The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

why on earth would George IV want to annul his daughters right of succession?

--
I believe that the princess wasn't too impressed with Willem's skinny legs btw. .

Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
why on earth would George IV want to annul his daughters right of succession?

--
I believe that the princess wasn't too impressed with Willem's skinny legs btw. .
Could this just be Caroline of Brunswick using any excuse, and a means of slamming her husband, to keep Charlotte in the country and out of a marriage Caroline opposed? History shows that Caroline and the Prince Regent were at loggerheads and I imagine they both leveled any accusation, true or false, at each other to exact revenge or to engage in petty spite.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Serene Highness

She would have been Queen of England hadn't she died but Victoria was born and the British royal family continued from there
Imagine it would have been
Queen Charlotte of England and prince consort Leopold of Saxe Coburg ...
Old 05-16-2011, 10:13 PM

Princess Charlotte of Wales

Looking for a good biography about Princess Charlotte of Wales. Anybody have any recommendations?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Commoner

Charlotte's grandmother survived 15 pregnancies, unfortunately for Charlotte she did not have the same luck, even though she had much better luck at finding a happy marriage than her parents!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Courtier

This is really tragic! I hate hearing people dying at a young age :/
Old 08-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I personally feel more sympathy for Charlotte because of having to live through the war between her parents and being secluded by her father.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 03-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Courtier

The sadness of Charlotte
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Express Yourself :: The sadness of Charlotte
Old 07-03-2012, 05:38 PM

Princess Charlotte of Wales (1796-1817)

I've always been intruiged by the short and tragic life of Princess Charlotte of Wales, daughter of George IV and Caroline of Brunswick. Her story is not widely known. Charlotte was the best thing that came out of George's and Caroline's catastrophic marriage. But she suffered greatly as the pawn in her parent's never-ending battles and she was deprived of a normal family life until her happy marriage to Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg, the future King Leopold I of Belgium. But her joy was cut short when she gave birth to a stillborn son and died soon after of post-partum complications at the age of 21. Had Charlotte lived, she, not her cousin Victoria, would have become Queen.

I've only found one biography of Charlotte from the 1950's which is mystifying. With all the intrigue, drama, a love match marriage, and her sudden death mourned throughout Britain, Charlotte's life is rich and complex. I also think that Charlotte's story is ripe for a film adaptation. Were I the producer or writer, I would title it "The Lost Princess". How do my other Forum members feel about this forgotten Royal?
Old 07-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

There is a thread dedicated to her - Princess Charlotte, tragic daughter of George IV.
I always thought hers is one of the greatest "what if" cases in British history. What if she or her child survived? That would change not only British but also Belgian history because Leopold would not, in that case, be among the candidates to become King of the newly-founded Belgian Kingdom (his candidacy would almost certainly be vetoed by France and the Netherlands).

Her death was mourned throughout the Kingdom. According to Henry Brougham, "It really was as though every household throughout Great Britain had lost a favourite child".
Old 07-03-2012, 06:15 PM

Another "what if" case involving Charlotte is the hemophilia question. If Charlotte had lived to become Queen and give birth to a healthy heir, would the dread disease have struck so many royal families? From what I've read, Queen Victoria is generally thought to be the source of hemophilia which she passed onto her son Prince Leopold, and her daughters Princesses Alice and Beatrice. Of course this would have tragic consequences for several royal houses, including Russia and Spain.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Commoner

I am very interested in the story of Princess Charlotte and although it's been a while since anyone posted on this topic I thought I would just add to it.

I doubt that Queen Victoria would actually have been conceived had Charlotte not died. She was the only legitimate heir of all King George's 13 surviving children. Once she died, the other sons were all offered money to pay off their debts if they provided an heir to the throne.

I also doubt that Leopold would have been elected King of the Belgians had Charlotte survived.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Royal Highness

When Prince Leopold was married to Princess Charlotte, did he have any English royal or nobility title?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Serene Highness

I am answering some questions way back in this thread, because I have never read it before, and because I know something about porphyria.
Charlotte should not have been on a strict diet if she had porphyria. If she did not show symptoms of this disease before she was pregnant, the diet the doctor put her on could have precipitated an "attack". Also, giving her phlebotomies for the same general purpose as the diet, to lose weight, is a hare-brained scheme at best. Phlebotomies today are given for specific medical needs--but in the past doctors may not have realized what these needs were, such as having Polycythemia Vera or Hemachromatosis (in the first case, too many red cells in the blood, in the latter case too great iron stores). So she was weakened for nothing, as was George Washington, who was given too many phlebotomies. Phlebotomy is today given for only one type of porphyria, Porphyria Cutanea Tarda, which was not the typical royal weakness.

