Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh (1844-1900) and Grand Duchess Marie (1853-1920)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emily62_1

Nobility
City
Roma
Country
Italy
lashinka2002 said:
I'll be back with more info soon. Hope you all enjoy!

thanx for the pix and infos, it's a pity the splendid wed pix can't be saved, as they belong to Q&A Museum. I can't c Missy as bridesmaid, she was 1 of the beautiful Connaught girls, who later became Queen of Bulgaria, her name was Elizabeth, how come she is not there, I also like Victoria Melita, or Ducky. The sis of Edinburgh, daughters of Prince Arthur, were all so pretty, it was her own mum, P. Maria, who was a Russian Princess, daughter of Czar Alexander II.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who do you mean?

emily62_1 said:
thanx for the pix and infos, I can't c Missy as bridesmaid, she was 1 of the beautiful Connaught girls, who later became Queen of Bulgaria, her name was Elizabeth, how come she is not there,
Missy, aka Princess Marie, was one of the Edinburgh daughters. She married Crown Prince Ferdinand of Romania and became the flamboyant and very interesting Queen Marie.

There were two Connaught daughters: Margaret who married Crown Prince Gustav Adolf of Sweden; and Patricia who became Lady Patricia Ramsay.

There have been no Elizabeths in the Wettin Bulgarian Royal House.
Elisabeth, aka Carmen Sylva, the loopy Queen of Romania (Ferdinand's mother), was born a Princess of Wied.

Last edited:
sure, she was 1 of the Edinburgh kids whose mum was a russian Princess, daughter of Czar Alexander II- her bro alfred commited suicide.

1 of the QV's granddaughter married a first cousin, a Connaught, who was she, my memory is so bad.....

Arthur & Alexandra

Originally Posted by emily62_1
1 of the QV's granddaughter married a first cousin, a Connaught, who was she? my memory is so bad....
The Duke of Connaught's only son, Prince Arthur (who predeceased his father in 1938) married in 1913 Her Highness Princess Alexandra, Duchess of Fife, elder daughter of the 1st Duke of Fife and his wife Louise, Princess Royal, who was the eldest daughter of King Edward VII.

Arthur (jnr) was a grandson of Queen Victoria, and Alexandra was a great-granddaughter, thus they were first cousins once removed (I think!). To make it even more confusing, their only child, Prince Alastair of Connaught, could be considered a second cousin to both his parents, and a second cousin once removed to himself (depending on which side of the family you are viewing this from).

Have I got that right? Welcome to the wonderfully complex world of Royal Genealogy!

emily62_1 said:
sure, she was 1 of the Edinburgh kids whose mum was a russian Princess, daughter of Czar Alexander II- her bro alfred commited suicide.

I read Alfred jr. commited suicide 'cos of he wed a girl his family did not think she was suitable for him, can u tell me the whole story, how old was he ? who was the woman ? His father also died young, in 1900, of what, do u know about fun quiz trivia ? u would score 10/10 each test ! My average score is 7/10.

emily62_1 said:
I read Alfred jr. commited suicide 'cos of he wed a girl his family did not think she was suitable for him, can u tell me the whole story, how old was he ? who was the woman ? His father also died young, in 1900, of what, do u know about fun quiz trivia ? u would score 10/10 each test ! My average score is 7/10.

You are correct. For many years the death of Alfred Jr was covered up as tuberculosis in 1900. According to David Randall in Royal Misbehaviour: Crazy Kings and Kooky Queens:

Various royal biographers steadfastly maintained this version of events and if mention was made of him at all in family writings, it consisted of the obliquest of references. His sister, Marie, for instance wrote in her memoirs, "his death . . was a staggering blow. We were all so healthy, sto strong, illness was an unknown thing in our family.' Yet what perhaps even Marie did not now was that Alfred was no more a consumptive than she was. What killed ws not tuberculosis but a set of circumstances regarded as so shameful that it was hushed up and kept secret for the next 80 years. . . . . It seems soon after joining the army, Alfred began to go astray, drinking wildly and falling under the spell of several of the doxies who hung around the barracks. Then at the age of 23, he married an Irishwoman called Mabel Fitzgerald in Potsdam. . . . (His Mother) was especially scathing and the ensuing disputes made Alfred, a sensitive person at the best of times, accutely depressed. As the recriminations wore on, his condition was hardly improved by the onset of venereal disease that he had contracted some years before. The crunch came after a particularly violent row with his mother. Alfred took a pistol and shot himself. The suicide bid failed-for the time being- but left him seriously wounded. . . . Despite the objections of doctors, who said that if Alfred was moved he would not survive the week, the Duchess ordered him to be sent away. He was taken to Meran in the Tyrol and within a fortnight he was dead. (pp 23-24)

His father, the Duke of Saxe Coburg Gotha and Edinburgh, died of cancer and of drink in 1900.

tiaraprin said:
His father, the Duke of Saxe Coburg Gotha and Edinburgh, died of cancer and of drink in 1900.

