Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine (1843-1878)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I doubt that Alice had any nurses' training in the formal sense. It wasn't a profession at all in Britain until Florence Nightingale came back from the Crimea and organised the first training. It certainly wasn't a profession that an aristocrat or Royal would enter. Nevertheless, Alice was a serious-minded young woman. Like her sister Vicky medical matters interested her, she read widely on the subject and became a friend of Miss Nightingale's.

She certainly had practice of some sort with family members. She helped during her grandmother the Duchess of Kent's final illness in early 1861 and by the end of the year she was in charge of the sickroom as her father, the Prince Consort, lay dying. All this stood her in good stead when she organised hospitals in Darmstardt, especially during wartime, and later, when she nursed her family.

:previous: Alice was introduced early, visiting patients from the Crimean war with her mother. She later was care taker to her grandmother Victoria and then her dad Albert nursing them in the last months of illness. She also liked to be among common people all which she continued in her new home.

I doubt that Alice had any nurses' training in the formal sense. It wasn't a profession at all in Britain until Florence Nightingale came back from the Crimea and organised the first training. It certainly wasn't a profession that an aristocrat or Royal would enter. Nevertheless, Alice was a serious-minded young woman. Like her sister Vicky medical matters interested her, she read widely on the subject and became a friend of Miss Nightingale's.

her family.
It was quite common for women to nurse family members, since there wasn't really a professional body of nurses till F Nightingale came along. Gradually It seems ot have become more common to get in various nurses for illness - for those who could pay, to have a nurse look after one In childbirth etc. But still wives and mothers did do some nursing In the sense of "soothing fevered brows" administering medicine, sitting up with people...
And of course royal and aristocratic women did not have "professions" at all. Nursing gradualy became something that some middle class women went in for, as Miss Nightingale professionalised it and made it respectable. I think that while it was rather shocking for women to "go out to peoples houses or to a hospital and be involved in seeing people ill and tending them physically, and most middle class parents wouldn't want their daugthers doing this.. SOME middle class women who were intelligent and wanted to do soemting other than sit around, waiting fro a husband, did take up the job..But they probably had to fight for the chance to do it.. and put up with family opposition.
But for an upper class woman to help look after a sick relative or to maeke it her charity speciality to organise and set up a hospital for the poor, was more acceptable.
In "Downton Abbey" for example Isabel I understand, was a nurse and when she moves to DA she gets involved in the cottage hospital. To be honest, I dont "believe" in the Isabel thing at all, I don't think it was that likely that a relative of the Crawleys would have been so middle class, and not in any contact with their relatives as seems to have been the story.. or that a well to do middle class lady like Isabel would have been a professional nurse.
But it could happen and we see in the series how the Crawley ladies are involved in helping to organise the cottage hospital.

Last edited:
Can anybody tell me more about Ernest her son?

Can anybody tell me more about Ernest her son?

He married Victoria Melita, his cousin, but the marriage ended in divorce, with no surviving Children. THere were rumours that he was gay. However he married another German princess and produced 2 sons.

The marriage to Victoria Melita (whose nickname was 'Ducky') was an awful mistake. They married under pressure from Queen Victoria, their grandmother, who is said to have wished for it. They were temperamentally unsuited in every way, and of course there were the sexual rumours about Ernie, as he was known as within the family.

The only good thing to come out of the marriage was their daughter Elizabeth, whom Ernie in particular absolutely adored. He built a playhouse for her in the woods (it still exists) which adults were strictly forbidden to enter at any time. Elizabeth would play in there when it was time for lessons or to get ready for something she didn't want to do! Elizabeth died in 1903 aged eight, of typhoid, while on a visit with her father to her uncle and aunt, the last Tsar and Tsarina of Russia. Her last illness was so quick, virtually 24 hours, that her mother, staying elsewhere, could not get there in time.

Elizabeth's death broke Ernie's heart. He later married again and he and his wife Eleanore had two sons. Eleanore was older than Ducky had been. She was placid and understanding, and they had a very happy marriage.

The eldest son, Georg Donatus, married Prince Philip's sister Cecilie, and they, Ernie's widow, and their two little sons were killed in an aircrash in 1937 while going to the wedding in England of Georg Donatus's younger brother. Ernie had, thank God, died shortly before, after a long illness.

The sole surviving son Ludwig , whose wedding it was, married an English woman, Margaret Geddes in a funereal atmosphere immediately afterwards. They never had any children and the sole remaining child of his brother, a little girl aged two, Joanna, also died.

Ernie had been interested in the Arts, as his mother had been and Darmstadt became quite a little centre for musicians, poets and artists. His sole surviving son, Ludwig (Louis) and his wife Margaret carried on this work.

Last edited:
Thank you. I've read all about his sisters and even his younger brother but there's hardly any information about him.

Out of all the siblings he seems more personality wise more like his mother

Alison Weir's 'Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy' has Alice marrying Prince Louis, later Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse-Darmstardt and by Rhine and Duke of Saxony!

However, Charlotte Zeepvat in 'Queen Victoria's Family: A century of Photographs' has Alice as Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine.

In 'Queen Victoria's Children' by John Van Der Kiste, Alice married Prince Louis of Hesse and by Rhine, which was the correct title at the time. Darmstadt was of course the chief town of the Duchy. Until 1806 the Duchy had been known as Hesse Darmstadt and ever afterwards it was at times incorrectly known as that.

Last edited:
"Von Hessen und bei Rhein" is correct but the confusion is understandable. In general speak the historic principality is still best known as Hessen-Darmstadt.

For three centuries it was the Landgraftschaft Hessen-Darmstadt (principality of the Landgrave of Hessen-Darmstadt). In 1806 it became the Grand Duchy of Hessen but already in 1871 it became "just" a memberstate in the Reich.

Even under the Grand-Duchy itself there was confusion with the old name, with references to the "Grand Duke of Hessen-Darmstadt" while indeed the princes and princesses were known as "Von Hessen und bei Rhein".

The glorious era of independent and strong Hessen-Darmstadt was (and is still) overshadowing the somewhat non-descript short intermezzo of the Von Hessen und bei Rhein era.

Can anyone tell me if her son Ernie has his own thread? I'm just wondering about the gay rumors and that they all come from one source-his ex wife

When the newlyweds Princess Alice and Prince Louis went to live in Hesse, Queen Victoria thought Alice would have a brand new palace there.
Instead, Alice and Louis lived in a simple house overlooking a street in the Old Quarter of Darmstadt.
Prince Louis' father refused to find or build them appropriate lodgings.

Back
Top Bottom