Princess Charlotte of Wales (1796-1817)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a lovely dress, though it's sad that white silk changes its colour over time. Charlotte was married in the evening and the silver stripes must have sparkled in the candlelight. Magical! Thanks for posting this.

Leopold always said that Victoria reminded him of Charlotte. This can't have been so in physique, however. It's clear that Charlotte was certainly taller than the tiny Victoria, and was a healthy, strapping sort of girl!

For once I have to disagree, because of the discolouring of the silk, we can see that stunning needlework in all it's glory. As a Needleworker, I'll admit to some bias there, but I do think of all that beautiful work done on Wedding Gowns and it's never really seen due to the white on white. At least on Charlotte's we can see and admire *cough*droolover*cough* the skill of those who did that gorgeous work. :)

As you said though...That dress, in candlelight...Charlotte must have just looked so magical that night. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I agreefor the dress and the work done.
Napoleon sais that Prince Leopld of SCG was the most handsome Prince he met !

Yes, it was said that Charlotte was very struck by Leopold's good looks when she first met the 23 year old. I think the Saxe Coburgs had a reputation for good looks. Queen Victoria's mother looks pretty in her portraits, though apparently she was a trifle overweight in real life.

Victoria thought Albert was divine when she met him again in 1839. It's a shame that we have no photos of these young men. By the time photography arrived Leopold was ageing and Albert was looking older than his age due to stress and balding!

Princess Charlotte wrote to the Prime Minister asking him to represent her formally with her father and request him to offer her hand in marriage to Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg. If he did not agree, she warned, she would remain a spinster and refuse all other suitors.

Very touched to read about this Princess who seems to have been loved by all.... she could have been my Queen after all !

Very touched to read about this Princess who seems to have been loved by all.... she could have been my Queen after all !

No, you would have had a different king all together.

When Charlotte married Leopold, he was the younger son of a Duke. He had no claims to any throne, he was a military man. If Charlotte had lived, she would have been Queen Charlotte, and he would have remained in the UK as Prince consort. Instead she died, and the position of prince regent was held by his nephew, Albert.

When they were trying to choose a king for Belgium, Leopold's name would never have been proposed. The future (he wouldn't have been till his father in law died in 1837) prince consort of Great Britain would not have been considered a choice. Either one of the French princes who were considered, or another non-French choice would have taken Belgium's throne.

Perhaps one of his older brothers would have been chosen, Albert's father or the second brother Ferdinand (if they wanted to avoid a French king).

No, you would have had a different king all together.

When they were trying to choose a king for Belgium, Leopold's name would never have been proposed. The future (he wouldn't have been till his father in law died in 1837)...

Nitpick: should be "he wouldn't have been till his father-in-law died in 1830"

A pretty reasonable analysis of what would have probably transpired had Charlotte not expired when she did.

If Princess Charlotte had married William of Orange, was there not an agreement that she, Charlotte, would be required to reside for a certain length of time each year in The Netherlands?

If Princess Charlotte had married William and resided part of the year in The Netherlands until she became the Queen of Great Britain, what does William do? Does he move to England?

If Princess Charlotte had married William, would the wedding take place in London, England or in The Netherlands?

The Hereditary Prince of Orange came from a family that Princess Charlotte's mother detested. Charlotte declined to attend every event at which she thought Prince William might be present.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Princess Charlotte had married William of Orange, was there not an agreement that she, Charlotte, would be required to reside for a certain length of time each year in The Netherlands?

No. Part of the negotiations of the marriage contract was that Princess Charlotte insisted that she wouldn't be required to leave Britain.

Charlotte simply did not want to marry William of Orange. I think she would have known very well that the stipulation that she remain permanently in Britain would have been unacceptable to the Dutch. She reacted to her grandmother and father trying to persuade her to marry this man and any stipulations were a delaying tactic on her part.

I seem to have read somewhere (I can't remember where but it was some history of Regency England) that one reason Charlotte made difficulties and broke off the engagement was that she had been infatuated with some other prince..
As I recall, Wiliam tried to stipulate that she should live part of the time in the Netherlands which wasn't an unreasonable request surely, until she actually became queen of England..

As far as I recall he was a younger son, so it would be expected I imagine that he would move to England....

Im not sure she was really loved by all, it was more that the RF were so unpopular, with the public and even the aristocracy, with their extravagance, their lack of legitimate heirs and general awfulness, that Charlotte, who was young and untainted by scandal was greeted iwht some relief. Even if they had to put up with the Regent as King for a few years, she would be Queen and she was reasonably attractive and not known to be misbehaving in any way. So there was terrible disappointement when she died In childbirth...

