Prince John (1905-1919)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John & the Coronation

emily62_1 said:
Elizabeth the II would even deny the evidence...
He was not allowed to be present at his own papa's coronation, even at his grandpapa's funeral, he had to stay in a secluded house, not on the carriage with his relatives, why not, he was ill, so what, his right was to be with the others
I don't know anything about HM denying any evidence; but apart from that it is not surprising that the Royal Family (no doubt with advice from his doctors) thought it inappropriate for Prince John to attend the Coronation in 1911. The young Prince had not yet turned 6 at the time; the Coronation Ceremony is very long, and sitting in the Royal Box for hours in the hot and stuffy Abbey would have been an unacceptable risk for a young boy subject to seizures.
In much the same vein, Prince John was under five years of age when King Edward VII died.

Warren said:
I don't know anything about HM denying any evidence; but apart from that it is not surprising that the Royal Family (no doubt with advice from his doctors) thought it inappropriate for Prince John to attend the Coronation in 1911. The young Prince had not yet turned 6 at the time; the Coronation Ceremony is very long, and sitting in the Royal Box for hours in the hot and stuffy Abbey would have been an unacceptable risk for a young boy subject to seizures.
In much the same vein, Prince John was under five years of age when King Edward VII died.

According to the article, Prince John stood outside a royal house along the procession route and saluted his Grandfather. He was publicly displayed at age 5, youth and seizures all. If this story is true, the seizures must not have been quite frequent for them to risk his being seen. He must also have mastered how to behave in public as a royal child. You know Queen Mary would have had that drummed into him. IF they took this chance of letting him appear in public in 1910, that is amazing for King George V and Queen Mary to do with all their conservatism and fears.

emily62_1 said:
Edward VIII was known as David by relatives and friends. .

David was his first name. Edward VII was baptised Albert after his father but chose to be known as King Edward. Charles doesn't need to be King Charles when he ascends the throne, he can take whatever name he chooses.

Last edited:
tiaraprin said:
According to the article, Prince John stood outside a royal house along the procession route and saluted his [late] Grandfather. He was publicly displayed at age 5, youth and seizures all.. . IF they took this chance of letting him appear in public in 1910, that is amazing for King George V and Queen Mary to do with all their conservatism and fears.
Yes, a short outing in public was probably deemed OK, but it's not surprising they chose not to subject him to the strain of Coronation Day in the processions and in the Abbey.

Iain said:
David was his first name. Edward VII was baptised Albert after his father but chose to be known as King Edward. Charles doesn't need to be King Charles when he assends the throne, he can take whatever name he chooses.

Actually, I don't think Charles is that great a name for a British king -- kind of like John. Charles I, who lost his head. Charles II, who couldn't get an heir, was a closet Catholic, and set the scene for the disaster of James II.

If the Prince of Wales were to go out on a limb like Queen Victoria (whose first name was Alexandrina, after Czar Alexander I of Russia), it would be wonderful for him to choose George VII in honor of his grandparents. (My sentimental favorite would be Henry IX but I don't think Charles would agree!)

iowabelle said:
Actually, I don't think Charles is that great a name for a British king -- kind of like John. Charles I, who lost his head. Charles II, who couldn't get an heir, was a closet Catholic, and set the scene for the disaster of James II.

If the Prince of Wales were to go out on a limb like Queen Victoria (whose first name was Alexandrina, after Czar Alexander I of Russia), it would be wonderful for him to choose George VII in honor of his grandparents. (My sentimental favorite would be Henry IX but I don't think Charles would agree!)

Charles as Henry IX??:eek: :p I fell out of my chair laughing!!:p :p That would be priceless!! Thanks for the good laugh Iowabelle!!!:) :p

iowabelle said:

I was just at another website, www.britainexpress.com/royals/charles5.htm, which claims that Charles does intend to become George VII upon his accession because of the unpleasant associations with the 2 prior King Charles.

Interesting!

iowabelle said:
I was just at another website, www.britainexpress.com/royals/charles5.htm, which claims that Charles does intend to become George VII upon his accession because of the unpleasant associations with the 2 prior King Charles.

Interesting!

He doesn't want to jinx himself more than he is now perhaps??:p :eek: ;)

I think that George VII would be a good choice because he would honour his grandfather. But I don't think that Charles would be a bad name because of two past bad kings.

Iain said:
David was his first name. Edward VII was baptised Albert after his father but chose to be known as King Edward. Charles doesn't need to be King Charles when he ascends the throne, he can take whatever name he chooses.

I also thought so, but according to Wikipedia.com, he was christened as Edward, David was a nickname , I think he loved this name.

Can people who become king change their name still? like how the Pope does.

Harry's polo shirt said:
Can people who become king change their name still? like how the Pope does.

I think they can, Edward VIII was christened Albert, or Bertie.

George VI was Albert (nicknamed Bertie) Edward VIII I think was his first name was Edward but he went by his last name David.

Edward VIII's name was Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David (the last four names are the names of the patron saints of England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales).

Interesting how many more names he had than Prince John, his youngest brother.

Oppie said:
George VI was Albert (nicknamed Bertie) Edward VIII I think was his first name was Edward but he went by his last name David.

King George VI's full name was Albert Frederick Arthur George.

The three middle sons had four names each, but poor Prince John only had three. I suppose it was a way of letting people know that he was less important in the grand scheme of things or something.

Elspeth said:
The three middle sons had four names each, but poor Prince John only had three. I suppose it was a way of letting people know that he was less important in the grand scheme of things or something.

Maybe they just ran out of ideas?

Elspeth said:

The Queen has three names, but her sister had only two.
I think that all the Queen's children have fourn names.
(And poor Philip has only one. I wonder if he's the only royal with one name).

ElisaR said:
The Queen has three names, but her sister had only two.
I think that all the Queen's children have fourn names.
(And poor Philip has only one. I wonder if he's the only royal with one name).

Beatrice and Eugenie also only have three names. They are Beatrice Elizabeth Mary and Eugenie Victoria Helena.

does anyone have any pictures of prince john?

"In 1917 he was sent, with a nanny and male attendants, to Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate, and did not ever see his parents again."

If this is true, I think that is very sad. His parents could have visited him even if he was in isolation. Even his brothers could have. This whole story is just very sad indeed.:(

I dont think that is true. I thought Mary saw John and visited him.

I actually really don't know. I was just browsing through this thread and on the first page there was an excerpt that said this. I certainly hope that's not true.

The story of Prince John's illness and isolation touched me. At the time, so little was known about epilsey (sp). I was speaking with a friend a week ago about his nephew (who is bi polar) and I was just commenting on what would happened to him if he was born years ago. The medical advances of certain conditions/diseases are such a blessing.

lamass said:
does anyone have any pictures of Prince John?
See post #23

Last edited by a moderator:
emily62_1 said:
Edward VIII was known as David by relatives and friends. The Princess Royal was Mary, born in 1897 , later Duchess of Fife.
Princess Mary, unless I am mistaken, became Countess of Harewood, not Duchess of Fife.

cath said:
Princess Mary, unless I am mistaken, became Countess of Harewood, not Duchess of Fife.
Yes, Louise, Princess Royal, eldest daughter of Edward VII, became the 1st Duchess of Fife.

cath said:
Sorry - realised after I posted that someone else had already made this point earlier in the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've split out the posts which were about the TV miniseries "The Lost Prince" and moved them to the Library as a separate thread, which can be found here.

Back
Top Bottom