If she had stomach pains during her pregnancy this would be a primary symptom of a porphyria attack, if nothing "else" was wrong with the digestive tract. Spasms in the digestive tract, caused by "poisoning" of the nerves by excess production of porphyrins, may be a primary cause of abdominal pain in porphyria. This is why it is hard to diagnose, like many disease which affect nerves.
Not all people who have porphyria have acute mental problems like George III. They are more likely to have subtle emotional problems, including depression. But yes, emotional upset+abdominal pain+tachycardia (fast pulse) are primary symptoms of most hepatic porphyria attacks, but this is not ALWAYS the case, so again the disease becomes elusive to diagnose. In more advanced cases of porphyria, there will usually be neuropathy from permanent nerve damage, causing spasticity (stiffness and pain) in muscles plus other neuropathy symptoms such as double vision, blurry vision. The patient may have bad nights from all of these things ganging up.

If Princess Charlotte had porphyria, the alcohol she was given would be another extreme porphyria trigger. It is no wonder that she developed a weak pulse from all of these triggers.

People who are properly diagnosed and treated (primarily treated by avoidance of triggers) may live almost normal lives--but unfortunately not enough is known by the general public or doctors.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
When Prince Leopold was married to Princess Charlotte, did he have any English royal or nobility title?

I don't believe so, however he was elevated to being a Royal Highness in the UK during his marriage. On his own, he was just a Serene Highness until he became King of the Belgians.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Serene Highness

The Duke of Kent, Queen Victoria's father, lived at least twenty-three years with a woman who was called Julie St. Laurent. Her father was a French baron and her mother was a descendant of a noble Italian family, the Colonnas. She was a Catholic, however, an impediment which stopped more than one of George III's sons from having heir-giving marriages, and she is said to have had a daughter from a first marriage, who lived with Edward and Julie when they were in Canada, while he was the governor of a province there. In London, Julie lived apart from Edward and was not befriended by the royal women. She led a lonely life and was abandoned, perforce, when Edward had to marry a German cousin in order to produce an heir, after the passing of Princess Charlotte, the only remaining legitimate heir.
There were MANY heirs of George III if one took into account the illegitimate ones. There was even one illegitimate heir of one of George III's daughters who survived to adulthood.

Did Edward and Julie have children? It is claimed that they had one or more, the first one being Robert Woods, who was raised by Edward's aide Robert Woods (hence the name) in Kent. I had an ancestor Robert Woods in Kent, and looked into that genealogy through the Mormon genealogy register, but my Robert Woods was not of the same generation as Edward and Julie's son; besides this, the Mormon registry lists over a thousand Robert Woods, one of whom was the canon of the Chapel Royal at Windsor.

So Charlotte was a legitimate heir in a virtual sea of illegitimate ones--who were not even called heirs.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
So Charlotte was a legitimate heir in a virtual sea of illegitimate ones--who were not even called heirs.

They weren't regarded as heirs as to be an heir one has to be legitimately born so George III had only one heir in the second generation until very late in his reign.

Had he had no legitimate grandchildren the throne would have passed down the line of his children and then to one of his brother's children as none of his illegitimate grandchildren were heirs to the throne or their father's titles.

Even today a claimant must be legitimately born.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Royal Highness

In January 1813 just after she had celebrated her seventeenth birthday, Princess Charlotte was told that her new governess was to be the Duchess of Leeds.
Charlotte was furious. No girl of seventeen had a governess. She was a Princess.
Princess Charlotte believed she ought to have ladies-in-waiting.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Royal Highness

At dawn on the wedding day of Princess Charlotte and Prince Leopold, May 2nd, 1816, crowds began to assemble outside Clarence House and all along the Mall between Carlton House and Buckingham House. The ceremony was not due to take place until nine o'clock in the evening.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Royal Highness

I often wonder what the BRF would be like had Charlotte not died. We will never know.

Victoria would never have been born; that is a given. I'm not sure we'd have had Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, mother of Queen Mary either.

Tags
biography, british history, george iv, line of succession, princess charlotte