The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Courtier

Royal wedding cake from 1871 goes on sale - Telegraph

Old 07-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Commoner

Louise's art

Does anyone have any pictures of or links to any of Princess Louise's art?
Thanks!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennybenny View Post
Does anyone have any pictures of or links to any of Princess Louise's art?
Thanks!
The only three pictures I could find of Princess Louise's sculptures. The first is Queen Victoria on the grounds of Kensington Palace, London. The second is the Boer War Memorial in St. Paul's Cathedral, and the third is Queen Victoria at McGill University, Montreal. All of these were works of Princess Louise. There are two other works at St. Mildred's Church on the Isle of Wight, one of which is a memorial to Prince Henry of Battenberg, but I've had no luck finding a picture of it.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...laceLondon.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...hedralLond.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...sityMontre.jpg
Old 07-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Wow...I didn't know these sculptures were done by Princess Louise. Fantastic! What a talent.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Wow...I didn't know these sculptures were done by Princess Louise. Fantastic! What a talent.
Agreed!
I didnt realize she had done the statue at Kensington Palace...
I do remember seeing that last summer in London and admiring it, though.

thanks for posting the pics!
Old 05-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Recently,I've read some articles and book about Queen Victoria and her daughters.I 've got particularly interested in some unclarified details of Louise's biography.She seems to have been the most long-living,artistic and unusual among her siblings.I wish to find more links and reliable information to these points:
1.Is it true that at the age of 19 years old Louise had a baby before marriage?(the source "Queen Victoria" by Christopher Hibbert)If it 's true,what was the destiny of this kid.
2.The supposed bisexuality of her husband that could have caused a childless marriage
3.The cause of childless marriage:it was either a illness or a conscious step as an act of rebelness to matenal epoch
4.Louise was said to have several lovers:an artist,a sculptor and even a colonel and a supposed attempt to seduce Prince Henry of Battenberg
5.What was the real chracter of the princess:an angelic or demonic one?Some characterized her as a vixen,the others mentioned her cordiality and kindness,where is the true personality behind the myths?
Old 05-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Aristocracy

Lenora, some years ago I read a Louise bio but I don't recall that she had a child out of wedlock, but I do recall reading that an illness, as a girl? may have caused sterility but you may rest assured that bisexuality, of itself, is not a reason for childlessness. There may well have been a "spark" between her and Liko Battenberg, especially as it is unlikely that her husband found her attractive in that way and there does seem to have been a less than sisterly rapport between Louise and Beatrice. As to other lovers, she was a woman with artistic talents who understandably would be drawn to likeminded people, some of whom lived by a set of rules quite different from those she had previously experienced!!! Whether she was angel or demon would depend largely on to whom the question was posed. I feel sure I know what Beatrice thought of her!!!! whilst others may have seen her as goodness personified. I think she was much like the rest of us, multifaceted-human.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Serene Highness

I seriously doubt Louise had a child before she married. As for her relationship with Helena and Beatrice, it was probably a little strained at times but from what I have read, they soon forgot their differences and got along fairly well.

Louise was an artist and sculptor who probably had a more liberal outlook than her family. This undoubtedly caused some friction in the royal family but what large family is without this problem? She may have been jealous of Beatrice's sexual relationship with her husband but then again, by all accounts, Louise was considered to be the most attractive of Victoria's daughters. Whether Louise had lovers is conjecture but most likely made up and she probably remained loyal to her husband.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Gentry

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post in, but did anyone else see this article in the Daily Mail?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-cover-up.html

Do you think this story could possibly be true?
Old 11-17-2013, 04:00 AM
Administrator

The Mystery of Princess Louise, Queen Victoria's daughter, secret love and Royal sex scandal | Mail Online

Queen Victoria's ravishing daughter, a secret love and a sex scandal the Royal Family's STILL trying to cover up

Mysteries about Princess Louise revealed in new biography
She allegedly gave birth before she was married and hid her pregnancy
Comes nine years after Nick Locock claimed he was her great-grandson
Court rejected plans to exhume body of Henry Lock to prove his royal ties

Every few years, some (usually) deluded soul tries to persuade the newspapers or the courts that he’s a direct descendant of some dead member of the Royal Family or other — invariably from the wrong side of the blanket. Little wonder, then, that no one paid much attention when Nick Locock took to the law in 2004. Once and for all, he said, he wanted to prove that he was the great-grandson of Princess Louise, the most beautiful — and least conventional — of Queen Victoria’s five daughters. His claim seemed unlikely, to say the least. If the as yet unmarried princess had indeed given birth secretly to his grandfather, Henry, he was asking us to believe that Queen Victoria — the moral guardian of her era — had colluded to wipe the record clean.

But Locock, a retired racing commentator from Hampshire, was so convinced that he wanted the court’s permission to retrieve a sample of Henry’s DNA. This would have involved drilling a hole in his grandfather’s coffin at the Locock family vault in Sevenoaks, Kent, and removing a sample of bone. After that, Nick maintained, Henry’s DNA could conceivably be compared with an existing DNA sample from one of Queen Victoria’s granddaughters. The courts, however, turned down his application, citing ‘the sanctity of Christian burial’.

