The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Mossy was Princess Margaret. Here is a short bio from Wikipedia.

Princess Margaret of Prussia (Margarete Beatrice Feodora) (22 April 1872 – 22 January 1954) was a daughter of Frederick III, German Emperor and Victoria, Princess Royal. She married Prince Frederick Charles of Hesse. In 1926 they became Landgrave and Landgravine of Hesse. She lost three sons in the two World Wars.

-----------------------------------

Some of the Prussian princesses had a somewhat bad reputation from what I have read. No one really wanted to be associated with Wilhem, and I believe another Prussian princess (was it Louise of Sweden) married into another former house and it wasn't a success. Some royal houses weren't interested in trying to wed another one.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I always heard that she was named 'Melita' for Malta, but how is that since the names are somewhat simular but not the same in Englsih at least.
To my understanding, the Greeks and the Romans called the island Melita !
However the word Malta is derived from the Phoenician word Malat.....
i think all three may had ruled the island at one time or another !

Old 03-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
In Queen Marie of Roumania's bio she talked about Georgie, I think there was "something there".
She (Queen Marie) talked extensively about how whenever her mother traveled she had a huge perscription chest that had everything in it. I'll find the link.
Here's an excellent description of Marie of Edinburgh by Queen Marie her daughter. It's in "The story of my life: Chapter 5" I've included the link to the whole site as there may be other things TRF readers are interested in.
Queen Marie - Regina Maria of Romania
Old 03-06-2010, 03:05 AM
Administrator

Thanks Russo. I'll just directly post this part. Queen Marie was quite incisive in the analysis of her mother:

Mama's Contradictory Personality

A CURIOUS mixture of tyranny and extraordinary kindness, she could undo at a blow years of patience and tolerance by a sudden hard and often unjustified rebuke, which, one felt, a quite small effort of self-control on her part could have avoided. There was, I think, something of that mysterious Russian irresponsibility in her nature, an elemental exasperation against all things and even against herself, which other nationalities in vain try to understand. There was a fundamental impatience beneath all her virtues, some urge to overthrow, to destroy with open eyes, even what she most appreciated, needed or loved—an impatience quite inexplicable except to those who knew the very basis of her nature, disciplined to the verge of torture by those who brought her up. It was a kind of rending asunder of bonds that were irksome, although, even to herself, she had never admitted that they were.

Mama, more than any other being I have ever known, would cut off her nose to spite her face.

. . . . . . . . . .
Extract from
The Story of My Life Part 5
by Marie, Queen of Romania
The Saturday Evening Post,
13 January 1934
Old 03-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Courtier

Here's a photo of a very young Marie in a Russian court dress I found on Flickr. She was really cute during her teenage years , although she grew up not to be very attractive. In this picture, I first had mistaken for her cousin Olga Konstantinova, so one can say that Marie looked more Romanov than Hessian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mariealexandrovna.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	273064  
Old 03-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Here is Winterhalter's portrait of Marie of Hesse that seems to prove your point Snowflower.
Web Gallery of Art, image collection, virtual museum, searchable database of European fine arts (1000-1850)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Marie of Hesse 1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	292216  
Old 03-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Serene Highness

Being Alexander II's only surviving daughter and favorite child, it seemed likely that Maria Alexandrovna could have follow in some of her relatives footsteps and married a royal with few prospects abroad who was willing to live in Russia (on the Tsar's dime). Every generation of Grand Duchesses had one: her great-aunt Catherine Pavlova (Alexander I's favorite sister), her aunt Maria Nikolaevna (Nicholas I's favorite daughter) and her niece Olga Alexandrovna. We know Alexander II was very sad at the prospect of her marrying abroad and Empress Marie did not like Alice of Britain/Hesse's suggestion that GD Marie marry Alice's brother Alfred, probably for the same reason since Marie was her favorite child too. Would Marie have happier in a similar arrangement instead of marrying into the British court? I guess in the end, she managed to become the Duchess consort of Coburg and rule her duchy as she pleased.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Nobility

Definitely a marriage that was a first for both countries, obviously..... and coming on the coat-tail of the Crimean War - it still amazes me that it was ever allowed to materialize! QV was never found nor trusting of the Russians.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Courtier

Well , that marriage was always a mystery to me. I mean, they went against the wishes of Queen Victoria and Alexander II in order to get married and they weren't even in love with each other........
Old 07-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Sad to here that there marriage was not happy.Queen Victoria wanted her children to marry for love.I wonder why they agreed to marry.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Sad to here that there marriage was not happy.Queen Victoria wanted her children to marry for love.I wonder why they agreed to marry.
I've been reading From Splendor to Revolution by Julia P. Gelardi and it gives some insight into why/how the marriage took place. As the spoiled and beloved only surviving daughter of the Tsar, she would have been ensured a large dowry when she married, something not lost on Alfred. But Alexander II did not want her to live outside of Russia and Marie wanted to stay close to her family, so Alfred had pursued Marie for sometime before she agreed to married him. Marie's change of heart probably came from the marital crisis of her parents. By the 1870s, Alexander II had become completely besotted with his mistress, Catherine Dolgorukov. While the Tsar had previous mistresses, this one was particularly intolerable, especially to the Tsar's younger children who were devoted to their mother. Alexander II eventually would move his mistress and their illegitimate children into the Winter Palace and marry her soon after the Tsarina's death, causing great scandal among the family and the court. So Marie might have wanted to escape marry into a foreign court so to escape the escalating family drama.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:46 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Alfred was the first royal visitor to Australia.
In 1867 he visited Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, and Tasmania.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:53 PM
Majesty

And was the victim of an assassination attempt on that tour.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
And was the victim of an assassination attempt on that tour.
On March 12, 1868 Prince Alfred, during his second visit to Sydney, was attending a fund-raising picnic on the Clontarf beachfront.
He was shot in the back by Henry James O'Farrell.
In April of 1868, O'Farrell was tried and hanged.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:41 AM
Administrator

One lasting outcome of the assassination attempt on Prince Alfred was the establishment of the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney, now one of Australia's largest.

The Prince was attending a fund-raising picnic for the Sydney Sailors Home at Clontarf Beach [for locals: Middle Harbour, east of the Spit Bridge] when the Irish would-be assassin shot him in the back, just missing his spine. For the following fortnight his recovery was attended to by six nurses who had been trained by Florence Nightingale.

Within two weeks of the events at Clontarf it was decided that a memorial building should be erected, "to raise a permanent and substantial monument in testimony of the heartfelt gratitude of the community at the recovery of HRH". This led to a public subscription which paid for the construction of the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital.

v Crest of the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RPA crest.png
Views:	8
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	292215  

Tags
biography, british history, duke of edinburgh, grand duchess marie, prince alfred, queen marie of romania, queen victoria's children