct descendants of the Dukes of Argyll, so when I see anything in Princess Louise's thread that's new, my eyes & ears tend to perk up. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 08-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Tiggersk8, Glad that you liked Princess Louise handing back the colours of the Argyll Highlanders. It is extremely good footage for a 1919 film.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:24 AM
Majesty

Five-bed 19th century loch-side house at Rosneath goes on the market for £795,000* | Daily Mail Online

Five-bed 19th century loch-side house built for Victoria's fourth girl Princess Louise goes in market.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Louise inspected a Scottish regiment.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Louise looks a very vigorous and spry woman in her sixties here. She was always careful of her figure and diet etc., and that obviously paid off in her later years.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:45 AM
Majesty

Ferry Inn built daughter Queen Victoria by Edwin Lutyen | Daily Mail Online

Tags
biography, british history, duchess of argyll, pictures, princess louise, queen victoria, queen victoria's children