The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Courtier

For Carolina:Create a photobucket account,upload a picture from your computer,than copy the fourth row below the picture and paste it here in free space where you write your messages

If it sounds complicated,you can e-mail me and I will post in your name...anyway,I wish you have luck :)

I share your opinion about Augusta and want to know and see much more of her as possible...

This is the picture of Augusta's summer residence near Dresden,Kepp Schloss...she was very close to Queen Carola of Saxony!

http://www.arbonia.de/res/Media/arbo....jpg163697.jpg

Old 02-28-2011, 12:46 PM

I have a CDV that I understand to be a portrait of August in her wedding dress. In addition to several postcards, I have a photo that is larger than a standard cabinet card photo of her her later in life and in very fancy dress. Most postcards and photos I have show her in black or dark colors. Is there a photo area on the site? I am a newbie and have not taken time to explore all the features. But it would be fun so share images if easy to do.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Nobility

I'd love to see the ones of her in very fancy dress!!!
Old 03-04-2011, 10:23 PM

"Aunt Augusta" Photo

I am trying to attach a scan of a photo I have of "Aunt Augusta." The dress looks similar to one she wore to Queen Victoria's Jubilee, but not sure where this was taken as no info on photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aunt augusta.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	276337  
Old 03-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Nobility

Thank you for posting!! What a great picture, I have not seen this one.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Courtier

Very rare picture of Augusta...great to see something about her finally :-)
Old 03-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Courtier

Some pictures of Augusta sent to you by CarolinaLandgrave:

Old 03-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Serene Highness

She looks very imperious, doesn't she? I can see the same style in Queen Mary.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Nobility

Thanks for posting for me, Marc23!

You can see so much of Aunt Augusta in Queen Mary....
Old 03-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Courtier

Very imposing wearing Cambridge and Lovers Knot tiaras...Queen Mary ordered a Lovers Knot replica(as I have read it is not the same tiara) of the same tiara her aunt had-to be made for her...it remained ever since in BRF and last time Diana wore it!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Nobility

If I remember correctly.... Queen Mary gave it either Queen Elizabeth or Queen Elizabeth II... but had a row of diamonds removed so it sat lower on the new owners head than it had on hers. I think it was loaned to Princess Diana...not sure it was given to her.
Maybe if Prince William and Ms Middleton are made Duke and Duchess of Cambridge... maybe it'll be given to the 'new Duchess' - wouldn't Queen Mary (and Aunt Augusta too) love that!!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Administrator

The Cambridge Tiara (is it also known as the Lover's Knot) was loaned to Diana and was returned to the Queen upon her death if I am not mistaken.

Since we are sharing Augusta stories, I found this one in The Reluctant King by Sarah Bradford, which is the biography of George VI. The Grand Duke and Duchess were in fact godparents to Prince Albert of Wales.

If you are familiar with George VI, you might know that he was born on
Mausoleum Day (the day Queen Victoria husband Prince Albert died)....he also had the misfortune of having his christening delayed because Prince Henry of Battenberg (Princess Beatrice's husband) had died around that time as well.

Aunt Augusta said something along the lines, "Poor Baby. Imagine he can't be a Christian because Henry is dead."

Old 03-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Serene Highness

Great set of pictures of Aunt August, very imposing and impressive woman. Does anyone know the type of fabric that is in the first of the 5 photos. Is it a sort of crushed velvet?

And is that last dress (the one where she is younger), made of crinoline?

Does London have a museum of fabrics, fashions and textiles that span a couple of centuries? Just curious.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Nobility

Thanks Zonk!! I couldn't remember the whole story behind the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara.

"Aunt Augusta said something along the lines, 'Poor Baby. Imagine he can't be a Christian because Henry is dead.' "
PRICELESS! Absolutely Priceless! I wish someone would have cataloged all her quotes - I bet she had some doozies that are lost to history!
Old 03-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

The first of the five looks like silk brocade; the second looks to me like silk with either trapunto or satin stitch. The third outfit looks like a fine wool and the fourth looks very much like velvet made of silk (and the neckband is probably the same fabric). The fifth is probably a tussar or it could be cotton. The lace is lovely on the last gown. Crinoline is made of horsehair and linen.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Nobility

Augusta was known to be rather frugal... despite her husband being one of the wealthiest men in Germany...
but something tells me she would have always gone for good quality material that would last over something that was 'cheap'..... just my opinion, of course.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

CarolinaL, I think you are right. Buying cheap was, and still is, a false economy. Thanks for posting those photos.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaLandgrave View Post
...despite her husband being one of the wealthiest men in Germany...
There was an article in NY times which stated that her husband Grand Duke von Mecklenburg-Strelitz was the wealthiest man in Germany after the Kaiser...the third was Bertha von Bohlen und Halbach,while Prince Albert von Thurn und Taxis was fourth...

Here is a link to similar article,regarding his death and the fact that he was wealthiest Grand Duke...

WEALTHIEST GRAND DUKE DEAD - Ruler of Mecklenburg-Strelitz Owned More Than Half His Country. - Obituary - NYTimes.com
Old 03-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Nobility

Thanks for posting!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Royal Highness

I think Princess Augusta spoke her mind and didn't mince words. She gives me the impression that she was a woman who didn't tolerate fools or stupidity.