And his mother in 1920 from a heart attack, after allegedly receiving a letter addressed to "Frau Coburg". The last straw for the high and mighty Marie,or so the legend goes.

Sean.~ said:
And his mother in 1920 from a heart attack, after allegedly receiving a letter addressed to "Frau Coburg". The last straw for the high and mighty Marie,or so the legend goes.

what's the story about " Frau Coburg" ?

The Previous Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh, Prince Alfred and Grand Duchess Marie

Hello everyone.....
This post is going to have two inquiries (although I am thinking that I maybe should include part of in the several threads on titles).

Could anyone recommend any good reading and sources for info on Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh and (later) Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and his VERY interesting wife, Marie - formerly HIH the Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna of Russia.

Alfred and (particularly) Marie are very interesting to me and I would love to learn more about them and their beautiful daughters.

But on the title note.... When Alfred died, the Edinburgh dukedom went back to the Crown, correct? Alfred and Marie had but one son who committed suicide..... but the Duchy of Coburg passed to Aflred's nephew (eventually) after being passed over by his brother and another nephew.
Was this because the title was not associated with a sovereign state?
Could the Coburg's petition for the Edinburgh title back?

Thanks so much!!!!!!

Well, the Coburgs couldn't ask for their Edinburgh title back because it went back to the Crown, the reason being there were no other legitimate heirs to the title. When it was given to Prince Philip, it was a new creation and nothing to do with the previous creation.

Thank you!!!
Thats kind of long the lines of what I assumed, but I wanted to ask.

About Duke of Edinburgh title http://www.e-paranoids.com/d/du/duke_of_edinburgh.html

First creation 1726:subsidiary titles - Marquess of the Isle of Ely, Earl Eltham, Viscount Launceston, Baron Snowdon
- Prince Frederick (1707-1751)
- Prince Georg (1738-1820) - future George III
Dukes of Gloucester & Edinburgh 1764: titles Earl of Connaught (Irish Peerage)
- Prince William Henry (1743-1805)
- Prince William Frederick (1776-1834)

Second creation 1866: titles - Earl of Kent, Earl of Ulster
- Prince Alfred (1844-1900)

Third creation 1947: titles - Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich
Prince Philip (1921*)

After him probably will be Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex. But "he will not inherit the title from his father. Like any normal dukedom, the present Dukedom of Edinburgh passes to the heirs-male of the first Duke. That means that when the present Duke dies, the dukedom will be inherited by his eldest son, Prince of Wales. If The Prince of Wales is not yet king when this occurs, he will be Duke of Edinburgh until he ascends the throne, at which point the title will merge with the crown; if The Prince of Wales is already King when he inherits the title, it will merge immediately. Only at that point would the title be available for regrant to the Earl of Wessex.

Here you go Dukes of Edinburg tree
http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=en;m=RLM;i1=116454;t1=1;i2=116440;t2=2;i3=116435;t3=3;i4=116304;t4=4;i5=116265;t5=5;lim=6

and list of DoE
http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=en;m=TT;sm=S;t=Duke;p=of+Edinburgh

About Alfred and Maria
http://www.e-paranoids.com/a/al/alfred_of_saxe_coburg_gotha.html ;
http://www.etoile.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=29813&sid=1505f13fbef5a7edab93fa5e9bdc703e

Thanks so much for the AWESOME links!
Marie is a most intersting person!!
In some strange way... she reminds me a great deal of her sister-in-law, Grand Duchess Marie Pavlovna.

Here are two extracts from "Queen Victoria's Descendants" by Marlene A Eilers, Rosvall Royal Books 1997

Grand Duchess Marie of Russia, Duchess of Edinburgh, Duchess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha

Accustomed to being the centre of the stage as the Tsar's only daughter, on her marriage to Victoria's second son, Marie found that she was expected to yield precedence not only to the Princess of Wales, but also to the Queen's five daughters. Outraged, the young Duchess of Edinburgh demanded precedence immediately after the Queen herself as the daughter of an Emperor. The Queen indignantly refused, and although following a visit to England by the Tsar, the matter was resolved, Marie never really adjusted to life in England.

