Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester (1900-1974) and Princess Alice (1901-2004)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How very sad, Princess Alice was one of my favorite royals, despite having not been seen in public in recent years. She will always be remembered.

Sad news, but not unexpected. It sounds as if she'd been having some memory problems over the last few years, which is hard on the person concerned and the rest of the family and close friends.

She and the Queen Mother were examples of the fact that a non-royal person can become a member of the royal family and make a success of it.

will this death have any effect on the Queen´s state visit to Germany which is planned to start on Tuesday?

God bless Princess Alice. I always considered her a paragon of dignity and good-taste.

I wonder will her funeral be televised? or on the internet?

I don't think it will be televised (i'm not sure though), there might be some pics but i think that will be all, it won't be like when Queen Mum died of course

liv said:
will this death have any effect on the Queen´s state visit to Germany which is planned to start on Tuesday?
I doubt it. When Princess Margaret died, the Queen kept going with her engagements. I assume Princess Alice's funeral will be timed so that the Queen can attend, however.

Oh my Goddddddd!!!!!!Because i haven't gone to the Internet for 3 days,so i cant know it!Princess Alice is one of my favourite British Royal Ladies!Love her!!!!Maybe she had gotten a lot of problems with her health because of her ages.Her grand daughter has just married for 3 months!Oh!!!!Very sad news!

I wonder if she was able to understand about Lady Davina's wedding. It'd be nice to think that she was aware that two of her grandchildren had married in the last couple of years.

Does anybody have pictures of Princess Alice in the recent years?Please p ay a tribute for an elegant ,Princess Alice,Dowager Duchess of Gloucester.

Attachments

• 2776106.jpg
    2776106.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 665
  • 3420944.jpg
    3420944.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 582
  • 51627462.jpg
    51627462.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 5,282
  • 51627463.jpg
    51627463.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 618
  • 51627467.jpg
    51627467.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 484
  • AADS001960.jpg
    AADS001960.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 626
  • AADS001961.jpg
    AADS001961.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 848
  • AADS001962.jpg
    AADS001962.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 601
  • AADS001964.jpg
    AADS001964.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 637
  • 2776015.jpg
    2776015.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 542
more Princess Alice pics

Attachments

• QV001068.jpg
    QV001068.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,146
  • QV001067.jpg
    QV001067.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 532
  • QV001006.jpg
    QV001006.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 542
  • NPK001163.jpg
    NPK001163.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 618
  • DWF15-409241.jpg
    DWF15-409241.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 544
  • DWF15-409237.jpg
    DWF15-409237.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,672
  • AADS001971.jpg
    AADS001971.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 663
  • AADS001970.jpg
    AADS001970.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 4,622
  • AADS001968.jpg
    AADS001968.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 4,326
  • AADS001966.jpg
    AADS001966.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 716
Nearly 103. She was born on Christmas Day 1901.

I used to thought that about the 103th birthday of Princess Alice.It might be very wonderful.But.....I was really very socked when i heard that Princess Alice has died.Princess Alice was very rarely attend/appear on some Royals Anniversary such as Queen Mum birthdays,Queens Golden Jubilee....But she is really an elegant lady!

She had a great long life, and died peacefully with her family around here. A classy end for a classy lady. Rest in peace!

What is interesting also is that Princess Alice was in her time one of the inner royal circle. At the time of her marriage she ranked directly after Queen Mary and the Duchess of York in terms of seniority of royal ladies. And after the abdication and succession of George VI, the Gloucesters were the most senior adult royals after the King, Queen and Queen Mary. The fact that the Duke of Gloucester was also a potential regent in the event of the early death of the king made their position even more prominent. They were very supportive in their role.

The present Queen no doubt appreciated the efforts of her aunt. Perhaps this contributed to the decision to allow Alice in widowhood to be entitled Princess Alice Duchess of Gloucester as opposed to The Dowager Duchess of Gloucester or The Princess Henry, Duchess of Gloucester.

Other points of note.

Princess Alice was also the last surviving memeber of the grandcildren and grandchildren-in law of Edward VII.

I believe that in terms of Queen Victoria's family there are now 9 surviving great-granchildren-in-law and 2 surviving great-grandchildren.

Princess Alice was also the last surviving member of Queen Victoria's family born before the death of King Edward VII.

1 November 2004

ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE FUNERAL OF HRH PRINCESS ALICE, DUCHESS OF GLOUCESTER

THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS ISSUED BY THE PRESS SECRETARY TO THE QUEEN

The funeral of Her Royal Highness Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester will take place on 5 November at 11am in St George's Chapel, Windsor. The funeral will be private, attended by The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, and the Princess's family and friends, and will not be a State occasion.