As far as I recall he was a younger son, so it would be expected I imagine that he would move to England....

William was heir to his father, a sovereign prince and later King William I of the Netherlands. William of Orange became heir apparent to the throne of the Netherlands in 1815 and later ruled in his turn as King William II.

I looked up the chapter that deals with the issue in the biography of Willem II by Prof.Van Zanten.

The 'wedding project' started in 1812, before the Orangist turnaround in the Low Counties. The Orange family and their advisors saw the wedding as a way to get the family back on the royal stage; they had been without a country for 2 decades.

The pro-Orangist revolts in 1813-1814 meant that the family's luck had changed & they were invited back to The Netherlands. Advisors of Prince Willem VI (later King Willem I) claimed that the match had become 'unwise and untimely' almost exactly from the moment that the prince regent had spoken warmly in favor about it in february 1813.

Willem II was informed about the wedding project in June 1812 when he was on a military campaign in Spain. He did not pay much attention to it as he thought it was impossible for his father to succesfully arrange such a match. In august 1813 he expressed his concern about the polluted atmosphere within the British Royal family to the Duke of Wellington. In november 1813 he arrived in Plymouth, under the impression that he would quickly travel on to Prussia. He could not hide his shock when he was toldd by minister Bathurst that the prince regent and his father had made new arrangements for the alliance. A day later the prince-regent forced a first meeting between Charlotte and Willem at a dinner party in Carlton House.

The prince described the princess as 'a beauty a la Rubens' but wrote that she had: 'an unpleasant voice, stuttered, made strange movements with her head when she was talking, she walked heavily and noisily and her ways are not very refined'. He did like her cheerfulness during dinner.

After dinner the prince was asked by the prince regent if he liked the princess and if he wanted to marry her. Willem of course answered 'yes' but added that he would like a meeting the next day to ask the princess if she had any objections against the match. The prince-regent said that such a visit was not needed as he claimed the princess had just told him that she liked the prince and that she was happy about the choice. He ordered the princess in the room and asked her in front of Willem: isn't it that you agree to the marriage?' Willem noted that she started crying, the prince regent took it as a confirmation and joined the two hands of Willem and Charlotte and had them hug each other. After that he left the room and a stunned Willem and Charlotte did not know what to say to each other. The prince asked if she agreed to the wedding out of free will, to which Charlotte said that she did. She added that she liked the little she had seen of the prince so far and that she was charmed by the prospect of their marriage.

They two met for a second time and talked about common friends. But the third meeting a day later at Warwick house was a disaster: the prince told Charlotte that after the wedding they would have to divide their attention between their two countries, which meant that the princess was required to stay in The Hague a few months per year. The princess started crying and ran away to her bedroom. Apparently the prince-regent had asked Willem not to tell her about this arrangement until after the wedding and the princess appreciated his honesty (as she wrote in a letter to Mercer Eliphinstone). A few days later Willem left for The Hague.

He went back to London on April 29th 1814. There was a cordial meeting with Charlotte, who 'lied like Cassandra' & assured him she wanted to go ahead with the wedding. The Duke of Sussex had started to oppose the wedding due to the complications now they both were heirs to a throne. They were supported by the Whigs, who had some scores to settle with the regent. The next days the princess refused to receive the prince, even though he called on her for several days. On May 3rd he wrote to his father that he was : 'I am very confused and so nervous that I can only write to you with great difficulty'. The behavior of the princess made him feel like he had landed in a bad comedy where he played the role of an undesired suitor.

On May 9th he received two letters from Charlotte. Lord Liverpool tried to reach a compromise with the princess in which it was stated that her father and future husband could not require her to be in the Netherlands for more than two months per year. the princess refused.

On May 17th Willem wrote a letter to his father. Above the letter he wrote 'very secret, but maybe show to mama'. He asked his father to pressure the prince regent to indulge all requests of the princess. He gathered that the end of the engagement would be very disadvantagious for Willem I who was busy necociating with the great powers to add the Southern Netherlands to the kingdom.

For some reason it seemed that the princess changed her mind once more. By the end of May it appeared she had given up her objections. She allowed him to visit her again, and on May 24th he wrote to his father that he was seeing the princess every day. Lady Bury -a lady-in-waiting- was surprised by the changed attitude of the princess. She thought that the reason was that Willem stood up for Charlotte in front of her father. But she added that Charlotte's affections changed with every way the wind blowed. The two went to various balls together and appeared arm in arm.