And there it all rested, until author Lucinda Hawksley began working on a biography of the lovely Louise — a woman so far ahead of her time that she became a respected sculptor and campaigner for women’s rights. Like all researchers into the Royal Family, Hawksley applied to visit the royal archives at Windsor. To her surprise, she was told that Princess Louise’s files were ‘closed’ to the public. Next, she tried several times to get access to the archives of Louise’s husband’s family — the Argylls — at Inveraray, Scotland, but again she was firmly rebuffed. Stranger still, she ran against the same brick wall when she asked to see papers connected to people Louise had known — from fellow artists to servants and friends. And Hawksley wasn’t the only one who wondered what was going on. The archivists she approached at the National Gallery, the Royal Academy and the Victoria & Albert Museum, as well as at various overseas collections in Malta, Bermuda and Canada, were frankly bemused to discover that all the papers she’d requested had been ‘removed’ to Windsor.

By then, Hawksley was all the more determined to get to the bottom of this most tantalising of royal mysteries. Why, she wanted to know, had the detailed records of the most popular of Victoria’s daughters been locked away in the archives? What was it about her that was deemed too scandalous or dangerous to be revealed? And, at 18, when she flowered into the type of curvaceous, regular-featured, blue-eyed beauty most admired by Victorian men, she was indeed noticed. But was she also seduced?

Lieutenant Walter George Stirling, of the Horse Artillery, had been hired in March 1866 as the latest tutor for her delicate younger brother, Leopold, who was a haemophiliac. An important addition to the Royal Household, Stirling also joined various family outings, parties and dinners. Leopold blossomed under his care, and there was certainly no sign that Victoria was anything but pleased with the handsome young officer. Louise, meanwhile, was spending a great deal of time with both her brother and his tutor. So it came as a shock when Stirling was abruptly dismissed from his post just four months later.

continue reading via the link.

Princess Louise (1848-1939)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll (1848-1939).jpg
Views:	1316
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	290525  
Old 11-17-2013, 05:44 AM
Majesty

One of the pictures showed Louise with Leopold when he was clearly a child - dated to 1886.

They also claim that Edward VII's daughter Louise, was named for her aunt totally ignoring the fact that Louise was also the name of Alexandra's mother and so it is more than likely that the infant Louise was named after her maternal grandmother rathe than an aunt.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:59 AM
Nobility

Thank you for the article WARREN. When I read the part that said the Queen abruptly dismissed Walter Stirling, it reminded me of the Queen's dismissal of Carl Ruland, when it was found out that he and Princess Helena had formed and early flirtation.
It was a great article, with many proofs, but at the end we cannot be 100% sure.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Royal Highness

Besides Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark, was any other Danish Prince considered as a husband for Princess Louise? Besides Prince Albrecht of Prussia, was any other Prussian Prince considered as a husband for Louise?
In Long to Reign, A. W. Purdue wrote:
The marrying of the Queen's daughter, Princess Louise, to the Marquess of Lorne was that rare event, the marriage of a princess to a commoner, however aristocratic, though the marriage was not a great success.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:30 PM
Royal Highness

It was in 1912 that lights were first strung up on the promenade of Blackpool to mark the royal visit of Princess Louise.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Besides Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark, was any other Danish Prince considered as a husband for Princess Louise? Besides Prince Albrecht of Prussia, was any other Prussian Prince considered as a husband for Louise?
In Long to Reign, A. W. Purdue wrote:
The marrying of the Queen's daughter, Princess Louise, to the Marquess of Lorne was that rare event, the marriage of a princess to a commoner, however aristocratic, though the marriage was not a great success.

The Crown Prince of Denmark (later Frederick VIII), Prince Albert of Prussia, and William, Prince of Orange were all suggested.

The CP of Denmark was rejected by the Queen because she believed another marriage to the Danes would aggravate the Prussians and the couple would have to live in Denmark. Albert (despite having a Victoria-approved name) was rejected because the Queen thought another Prussian marriage would aggravate the Danes, and Albert didn't want to move to Britain. William was rejected by the Queen because he openly lived in Paris with his mistress.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Royal Highness

Ish, That is correct that if Princess Louise had wed Crown Prince Frederick, she, as the Crown Princess, would be expected to reside in Denmark. Obviously she and Frederick could have made visits to England to see Queen Victoria.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's true, but by the time Louise was marriageable Victoria had decided that she didn't want anymore of her children to live far away.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Royal Highness

Ish, You mentioned that Louise's possible marriage to Prince Albert of Prussia was rejected because her mother thought another Prussian marriage would aggravate the Danes.
Princess Louise and the Marquess of Lorne married in 1871.
Eight years later, in 1879, Louise's brother, Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught, married Princess Louise Margaret of Prussia.
Did Arthur and Louise Margaret's marriage aggravate the Danes?
Did their wedding upset Princess Louise, Marchioness of Lorne?

Old 10-14-2014, 09:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't know if Arthur's marriage aggravated the Danes or not. I doubt it would have bothered his sister - ultimately, the Marquess of Lorne had been Louise's choice, not her mother's. Victoria had approved of the marriage, but Louise had chosen the man.

Tags
biography, british history, duchess of argyll, pictures, princess louise, queen victoria, queen victoria's children