A memorial service will be held at a later date.

Mourning

Royal Mourning was observed on Saturday, 30 October and will be observed on Friday, 5 November.

The Queen and members of the Royal Family will be carrying out official engagements during this time.

Flags

Flags were half-masted on Saturday, 30 October, and will be half-masted on Friday, 5 November, the day of Princess Alice's funeral.

Condolence messages

Condolence books are open at the State Apartments, Kensington Palace (10.00 to 17.00).

Condolence e-mails may be sent to the Royal web site at www.royal.gov.uk.

Charitable donations

People wishing to make charity donations in memory of Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester may wish to contribute to the Order of St John (the Ladies' Guild), Priory House, 25 St John's Lane, London, EC1M 4PP, of which Her Royal Highness was Patron.

Did The Queen Mother attend Princess Alice's 100th birthday?And did Princess Alice attend Queen Mum's 90th birthday,100th birthday,Queen Mum and Princess Margaret's funerals,or The Queen's Golden Jubilee?I hadn't seen any pics of her in the recent years.I only seen her pics on her 100th and 101th birthday.

I think one of the pictures in Martine's post 42 shows the Queen and Princess Margaret with the Gloucesters during Princess Alice's 100th birthday celebration (or at least during a photo session for it). I gather she was pretty much housebound for a number of years and didn't attend any of the Royal Family's official events recently. I'm not sure how long it is since she was seen at any of them; I'm pretty sure she didn't accompany the rest of her family to the Wessex wedding in 1999 or Diana's funeral in 1997.

Princess Alice died at ages 102

i found out my forums in Prince William's about Princess Alice's passed away at Kensington Palace where Princess Diana's old home before halloween on October 29,2004 she is first older British.

her family havent annoucement about her funeral yet! she is Aunt of HM Queen 2 and HM Queen really saddened about her Aunt's passed away if HM Queen would plans go funeral or not wait and see.

if you have articles about Princess Alice's death and includes Hello magazine articles too.

Sara Boyce

yes the pics with Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret were taken during Princess Alice's 100th birthday celebration
this is what the caption of the pic said:
Princess Alice(R) is seen here with Queen Elizabeth II(L) at Kensington Palace for a party to honour Princess Alice's forthcoming 100th birthday in December 2001. It was a rare public appearance for the Princess who, as she approaches her 100th birthday on Christmas Day, is frail but in good spirits.

liv said:
1 November 2004

ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE FUNERAL OF HRH PRINCESS ALICE, DUCHESS OF GLOUCESTER

THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS ISSUED BY THE PRESS SECRETARY TO THE QUEEN

The funeral of Her Royal Highness Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester will take place on 5 November at 11am in St George's Chapel, Windsor. The funeral will be private, attended by The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, and the Princess's family and friends, and will not be a State occasion.

A memorial service will be held at a later date.

Mourning

Royal Mourning was observed on Saturday, 30 October and will be observed on Friday, 5 November.

The Queen and members of the Royal Family will be carrying out official engagements during this time.

Flags

Flags were half-masted on Saturday, 30 October, and will be half-masted on Friday, 5 November, the day of Princess Alice's funeral.

Condolence messages

Condolence books are open at the State Apartments, Kensington Palace (10.00 to 17.00).

Condolence e-mails may be sent to the Royal web site at www.royal.gov.uk.

Charitable donations

People wishing to make charity donations in memory of Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester may wish to contribute to the Order of St John (the Ladies' Guild), Priory House, 25 St John's Lane, London, EC1M 4PP, of which Her Royal Highness was Patron.
who will be attend funeral?

Prince of Wales? Earl and Countess of Wessex, Royal Princess, Duke of York and lots more who would remind of Princess Alice and also HM Queen 2 and Prince Philip will also attend funeral what about Prince William?

Sara Boyce

Well the entire Royal Family will be invited. I expect that most of them will attend, although I woudn't be surprised if the invisable men AKA William and Harry don't attend although I sinceley hope that I am wrong.

james said:
Well the entire Royal Family will be invited. I expect that most of them will attend, although I woudn't be surprised if the invisable men AKA William and Harry don't attend although I sinceley hope that I am wrong.
wait and see at funeral who attend

Sara Boyce

sara1981 said:
wait and see at funeral who attend

Sara Boyce
Isn't Harry in Argentina until Christmas time?

Back
Top Bottom