Prince Alfred of Edinburgh (Young Alfred)

Young Alfred was only 24 when he died, and little has been written about him. Separated from his sisters, he was a lonely young man with a father frequently absent, and a mother who was hard to please and unable to show her feelings. The most significant event in the manner of his short life was his death, across which a veil of reticence has been drawn. In her memoirs, his sister Marie [Queen of Romania] simply relates that his health broke down; other writers have attributed his death to consumption [tuberculosis]. The Times announced that Prince Alfred's death was due to a tumor, but it seems clear that...he shot himself.

Unfortunately, he could not have chosen a more awkward moment for his tragic action, as it occurred in the midst of his parents' silver wedding anniversary celebrations. Though severly wounded, he survived. Angry at so embarrassing an incident occurring when all the family were present, Duchess Marie, against the wishes of the doctors, insisted on having her son moved to Meran, where it was hoped he would recuperate. But the journey proved too much, and young Alfred died alone save for the presence of a doctor and his manservant.

Last edited:
Thanks Warren.
I have recently found this book and have begun reading it - so far I am very impressed with what I have read.

Thanks!!
Thats neat about the Russian Orthodox Chapel! From what I can read, Queen Victoria was not happy that Marie brought a Russian priest with her!
Among other things!!!

Hello Royal Forums. I am new here, this is my first post.
Does anyone have information on the marriage of Prince Alfred to Mabel FitzGerald? I have read many differing versions. But, obviously the marriage was recognized by the Royal Marriage Act. Any information would be much appreciated.
With Kind Regards;
BlueBlood1:wave:
I apologize if this post is not in the proper place. Remember I am new here.

I must correct my post about Prince Alfred & Mabel FitzGerald. The marriage was not recognized. I am sorry for the mistake.
Regards;
BlueBlood1

Hello; Yes I am a newbie and fiddling my way around here.
Does anyone have any Information on the daughter of Prince Alfred and Mabel FitzGerald, born at Carton House, 24, February 1899 or 1900?
Her name was Irene and born at Carton House in Maynooth(?).
I have read that Kind Edward entitled her the title of Lady, Irene Isabel Victoria Elizabeth Saxe Coburg Gotha. (I may not have all her names in the proper order.)
From what I have found she was sent to the U.S. (circa 1912) by her Mother (Mabel FitzGerlad) to Mabels American family and then married a commoner (Sept. 1914) in Upstate New York. Any information would be of much interest. Thank you.
Regards;
Blueblood1

The story of Prince Alfred of Edinburgh fathering a daughter has never been verified and is thought to be false.

The story is totally false, and concocted by Irene's son Frank Fitzgerald Bush. I wrote about in my book, Queen Victoria's Descendants and more recently in an article on young Affie for European History Journal.
Utter and absolute nonsense.

Hello; Yes I am a newbie and fiddling my way around here.
Does anyone have any Information on the daughter of Prince Alfred and Mabel FitzGerald, born at Carton House, 24, February 1899 or 1900?
Her name was Irene and born at Carton House in Maynooth(?).
I have read that Kind Edward entitled her the title of Lady, Irene Isabel Victoria Elizabeth Saxe Coburg Gotha. (I may not have all her names in the proper order.)
From what I have found she was sent to the U.S. (circa 1912) by her Mother (Mabel FitzGerlad) to Mabels American family and then married a commoner (Sept. 1914) in Upstate New York. Any information would be of much interest. Thank you.
Regards;
Blueblood1

Not thought to be false .. but False ... a total fabrication.
The story of Prince Alfred of Edinburgh fathering a daughter has never been verified and is thought to be false.

Alfred only had 6 children, and they were all with his wife. :)

1. Hereditary Prince Alfred (15 October 1874 - 6 February 1899)
2. Princess Marie (29 October 1875 - 18 July 1938) married, 10 January 1893, King Ferdinand I of Romania (1865–1927); had issue.
3. Princess Victoria Melita (25 November 1876 - 2 March 1936) married (1), 19 April 1894, Ernst Ludwig, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine; had issue; divorced 21 December 1901
(2) 8 October 1905, the Grand Duke Cyril Vladimirovich of Russia; had issue.
4. Princess Alexandra (1 September 1878 - 16 April 1942) married, 20 April 1896, Prince Ernst of Hohenloe-Langenburg; had issue.
5. Stillborn son 13 October 1879
6. Princess Beatrice (20 April 1884 - 13 July 1966) married, 15 July 1909, Don Alfonso, Infante of Spain, 3rd Duke of Galliera; had issue.

:flowers:

They should have let Baby Bee marry GDuke Michael. But! If wishes were horses, beggers would ride. . .

