Princess Augusta of Cambridge, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1822-1916)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I remember correctly.... Queen Mary gave it either Queen Elizabeth or Queen Elizabeth II... but had a row of diamonds removed so it sat lower on the new owners head than it had on hers. I think it was loaned to Princess Diana...not sure it was given to her.
Maybe if Prince William and Ms Middleton are made Duke and Duchess of Cambridge... maybe it'll be given to the 'new Duchess' - wouldn't Queen Mary (and Aunt Augusta too) love that!!

The Cambridge Tiara (is it also known as the Lover's Knot) was loaned to Diana and was returned to the Queen upon her death if I am not mistaken.

Since we are sharing Augusta stories, I found this one in The Reluctant King by Sarah Bradford, which is the biography of George VI. The Grand Duke and Duchess were in fact godparents to Prince Albert of Wales.

If you are familiar with George VI, you might know that he was born on
Mausoleum Day (the day Queen Victoria husband Prince Albert died)....he also had the misfortune of having his christening delayed because Prince Henry of Battenberg (Princess Beatrice's husband) had died around that time as well.

Aunt Augusta said something along the lines, "Poor Baby. Imagine he can't be a Christian because Henry is dead."

Last edited:
Great set of pictures of Aunt August, very imposing and impressive woman. Does anyone know the type of fabric that is in the first of the 5 photos. Is it a sort of crushed velvet?

And is that last dress (the one where she is younger), made of crinoline?

Does London have a museum of fabrics, fashions and textiles that span a couple of centuries? Just curious.

Thanks Zonk!! I couldn't remember the whole story behind the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara.

"Aunt Augusta said something along the lines, 'Poor Baby. Imagine he can't be a Christian because Henry is dead.' "
PRICELESS! Absolutely Priceless! I wish someone would have cataloged all her quotes - I bet she had some doozies that are lost to history!

The first of the five looks like silk brocade; the second looks to me like silk with either trapunto or satin stitch. The third outfit looks like a fine wool and the fourth looks very much like velvet made of silk (and the neckband is probably the same fabric). The fifth is probably a tussar or it could be cotton. The lace is lovely on the last gown. Crinoline is made of horsehair and linen.

Augusta was known to be rather frugal... despite her husband being one of the wealthiest men in Germany...
but something tells me she would have always gone for good quality material that would last over something that was 'cheap'..... just my opinion, of course.

CarolinaL, I think you are right. Buying cheap was, and still is, a false economy. Thanks for posting those photos.

...despite her husband being one of the wealthiest men in Germany...

There was an article in NY times which stated that her husband Grand Duke von Mecklenburg-Strelitz was the wealthiest man in Germany after the Kaiser...the third was Bertha von Bohlen und Halbach,while Prince Albert von Thurn und Taxis was fourth...

Here is a link to similar article,regarding his death and the fact that he was wealthiest Grand Duke...

WEALTHIEST GRAND DUKE DEAD - Ruler of Mecklenburg-Strelitz Owned More Than Half His Country. - Obituary - NYTimes.com

I think Princess Augusta spoke her mind and didn't mince words. She gives me the impression that she was a woman who didn't tolerate fools or stupidity.

I think Princess Augusta spoke her mind and didn't mince words. She gives me the impression that she was a woman who didn't tolerate fools or stupidity.

And innovators of different habits of royal life...her comments about Norwegian throne being revolutionary and about Battenberg ancestry("forgetting" that her nieces blood was also "tainted")...Albeit,she was a very strict royal-from top to toe...

I often wondered why she was so harsh on the Battenbergs..... considering, like you said, her own sister married morganatically.... and why Princess May didn't get her feelings hurt....
I guess in Augusta's eyes, descent from the King of England cancels out whatever Hungarian noble blood the Countess Claudine brought to Augusta's niece and nephews......

I think she was very subjective in this matter...and supportive to her nephews and her niece...Mecklenburg-Strelitz Grand Ducal couple were May's sponsors prior to her marriage...

Let us not forget how supportive she was to her own grand-daughter Marie after her parents rejected her and the whole royal Europe gossiped about her being maybe hypnotized or drugged...

Well,Augusta had the character to face them all despite the fact that she knew what they might think...but,she just didn't care!

I reckon it all boils down to you always look out for your 'own'.... your family! Augusta was very good to Princess May! I think she and her brother often times had harsh words with Mary Adelaide (and had to help her, along with the Duchess of Cambridge) when she got into her usual financial troubles.

Great set of pictures of Aunt August, very imposing and impressive woman. Does anyone know the type of fabric that is in the first of the 5 photos. Is it a sort of crushed velvet?

And is that last dress (the one where she is younger), made of crinoline?

Does London have a museum of fabrics, fashions and textiles that span a couple of centuries? Just curious.

It seems so - and not only the Royal Dress Collection at Kensington Palace.

Here's a link to a German homepage listing Costume museums in Europe - surely google can help with translating the page for you:

Kostümmuseen in Europa

Is'nt the Victoria & Albert Museum a fashion, textile, & fabric museum?

