The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by micas
Is no probleme. I just don't understendwhy he change name. Albert is so great name
After the abdication crisis, Albert wanted to take name George as a symbol of continunity of the reign of his father, George V (who had been much respected). Also Albert was too German sounding of a name, and there was still a lot of Anti-German sentiment left over WWI and the rise of Nazism (not to mention the Duke and Duchess of Windsor support of Hitler).
George, on the other hand, is a very English name. Saint George is the patron saint of England (like St. Andrew is to Scotland, St. David to Wales, and St. Patrick to Ireland). Englishmen are also knighted "by the order of Saint George." The English nat'l flag (not the union jack but the one used at all the world cup games) features the Cross of Saint George.

Old 05-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise,LadyofLancaster
Prince John of the United Kingdom
The name "John" has been considered unlucky and its use avoided by the royal family since the death of the prince. (It was reported that Diana, Princess of Wales wished to name her elder son "John", after her own father, but was prevented from doing so by royal tradition).
Also, the only English king named John (aka evil Prince John from the Robin Hood stories) is historically considered a weak and incompetent ruler. (from wikipedia)

Old 08-01-2005, 05:53 AM
Royal Highness

Here is a pics of Prince John, with Prince George and their cousin Crown Prince Olav of Norway(from getty):
Old 08-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Nobility

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackswife
Yes, sorry. Albert later became George when he became King after the abdication of his brother, Edward (later the Duke of Windsor). That's how most people know him as King George VI, father of the present Queen. Sorry! :o
Edward VIII was known as David by relatives and friends. The Princess Royal was Mary, born in 1897 , later Duchess of Fife.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Nobility

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by micas
Is no probleme. I just don't understendwhy he change name. Albert is so great name
no King in UK has ever been named Albert, he was named that way at his birth as David, whose name was a King's one, Edward, not him, had to succeed George V.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Nobility

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
The biography of Mabell, Countess of Airlie (one of QWueen Mary's ladies in waiting), "Thatched with Gold," includes part of her memoirs which have some interesting insights into Queen Mary's relationships with her children. She said:

"King George V and Queen Mary have often been depicted as stern unloving parents, but this they most certainly were not. Remembering them in my early days at Sandringham, before their ramily was even complete, I believe that they were more conscientious and more truly devoted to their children than the majority of parents in that era. The tragedy was that neither had any understanding of a child's mind. They themselves had been brought up in particularly loving homes - Queen Alexandra had an almost cloying affection for her son; the Duchess of Teck was an adoring mother to Princess May - but they did not succeed in making their own children happy."
Prince Goerge was fond of his sons but his manner to them alternated between an awkward jocularity of the ind which makes a sensitive child squirm from self-consciousness, and a severity bordering on harshness.
Princess May's attitude to parenthood I could well understand, for it was much the same as my own. Although she disliked the routine of child-bearing, and had no interest in her children as babies, she grew to love them dearly when they were older. But the difference between us was that while I, being a commoner, could keep in step with my children as they passed from babyhood into childhood and adolescence, she was prevented by her position and her public life from having this close contact with hers. When they reached an interesting age, and began to develop personalities, her sons were taken from her and delivered over to tutors. Her only opportunity of getting to know them as indivuals was during the hour they spent with her in the evening, and that is not enough to create a happy relationship between child and parent."
Queen Mary and Q Alix had often nasty arguments over spoiling her grandkids, John included, but that irritated so much Q Mary as she herself was not able to be a doting mum as Alix had been to her own kids- in fact, Alix's first son, Eddy, was backward, but his owm mum loved him dearly and was so schocked at his sudden death at 28, George V, when still a boy, loved his older brother Eddy, but he later was not able to show affection to his own kids, that's why David was so weird.... I can't believe David was so happy --the animal- had died ! He must have been a very cruel man, never liked him, never.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily62_1
Edward VIII was known as David by relatives and friends. The Princess Royal was Mary, born in 1897 , later Duchess of Fife.
Princess Mary became Countess of Harewood; I think you're thinking about the previous Princess Royal, Louise, the eldest daughter of Edward VII, who became Duchess of Fife.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Royal Highness

I was reading an interesting article today in Majesty magazine about Prince John. The author of the article vehemently asserts that John was not the pariah that has come down through written books for the last 86 years.