On June 6th the prince regent had received a letter of Willem I where it was suggested to drop the clausule from the wedding contract about her stay in The Netherlands. The regent was not happy with the proposal at all, but agreed as he was afraid a break down of the engagement would lead to a scandal, especially as many crowned heads of Europe had gathered in London to celebrate the downfall of Napoleon.

When her father agreed, Charlotte changed her mind yet again: she realised that a wedding meant that her father would 'win'. On June 16th she told Willem she could not leave London as her mother needed her. A disappointment to the prince, who hoped that she would come to the Netherlands for a short while after the wedding. After they got into a fight about a carriage ride his patience was finally over: he walked away without saying a word while Charlotte was holding a sermon in which she demanded him to join her in the carriage. In the evening he received a letter from Charlotte who came to the conclusion that the engagement had to be cancelled. A relieved Willem sent a copy of Charlotte's letter to his father and wrote that the princess had behaved shamelessly & that he was glad he got to know her true character before they got married. He added: 'I could never have lived together with her and it truely is a blessing from heaven that the case took this turn'.

He replied to the princess two days later. He said he informed his family about her breaking of the engagement but he refused to inform the prince regent, as she had asked. King Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia -who was in London & an uncle of the prince- suggested he would leave England so he would be less exposed to gossip. But the prince stayed around for other festivities.

The strongest rumour was that the engagement had been cancelled due to the coniving of Grand Duchess Catherine Pavlovna of Russia because she wanted to marry Willem herself. The rumor was not true (she was to be engaged to a different Wilhelm -of Wurttemberg) but both the grand duchess and her brother the Tsar had taken a liking to Willem. They often visited him and tried to save the engagement of Willem and Charlotte. The Tsar himself spoke to Charlotte and tried to convince her to receive Willem again.

The Dutch envoy wrote that the prince regent had underestimated the opposition to the match but in the end blamed ' the evil character' of Charlotte, 'a virago with free manners'. The earl of Mamelsbury wrote: 'it makes you wonder about the greater evil to which such a character and such an attitude of a person with such a high position can expose this country and its inhabitants in the future'.

Upon arrival in The Hague on June 28, the prince seemed depressed. The king did not give him much sympathy and reproached him for 'lack of ambition'. For Willem I a wedding of Willem and Charlotte would be the crown on his work. For 20 years he had tried to restore the fortunes of his family. He even expected his son to return to London to give it another try. He added that a man could never be unhappy in a marriage because 'he could always find distraction elsewhere'. The prince did not obey his father.

Instead he travelled to Brussels. On July 5th he promoted Willem to a general in the British army and offered him the command of the British and Hanoverian troops in Belgium. George thought that Charlotte would turn around, but Willem refused to return to London. A year later he fought at Quatre Bras and Waterloo. His father tried to set him up with one of the daughters of the Austrian emperor (Leopoldine or Clementine). It would have been a nice gesture to the Southern Netherlands, but in the north such a catholic match did not find great enthusiasm. A Prussian princess was out of the question as the relationship with the Prussian king was at a low due to different interests at the congres of Vienna. But the biggest obstacle was the prince: he now refused every suggestion that his father made, in a way channeling his former fiancee, Princess Charlotte.

In the end the prince himself arranged the match with Grand Duchess Anna Pavlovna of Russia, sister of Tsar Alexander. He liked the Tsar and other members of the family and was perhaps dazzled by the splendor of the Russian imperial family. The King was not enthusiastic about the match but he found it impossible to refuse the suggestion after he received a letter from the Tsar. Anna later told baron Mackay that for her it was 'love at first sight'. For royal standards the marriage turned out to be relatively happy, despite Willem's many 'distractions'.

Last edited:
:previous: interesting read, shows the clearly different attitude to marriage compared to nowadays and indeed it almost reads like a "bad comedy" (or a "soap" in our time).
Would love to read a similar detailed account from P.Charlotte's point of view though ;)

William was heir to his father, a sovereign prince and later King William I of the Netherlands. William of Orange became heir apparent to the throne of the Netherlands in 1815 and later ruled in his turn as King William II.

Oh, yes he was "Slender Billy" wasn't he? So really as a future King, I am sure he felt he had a right to have her move to the Nehterlands..

I find it interesting that decades later Queen Victoria's daughter Alice would also turn down another Prince of Orange. Apparently Alice's suitor had a fairly disreputable character which Alice found unacceptable.

Almost certainly Charlotte would have been married in her father's house in London, as she did when she married Leopold later.