Hi,

Well, here's a guess as to why maybe Augusta was prejudice against the Battenbergs and not the Tecks:

The Duke of Teck's father married an Hungarian Countess, descended from Counts and Barons - so noble or aristocratic at best...

Alexander of Hesse married Julie Hauck, a commoner (?) who was raised to Countess, then Princess later...

It could have been in the degree of the rankings before the marriages....
Does this make sense?

Also, it could just be as simple as Mary Adelaide was her sister

Larry

Alexander of Hesse married Julie Hauck, a commoner (?) who was raised to Countess, then Princess later...

Not quite,Julia was Countess as her father Moritz von Haucke was a Count in his own right...

She was only made Princess because of her marriage...

If we speak about ancestry Julia herself had some noble ancestry from her fathers side...

She was a descendant of von Rantzau,von Ahlefeldt,von Riedesel zu Eisenbach,von Dörnberg(Thurn und Taxis were their descendants),von Hatzfeld,von Waldbott-Bassenheim,von Nesselrode(2 mediatized families) and many other German noble families...

From her mothers side she is a descendant of Jean de la Fontaine,presumable untitled French nobleman(but not sure) who lived from 1694-1752

Last edited:
Hi Marc,

Thanks for that information. I did not know that, as I've always read about her as Julie Hauck..

In that case then, I cannot fathom what Augusta's prejudices were toward the Battenbergs...

Cheers,
Larry

Well,don't know myself :-( although Claudine's pedigree was a bit "stronger"(noble ancestry from both sides) than Julia's(father's side),but neither were strong considering "royal demands"!

In that case then, I cannot fathom what Augusta's prejudices were toward the Battenbergs...

Cheers,
Larry

you need only to read threads about Royals marrying Commoners here on these forums to get an idea why a lot of people don't think Royals should marry below their own station in life. But if lowly-born people feel this way: doesn't it make much more sense that a real princess and one of the 1800s to boot should think so?
:flowers:

Also, it could just be as simple as Mary Adelaide was her sister

I read that Teck was actually chosen by the family as a suitor to Marie Adelaide's hand because he was sooo good-looking and so nice, so they all thought it would be great to have Marie Adelaide marry him. The fact that his mother was not considered "equal" was not so important when the son was such an example of a man and Marie Adelaide such a spinsterish burden to the family - they just insisted that the head of the Wuerttemberg-family raise Teck in rank (which he could because Wuerttemberg was a kingdom) so he was equal. Eligible he was anyway, so good luck to dowdy Marie Adelaide....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm,yes...but he thought that Mary Adelaide was loaded with money and was very disappointed when he learned the truth,not only about the lack of money,but also about her habits of spending everything she gets...

Imo,Mary Adelaide lived more "royal" lifestyle than Queen Victoria,despite the fact that she was always in dept...she enjoyed every moment of it!

Don't know anything about Augusta and her money "habits"...did she spend a lot or not?I know that her daughter in law Elisabeth von Anhalt lived very luxuriously-changing tiaras and dresses ordered from Paris day and night!

Last edited:
Augusta was quite miserly - except with Princess May. And she was condemning of her daughter-in-law's frivolous ways!!

I have an item which may reinforce the idea that Augusta was miserly. I have a cut-out piece of what seems to be some sort of calendar printed in german with dachshunds on it. On the back is written the following"

David and Bertie from their old Great Aunt [signed] Augusta Caroline
wishing them a Happy New Year.

If all the York boys got was a cardboard calendar card to share, she certainly did not lavish gifts upon her family. But she always expressed her fondness for Queen Mary and family. Once I can get to a scanner I will be posting a photo (along with others) of Augusta greeting George and Mary in Neustrelitz perhaps, in 1912. The one photo shows Augusta, from the back, embracing and kissing King George at the train station. In other shots before they arrived she looks so excited and happy to be seeing them. These photos really humanize her to me.

What a great "post card" from Aunt Augusta! Love it!

I can't wait to see the pics - I've seen them somewhere and managed not to get copies of them. Isn't it her and the Grand Duke meeting King George and Queen Mary?

Some more pictures thanks to CarolinaLandgrave:

MaryAdelaideandAugustaCambridge.jpg

MecklenburgRoyalFamily.jpg

Augusta1.jpg

AuntAugustaandFritzwaitingonGeorgeandMary.jpg

FritzandAugusta.jpg

FritzandAugustawithGeorgeandMay.jpg

GeorgeandMaywthAuntAugustaandFritz.jpg

I don't think we should judge Augusta by the calendar...that might have a normal gift by the standards of the day. Even the royal family today for Christmas gives gag gifts of sorts.

LOVE LOVE the pictures! Thanks to all who posted them.

I just love how Augusta is smiling so... so happy to see Princess May and Prince George!!!

Hi,

Well, here's a guess as to why maybe Augusta was prejudice against the Battenbergs and not the Tecks:

The Duke of Teck's father married an Hungarian Countess, descended from Counts and Barons - so noble or aristocratic at best...

Obviously,it was not the exact case of Augusta's "hatred" towards Battenbergs...

Julia's father was quite famous and sort of a hero who was socially "connected" with Imperial family:

John Maurice Hauke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a very interesting article about him.

Back
Top Bottom