The article states that Prince John was present at certain Royal functions, such as the funeral of his Grandfather King Edward VII. He did not ride in a carriage, but was at a royal home along the route to salute his Grandfather. It was also noted that some of the Royal Family waved to the boy from the cortege! There was also a picture of Prince John with his family in 1916, only about 3 years before his death.

The article goes on to say that Queen Mary looked for playmates for Prince John when he lived at York Cottage. A Miss Winifred Stratton became Prince John's closest friend next to his beloved nanny, Lala Bill. It says that the Prince and Winifred played almost everyday, exchanged presents etc. Miss Stratton had many postcards autographed from Prince John which are now in her descendants' possession.

Around 1917, Prince John was doing poorly (his seizures stronger and more frequent) and the doctors told Queen Mary that Prince John would not live to see adulthood. Upon this advice, Queen Mary had Prince John and his nanny moved to Wood Farm for a better environment, and more room for the Prince hoping to make whatever time he had left in his life to be more comfortable. Winifred Stratton last visited Prince John just a month before his death in 1919.

The article ends by stating that many of the descendants of the servants who knew Prince John are quite upset and appalled about how this young boy and his life have been portrayed. They say Prince John was much happier and loved than any of what we have known from the various written sources.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Nobility

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Princess Mary became Countess of Harewood; I think you're thinking about the previous Princess Royal, Louise, the eldest daughter of Edward VII, who became Duchess of Fife.
sure, sorry, that was Louise.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Nobility

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
I was reading an interesting article today in Majesty magazine about Prince John. The author of the article vehemently asserts that John was not the pariah that has come down through written books for the last 86 years.

The article states that Prince John was present at certain Royal functions, such as the funeral of his Grandfather King Edward VII. He did not ride in a carriage, but was at a royal home along the route to salute his Grandfather. It was also noted that some of the Royal Family waved to the boy from the cortege! There was also a picture of Prince John with his family in 1916, only about 3 years before his death.

The article goes on to say that Queen Mary looked for playmates for Prince John when he lived at York Cottage. A Miss Winifred Stratton became Prince John's closest friend next to his beloved nanny, Lala Bill. It says that the Prince and Winifred played almost everyday, exchanged presents etc. Miss Stratton had many postcards autographed from Prince John which are now in her descendants' possession.

Around 1917, Prince John was doing poorly (his seizures stronger and more frequent) and the doctors told Queen Mary that Prince John would not live to see adulthood. Upon this advice, Queen Mary had Prince John and his nanny moved to Wood Farm for a better environment, and more room for the Prince hoping to make whatever time he had left in his life to be more comfortable. Winifred Stratton last visited Prince John just a month before his death in 1919.

The article ends by stating that many of the descendants of the servants who knew Prince John are quite upset and appalled about how this young boy and his life have been portrayed. They say Prince John was much happier and loved than any of what we have known from the various written sources.

Elizabeth the II would even deny the evidence- I only know that his parents never went to Wood Farm to visit their son the last 3 years of his life- he was not allowed to be present at his own papa's coronation, even at his grandpapa's funeral, he had to stay in a secluded house, not on the carriage with his relatives, why not, he was ill, so what, his right was to be with the others...... no1 has ever tried to conceal Prince Eddy from public and his appearance was really weird, while poor John was so handsome.... could u plz post the pic of him when he was 11?
Old 08-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Administrator