'Charlotte and Leopold' by James Chambers, 'subtitled The True Story of the Original People's Princess', tells the story of Charlotte's love affairs and life. It has a chapter on 'Slender Billy' and the marriage negotiations.

It's pretty clear that Charlotte thought William was courteous and kindly but wasn't physically attracted to him.

For a time, before she set her mind on Leopold and while the Prince Regent still had hopes of William of Orange, Charlotte was exchanging passionate letters with Prince August of Prussia. He, like Leopold, was serving on the continent against Napoleon. However he proved to be a philanderer!

Leopold must have been spectacularly handsome. Most of the ladies at Court thought he was wonderful.

Leopold must have been spectacularly handsome. Most of the ladies at Court thought he was wonderful.

Here is a well-known portrait of Leopold when he was about 27-28.

And here is an older Leopold when he was supposed to be about 66, although I think he looks younger in that particular picture (or maybe it's just my impression).

:previous: interesting read, shows the clearly different attitude to marriage compared to nowadays and indeed it almost reads like a "bad comedy" (or a "soap" in our time).
Would love to read a similar detailed account from P.Charlotte's point of view though ;)

The match between Charlotte and Willem became impossible anyway after both became heirs to their respective thrones. The UK Parliament wouldn't take the risk of a future personal union between the two kingdoms.

On a more frivilous note, the Orange-Nassau men were not particularly known for their good looks (which, I'm afraid, is true up to our days !).

Here is King Willem II on his investiture day , I think.

Last edited:
Almost certainly Charlotte would have been married in her father's house in London, as she did when she married Leopold later.

'Charlotte and Leopold' by James Chambers, 'subtitled The True Story of the Original People's Princess', tells the story of Charlotte's love affairs and life. It has a chapter on 'Slender Billy' and the marriage negotiations.

It's pretty clear that Charlotte thought William was courteous and kindly but wasn't physically attracted to him.

For a time, before she set her mind on Leopold and while the Prince Regent still had hopes of William of Orange, Charlotte was exchanging passionate letters with Prince August of Prussia. He, like Leopold, was serving on the continent against Napoleon. However he proved to be a philanderer!

That must be whoever I read about, that she wasn't really that interested in William because she was in love with someone else..
Charlotte was silly and I daresay highly sexed, liked much of her family. Leopold seems to have calmed her down and made her more responsible..

Oh, yes he was "Slender Billy" wasn't he? So really as a future King, I am sure he felt he had a right to have her move to the Nehterlands..

Much of the vilification of William in the British press came after Charlotte's death, when she was put on a pedestral for the public. He always behaved gentlemanly though the behavior of the princess was absolutely appaling.

It was mainly her father who wanted her out of the country. As I wrote above, the Dutch dropped the requirement alltogether, though intially they hoped for 'several months per year', which would not be very odd.

The main thing that Willem had against him was that he was selected by the prince-regent. Curiously enough, Willem would later have a simular attitude to new marriage candidates that were suggested by his father.

The Hereditary Prince of Orange came from a family that Princess Charlotte's mother detested. Charlotte declined to attend every event at which she thought Prince William might be present.

Kind ofa difficiult way to meet and get on with your future husband...

Kind ofa difficiult way to meet and get on with your future husband...

Exactly. If poor Princess Charlotte did not even want to see Prince William, what would she do on her wedding day?

At the time of their wedding in May 1816 Princess Charlotte was second in line to the British throne after her father the Prince Regent. Sadly Princess Charlotte never lived to see her father become King and predeceased him in 1817.

There's a book called "Caroline and Charlotte" about the princess and her mother, which I read relatively recently and enjoyed. Charlotte seems to have been a true Hanoverian character, with a sense of humor she probably desperately needed. She was funny. Spunky, even. Never learned to spell. She would have been an interesting queen.

It's so sad what happened to her, but at least she was happy with Leopold. And a bit like his niece losing Albert suddenly (...or his namesake great-great-nephew losing Astrid...:sad:), he never does seem to have gotten over it.

Last edited:
There was really love between Charlotte and Leopold. How tragic end!
Napoleon sais the was the most elegant Prince he met..

Last edited:
There was really love between Charlotte and Leopold. How trafic end!
Napoleon sais the was the most elegant Prince he met..

Had Princess Charlotte lived longer she could have been the 1st Anglican Queen of Belgium.

Had Princess Charlotte lived longer she could have been the 1st Anglican Queen of Belgium.
No, because then Leopold wouldn't have become king of the Belgians.

Back
Top Bottom