Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence, eldest son of Edward VII (1864-1892)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On June 30, 1889 The New York Times reported:
It is stated upon tolerable authority that young Prince Albert Victor, who is known as "Collar and Cuffs", is shortly to be married to his first cousin Princess Victoria of Prussia.

Would that have stopped World War I ?

The fact that most of the crowned heads of Europe at the time were cousins, siblings, children or parents of each other didn't stop the war from happening so I doubt that the marriage between two more cousins would have changed anything.
Especially not considering that Wilhelm and Victoria wasn't close.

Last edited:

If the NYT means Moretta, I'm not even sure where this "tolerable authority" comes from as I don't recall her being suggested as a match for Eddy, let alone a serious one, unless they're mixing her up with her younger sister Margaret (Mossy).

How would it have stopped Eddy dying of influenza in the interval?

Also, I can't believe the Times of all things found his humiliating nickname "fit to print". Poor Eddy.

If the NYT means Moretta, I'm not even sure where this "tolerable authority" comes from as I don't recall her being suggested as a match for Eddy, let alone a serious one, unless they're mixing her up with her younger sister Margaret (Mossy).

How would it have stopped Eddy dying of influenza in the interval?

Also, I can't believe the Times of all things found his humiliating nickname "fit to print". Poor Eddy.
US papers at the time were full of more or less made up articles about European royals. Especially numerous were those about engagements and imminent weddings. For many examples of these I'd recommend you to have a look at Marlene Koenig's blog Royal musings.

The Rannelagh Polo Club moved from Fulham to Barn Elms in 1884.
Was Prince Albert Victor a member of The Rannelagh Polo Club?

Back
Top Bottom