The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Ok, an axe. Wouldn't that have been kept? Especially when James I came to power.
Do you seriously believe anyone would have presented James I with the axe that took his mothers head off?

Why would an executioner have thought the axe he used on Mary was anything special? He likely went one to use it on many other people before tossing it away. I doubt if it ever had a brass plaque attached saying "this is the axe that beheaded Mary of Scotland".

Old 05-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Serene Highness

Well Artemisia, I found my connection to the Stuarts. I am a descendant of Eschyna, the wife of Walter FitzAllen, the first High Steward of Scotland. I descend from her daughter Isabella, born to Eschyna and her first husband Robert Croc. Isabella married my ancestor Robert Pollock, a knight following Walter Fitzallen. Robert Croc was also a knight following Walter Fitzallen. I found this in two places, "Normans in Scotland" by Ritchie, and a Wiki presentation on Walter Fitzallen. Looking in various books, thinking one might find some strange needle in the haystack, I finally found this descent of Isabella from Eschyna and Robert Croc. Eschyna married 3 times, the last one to a man who took Eschyna's name as title holder to an estate in Shropshire. The whole "gang", my relative Robert Pollock, Robert Croc, Eschyna, and Walter FitzAllen, all came from Shropshire.
I have been referring to them as the Shropshire Gang when writing my friend in Australia whose ancestors also came from Shropshire. I just found this two days ago. I might have other connections to Stuarts, probably do considering the amount of cousin marriage which went on among that gang, but here I have a direct descent from an ancestor of Mary Queen of Scots, which is what I always have told people I expected I had, not descent "from" her.

Isabella Croc Pollock's name does not appear in all records you can read online.
Some refer to her as "unknown daughter" or ignore her. She was not important, compared to her brothers, or, later, her half-sibling-cousins born of her mother and Walter FitzAllen.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Australian actress Adelaide Kane is to play Mary, Queen of Scots in a new US drama. But she is not the first actress to portray the troubled royal.
BBC News - Leading ladies: The many faces of Mary, Queen of Scots
Old 05-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
Australian actress Adelaide Kane is to play Mary, Queen of Scots in a new US drama. But she is not the first actress to portray the troubled royal.
BBC News - Leading ladies: The many faces of Mary, Queen of Scots
I think I may give this one a miss!

'Reign'

Old 05-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Serene Highness

OMG!!! I can't wait~~~!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Mary, Queen of Scots exhibition

Mary, Queen of Scots exhibition | Royal Collection Trust
Old 06-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Courtier

This is a very interesting thread. A lot has been written about Queen Mary's lack of knowledge about Scotland and its complicated (and treacherous) politics, but how do people think Mary would have fared if Francis had lived a few years longer and she had been able to bear him children.

I'm not sure about the custom of the time, but it seems to me that it had been assumed that she and Francis were going to live in France. The French monarchy was far more prestigious than the Scottish monarchy. I've read that Mary was very popular in the French court and only Catherine de Medici didn't like her because she was jealous.

Would Mary have gone back to Scotland after her husband's death if she had children in France? If Francis had lived longer, would Catherine de Medici's influence have waned after Mary had children or would the two women battle for supremacy within the court?
Old 06-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

If Mary had a son with Francis she might have held some influence but she'd have to go head to head against Catherine which I'm sure the wily eternal Regent would have won hands down!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
If Mary had a son with Francis she might have held some influence but she'd have to go head to head against Catherine which I'm sure the wily eternal Regent would have won hands down!
Interesting. I agree that Mary's would have had difficulties if she had remained in France--although the results probably would not have been fatal. Mary didn't seem capable of thinking more than one or two steps ahead. I think she would have been fine if she had married someone competent. It's not fair to compare her to Queen Elizabeth, but she wasn't even as competent as Mary of Guise.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Interesting. I agree that Mary's would have had difficulties if she had remained in France--although the results probably would not have been fatal. Mary didn't seem capable of thinking more than one or two steps ahead. I think she would have been fine if she had married someone competent. It's not fair to compare her to Queen Elizabeth, but she wasn't even as competent as Mary of Guise.
Or if Mary's shrewd mother had lived longer,Mary's rule of Scotland might have been more successful.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Royal Highness

I´ve read a lot about this historical period. What a bloodthirsty lot were those Tudors! And the horrible killings because of Religions! Elizabeth I never provided an heir to the throne and isn´t it interesting that after all the fightings and beheadings, it were Mary´s descendants that went on.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Catherine was the regent through the reigns of her children, but if Mary had a son before Francis died, would Catherine still have been regent? Perhaps Mary would have been regent for her son.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carminha Stalker View Post
I´ve read a lot about this historical period. What a bloodthirsty lot were those Tudors! And the horrible killings because of Religions! Elizabeth I never provided an heir to the throne and isn´t it interesting that after all the fightings and beheadings, it were Mary´s descendants that went on.
Carminha, I blame Henry for most of it, including the burning of Protestant "heretics" during Mary's reign. I don't think Mary was born cruel, but her father treated her and her mother so poorly that it hardened her. I think during the first few months of her rule, she announced that she would not force anyone to follow her religion, which was fairly progressive for the time.

Henry also failed to arrange a marriage for her when she was younger, which would have prevented the disastrous liaison with Philip of Spain. It is also possible that Mary may have successfully born a child when she was younger. If she had born a child, she wouldn't have been so worried about Elizabeth ascending the throne and reversing her reconciliation with Rome.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Saw this on the BBC - Mary, Queen of Scots modelled in 3D

BBC News - Mary, Queen of Scots modelled in 3D
Old 06-30-2013, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Catherine was the regent through the reigns of her children, but if Mary had a son before Francis died, would Catherine still have been regent? Perhaps Mary would have been regent for her son.
Its interesting as Mary would have the backing of her powerful House of Guise relations but Catherine would no doubt have turned to her Bourbon relations and possibly the Huguenots.A war of the Queen-Regents,as much as I like Mary Stuart I think Catherine would have won and was the best option for France at that precarious time.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Its interesting as Mary would have the backing of her powerful House of Guise relations but Catherine would no doubt have turned to her Bourbon relations and possibly the Huguenots.A war of the Queen-Regents,as much as I like Mary Stuart I think Catherine would have won and was the best option for France at that precarious time.
It is interesting that two women, Catherine de Medici and Mary of Guise, were reasonably successful regents, even though it was such a precarious time in Europe. Neither of them were actually raised in the countries they effectively ruled, but they were able to adapt and thrive much better than Mary, Queen of Scots did--although that isn't saying much.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Saw this on the BBC - Mary, Queen of Scots modelled in 3D

BBC News - Mary, Queen of Scots modelled in 3D
Thanks for sharing this - it was great! I always thought she would have a keen eye!
Old 08-10-2013, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Mary Queen of Scots: The art of marriage and murder

BBC Arts & Culture - Mary Queen of Scots: The art of marriage and murder
Old 08-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've always felt that part of Mary's problem was that she was raised in France ad was meant to rule a country like Scotland; but her mother was able to accomplish this task. I just assume Mary did not have the best skills at thinking through her actions.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Heir Apparent

XC....that is an understatement. Mary was essentially a Frenchwoman trying to rule Scotland, a country, culture and people she had little understanding of or affinity for.

And her judgment was frankly the pits.