Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence, eldest son of Edward VII (1864-1892)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Albert Victor per se was a remembrence to Queen Victoria and Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. Nearly all of Victoria's grandchildren and greatgrandchildren beared at least one of these names in their full christian names. Lord Louis Mountbattens christian name for example: Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas of Battenberg.

Albert is indeed a beautiful name, as Victoria and Victor are as well. :) I always wondered a bit what would've been if Mary had married Eddie. I think they were much more different characters than George and Mary were.

Queen Mary's first boy was called Edward and the second Albert ( future Georges VI).
Was is a remember of Mary's first fiance ?

Within the family the future Edward VIII/Duke of Windsor was known as David.

Queen Mary's first boy was called Edward and the second Albert ( future Georges VI).
Was is a remember of Mary's first fiance ?

Queen Mary and George V decided to name King George VI, Albert to appease Queen Victoria since he was born on the anniversary of her husband's death * oops * :sad:

Do we know anything about Eddie's feelings for Mary? Maybe through letters?

After the engagement was announced Prince Albert Victor wrote to his aunt Princess Louise and her husband the Marquess of Lorne-

"I wonder if you were surprised when you saw that I was engaged? I daresay you were, for I must say I made up my mind rather suddenly, which I think however was the best thing after all, and it is really time that I thought of getting married, if I ever am to be. Anyway, it is now settled at last, and I think I have done well in my choice, for I feel certain May will make an excellent wife, and you may be certain that I shall do my best to make her a good husband. Your affectionate old nephew Eddy".

:previous:

Thank you for the quote, Roderick! Doesn't sound like a love-story, but I knew before that it was more an arranged engagement. Mary was quite passed around IMO.

I hardly think passed around is a term I would use.

Mary was familiar with both Wales boys and actually took some time to grieve before agreeing to marry George. It turns out that it was a good match as they (King George V and Queen Mary) were quite devoted to each other. Sometimes things happen for a reason.

Last edited:
Well, you shouldn't weigh up every word, dear Zonk. :flowers: I know I have sometimes a bit of a sharp tongue but I never mean any offence by it. And I know it were very different times and very different society circles. I'm happy for Mary that it all turned well with George in later times! They were a good match IMO.

Its just a bit strange from today's view and it came through my mind when I read the quote from Eddie's letter. I have a feeling, George really was the better husband for Mary (not because of the letter but from what I've read and heard about Eddie's and George's characters).

I think that "passed around" is a pretty good description of how Mary was treated. The senior royals decided that Mary was good marriage material, and just because one engagement didn't work, that doesn't mean she wasn't still a good candidate.
It seems cruel and inhumane in this day and age, but the whole function of royal women in a hereditary monarchy was (and still is?) to get married and have children. Mary knew that and I think pretty much accepted it.
If Eddy had become king, what do people think he would have styled himself as: Albert I, Victor I, or Edward VIII?

I think that "passed around" is a pretty good description of how Mary was treated. The senior royals decided that Mary was good marriage material, and just because one engagement didn't work, that doesn't mean she wasn't still a good candidate.
It seems cruel and inhumane in this day and age, but the whole function of royal women in a hereditary monarchy was (and still is?) to get married and have children. Mary knew that and I think pretty much accepted it.
If Eddy had become king, what do people think he would have styled himself as: Albert I, Victor I, or Edward VIII?

Edward VIII- the most traditional choice is what he would have chosen I feel. Victor? No, there would be no reason to choose that name.As for Albert, I doubt it, although Queen Victoria would have loved that had she been able to see it. May was good marriage material. She proved an excellant Queen Consort and good wife to George V. She also had all sons except for one girl, which in those days was a desirable attribute for a royal woman to have.

Maybe Albert Victor I? This would have honored both grandparents but Grace Angel is probably correct that he would have chosen Edward because we are assuming he would have taken the throne after his father who was Edward VII.

May was good marriage material, with a definite sense of duty and knew how to behave but having mostly sons was due to her husband, wasn't it? Of course, back then they would not have known, or suspected, that it was the man who determined the sex of the child.

I'm not so sure if he would have chosen Edward VIII. Didn't he had quite a difficult relationship with his father?

I have not read much about the Prince's life but I thought Edward VII was fond and got along with all of his children. I did read that upon "Eddy's" death, the Prince of Wales wrote to the Queen that he would have sacrificed his life for his son.

I watched "A royal family" recently and as I remember right they said Edward VII. wasn't very fond of Eddie's way of dressing and found him a bit cissy.

I'm not so sure if he would have chosen Edward VIII. Didn't he had quite a difficult relationship with his father?

Yes. His relationship with his father was quite difficult.