John & the Coronation

Quote:
Elizabeth the II would even deny the evidence...
He was not allowed to be present at his own papa's coronation, even at his grandpapa's funeral, he had to stay in a secluded house, not on the carriage with his relatives, why not, he was ill, so what, his right was to be with the others
I don't know anything about HM denying any evidence; but apart from that it is not surprising that the Royal Family (no doubt with advice from his doctors) thought it inappropriate for Prince John to attend the Coronation in 1911. The young Prince had not yet turned 6 at the time; the Coronation Ceremony is very long, and sitting in the Royal Box for hours in the hot and stuffy Abbey would have been an unacceptable risk for a young boy subject to seizures.
In much the same vein, Prince John was under five years of age when King Edward VII died.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
I don't know anything about HM denying any evidence; but apart from that it is not surprising that the Royal Family (no doubt with advice from his doctors) thought it inappropriate for Prince John to attend the Coronation in 1911. The young Prince had not yet turned 6 at the time; the Coronation Ceremony is very long, and sitting in the Royal Box for hours in the hot and stuffy Abbey would have been an unacceptable risk for a young boy subject to seizures.
In much the same vein, Prince John was under five years of age when King Edward VII died.
According to the article, Prince John stood outside a royal house along the procession route and saluted his Grandfather. He was publicly displayed at age 5, youth and seizures all. If this story is true, the seizures must not have been quite frequent for them to risk his being seen. He must also have mastered how to behave in public as a royal child. You know Queen Mary would have had that drummed into him. IF they took this chance of letting him appear in public in 1910, that is amazing for King George V and Queen Mary to do with all their conservatism and fears.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Edward VIII was known as David by relatives and friends. .
David was his first name. Edward VII was baptised Albert after his father but chose to be known as King Edward. Charles doesn't need to be King Charles when he ascends the throne, he can take whatever name he chooses.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
According to the article, Prince John stood outside a royal house along the procession route and saluted his [late] Grandfather. He was publicly displayed at age 5, youth and seizures all.. . IF they took this chance of letting him appear in public in 1910, that is amazing for King George V and Queen Mary to do with all their conservatism and fears.
Yes, a short outing in public was probably deemed OK, but it's not surprising they chose not to subject him to the strain of Coronation Day in the processions and in the Abbey.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
David was his first name. Edward VII was baptised Albert after his father but chose to be known as King Edward. Charles doesn't need to be King Charles when he assends the throne, he can take whatever name he chooses.
Actually, I don't think Charles is that great a name for a British king -- kind of like John. Charles I, who lost his head. Charles II, who couldn't get an heir, was a closet Catholic, and set the scene for the disaster of James II.

If the Prince of Wales were to go out on a limb like Queen Victoria (whose first name was Alexandrina, after Czar Alexander I of Russia), it would be wonderful for him to choose George VII in honor of his grandparents. (My sentimental favorite would be Henry IX but I don't think Charles would agree!)
Old 08-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
Actually, I don't think Charles is that great a name for a British king -- kind of like John. Charles I, who lost his head. Charles II, who couldn't get an heir, was a closet Catholic, and set the scene for the disaster of James II.

If the Prince of Wales were to go out on a limb like Queen Victoria (whose first name was Alexandrina, after Czar Alexander I of Russia), it would be wonderful for him to choose George VII in honor of his grandparents. (My sentimental favorite would be Henry IX but I don't think Charles would agree!)
Charles as Henry IX?? :p I fell out of my chair laughing!!:p :p That would be priceless!! Thanks for the good laugh Iowabelle!!!:) :p
Old 08-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
I was just at another website, www.britainexpress.com/royals/charles5.htm, which claims that Charles does intend to become George VII upon his accession because of the unpleasant associations with the 2 prior King Charles.

Interesting!
Old 08-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I was just at another website, www.britainexpress.com/royals/charles5.htm, which claims that Charles does intend to become George VII upon his accession because of the unpleasant associations with the 2 prior King Charles.

Interesting!
He doesn't want to jinx himself more than he is now perhaps??:p
Old 08-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Courtier

I think that George VII would be a good choice because he would honour his grandfather. But I don't think that Charles would be a bad name because of two past bad kings.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
David was his first name. Edward VII was baptised Albert after his father but chose to be known as King Edward. Charles doesn't need to be King Charles when he ascends the throne, he can take whatever name he chooses.

I also thought so, but according to Wikipedia.com, he was christened as Edward, David was a nickname , I think he loved this name.

Tags
biography, british history, epilepsy, george v, prince john, queen mary, the lost prince