Marie's perceived snub by the Queen and other members of the Royal Family developed into a dislike of all things English. After Alfred was posted to Malta, does anyone have any information about how the Royal couple felt about that Mediterranean island and how they were treated by the Maltese?

:previous:Queen Marie of Roumania's book says that she and the other children had a lovely time. Not so sure about what the parents thought. Don't forget, Marie (the mother) was a Grand Duchess and very senior in Russia but lower down on the totem pole in England and that rankled her quite badly. (This from Queen Marie of Roumania's Memoirs.)

Most definitely. She was the only surviving daughter, so was her father's favorite child and spoiled rotten.

Lad Irene & Prince Alfred

In response to Marlene Koenigs reply to a post about Lady Irene FitzGerald and Prince Alfred.
My Grandmother was Lady, Irene FitzGerald-Bush. To say that this was concocted by her son Frank.S. FitzGerald-Bush is a bit brash. I lived with my Grandmother at the Family Estate Crom House in Miami, Florida. In the 50’s & 60’s when I was a teenager, and in the 70’s as a young adult Lord Louis Mountbatten had visited us many times, visiting his Cousin Lady Irene. I write this as my Uncle Frank passed away in 1999 and cannot defend himself against the postings here and elsewhere.
In 1980-81 Lady Iris Mountbatten from Toronto, Canada and her son Robin Alexander Bryan also lived with us in Miami.
I remember as a child reading letters from Princess Louise to my Grandmother, Lady Irene. My Grandmother also had received many items from members of the Royal Family, in particular two dolls (as being replicas of the Queen) from Queen Victoria, being more than 120 years of age now they do show the age even though we have attempted to maintain their condition as much as possible. The letters from Princess Louise were damaged in Hurricane Andrew-1992 when Crom House suffered severe Hurricane damage.
In the mid 70’s I lived in Ireland where I attended Trinity College, staying for a period of time with the Guinness family as Desmond has been a family friend, especially to Uncle Frank for more than sixty years. While I was in Ireland I had the honour of the company many times with Lord Louis “Dickie” Mountbatten. I returned to America just a month before Dickie was murdered on his boat. I also visited Carton House in Maynooth where my Grandmother was born. And, I was not treated as a tourist.
The Irish treated me with the utmost respect as they were aware of the Mabel FitzGerald and Prince Alfred issue.
There have been quite a number of Royals who attempted to marry outside the [Royal Marriage Acts of 1772] as did Prince Alfred and Mabel. Their (Alfred & Mabel) marriage was annulled. This does not mean that there was not a child brought into this life through their relationship.
Bee Jordan( a friend of Mr. Bush) & John Van der Kiste communicated with “Uncle Frank” while they were writing “Dearest Affie” in 1984 {page 165 notes the marriage of Alfred and Mabel and it being annulled} They also mentioned Frank S. FitzGerald-Bush in their page of Acknowledgments for the people who helped them in gathering information for the book.
As most of us know marriages outside of the Royal Marriage Acts are frowned upon by the Royals and dismantled.
Mabel FitzGerald had relatives in America and sent her daughter to live with them as during WWI her safety may have been compromised as being of the Saxe Coburg-Gotha name and its German heritage. {As King George changed the Battenburgs to Mountbatten}.
At my Grandmothers funeral Queen Elizabeth sent a four foot Wreath of Roses and a note of sympathy on Buckingham Palace Stationary, as well as flowers and sympathy note from King Juan Carlos of Spain.
It seems to me, and any prudent person that the Queen would most likely not be concerned of the passing of “a nobody”. The Queen also sent her sympathies on the Palace Letterhead when she was notified of the passing of Lady Irenes’ eldest son Mr. FitzGerald-Bush in 1999.
We are also aware that the Royals try to avoid any scandals. Lady Irene was real, and not Concocted... dig deep and you will find the truth. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:
Not thought to be false .. but False ... a total fabrication.
If it is a total fabrication. Can you show the proof of fabrication?

With all do respect where is your documentation of the fabrication? What did you write in your book that you state. The statement is a bit obscure....did you speak to Mr. Bush about his fabrication?

I believe the Duchess's dislike for all things English extended to George V, who was in love with Marie of Edinburgh. Though Marie didn't fancy George, they did remain close cousins and good friends. I think George V would have bored Marie in later in life.

Just imagine how different history would have been in Marie was Queen Consort instead of Mary. Let's see...troublesome sons...which would you perfer...King Carol of Romania or Edward VIII of the United Kingdom. I am going to go with Edward VIII because you had George VI who understood the word duty.

Back
Top Bottom