Prince Albert Victor did mention in a letter that Edward was his preferred name rather than Albert Victor which nobody other than Queen Victoria ever referred to him by. It was probable that he would have been styled King Edward VIII had he eventually ascended the throne. This was probably a personal preference only rather than related to any difficulties with family members.

He was know as Eddy. He was strange, difficult and not at ease with his father. He would enevr have been King Albert Victor. His father loved him ,as parents love even the most difficult of children.

What parent has not, at times, had a difficult relationship with his or her children? Amusing, at least to me, that Edward VII might have had problems with Eddy's style of attire inasmuch as Edward was considered a dandy and quite a trend setter when it came to fashion. From the photos I've seen, it appears Eddy favored military uniforms and suits.

Amusing, at least to me, that Edward VII might have had problems with Eddy's style of attire inasmuch as Edward was considered a dandy and quite a trend setter when it came to fashion.

That's what I never understood. They both seemed to be dandy-like.

This is my first post ever although I have been a member since 2005, and I almost visits the website every day.
I should say that I also do have a great deal of sympathy for Queen Mary, she lost 3 of her sons, her husband and also her first fiancé. Also the scandal of Edward IIV and Wallis.

Last edited:
There is a documentary on YouTube called "Prince Eddy- The King We Never Had" posted by the same person who put up "Edward VII- Prince of Pleasure".

I DO NOT endorse the Prince Eddy documentary. See for yourselves but it is very one sided and trys to make Eddy someone he was not.

This documentary is also very derogatory about George V lamenting that he was a dull king and that Eddy would have been a far better king than his brother. I was deeply shocked at this outright slander of a king and his reign.

**This post can also apply to the George V thread**

I agree the "documentary" relies over much on speculation and "what ifs" but I don't think it slanders George V. It romanticizes the dead Duke of Clarence but it is fascinating to consider how history might have changed if the Duke had lived and took the throne after Edward VII. For example, George V did rescind the invitation for the Russian Royal Family to come to England. Now if Eddy was on the throne, don't you think as one who had been in love with Alexandra, that he might have allowed them to enter the country? what if . . .

She was a very strong lady.:flowers:

I should say that I also do have a great deal of sympathy for Queen Mary, she lost 3 of her sons, her husband and also her first fiancé. Also the scandal of Edward IIV and Wallis.

There is a documentary on YouTube called "Prince Eddy- The King We Never Had"...
Sans the speculation its pretty interesting piece, it's looks like the late was a decent man and would make a good king.

As for the speculative part its pretty silly, on one hand they suggest that PAV would be much more sensitive to the feeling of British public and then suggest he would ignore them completely in order to save his extremely unpopular Russian relatives. I also think they exaggerated the impact of George V on the BRF, the ones which build the BRF image as the perfect representation of middle class values was Victoria and Albert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to give my two cents, I don't think Mary was passed around or mistreated by Victoria's family. The same thing that happened to Mary happened to Alexandra's sister in Russia and in both situations everything ended up fine. I don't know a lot about Mary but becoming the queen of England would have been a good thing for her; and she might not have been against marrying her dead fiancé's brother.

How sad he died so young.Queen Victoria said right after his death "Gladly would I have given my life for his".

He looked so much like his mother.I wonder how things would be different if he was King and not George.

We'll never know. I guess it was never meant to be. But weren't some people actually relieved by the prince's premature death, because George behaved himself better and they thought he would make a better king? (We've probably talked about it in this thread, but I'm too lazy to check it up right now.)

How sad he died so young.Queen Victoria said right after his death "Gladly would I have given my life for his".

He looked so much like his mother.I wonder how things would be different if he was King and not George.

It would have been a disaster!
He was bad news; I read that he proved "impossible to educate."
Rumor had it that he spent much of his time in the brothels of the East End and may have contracted syphilis.

But there were lots of nasty rumors about him, including that he may have been Jack the Ripper!

(An interesting mystery about this is David Dickinson's Goodnight, Sweet Prince; it said "Eddy's" death was really murder and there was a massive cover-up).

It would have been a disaster!
He was bad news; I read that he proved "impossible to educate."
Rumor had it that he spent much of his time in the brothels of the East End and may have contracted syphilis.

But there were lots of nasty rumors about him, including that he may have been Jack the Ripper!

(An interesting mystery about this is David Dickinson's Goodnight, Sweet Prince; it said "Eddy's" death was really murder and there was a massive cover-up).

I agree the prince would not have made an ideal ruler but surely it is now common knowledge that most of these rumours have been proven to be either complete falsehoods or not based on any existing information. The David Dickinson book is a fictitious NOVEL only and it is extraordinary that the Jack the Ripper murders are still even mentioned as being connected with the Royal Family.

Back
Top Bottom