Mary, Queen of Scots (1542-1587)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am now quite sure what your meaning of dower property is, but yes she would have at times been in attendance at Stirling. As you will already know she was the Regent for a period of time.

As somebody who has read a great deal about her life you would be disappointed with the film.
I love walking round Stirling castle ,it is so hard to believe we are walking where she once lived, also her son.
I love history.

Oh, you are SO lucky to be able to walk around Stirling Castle....I would go into orbit!:flowers:

ETA...I was such a MQoS fangirl as a child I planned to name my firstborn son STIRLING..I kid you not!!

Last edited:
I am now quite sure what your meaning of dower property is, but yes she would have at times been in attendance at Stirling. As you will already know she was the Regent for a period of time.

The Queen Regent was left a number of dower lands/properties by her husband James V to support her in her widowhood. Falkland was another one though I don't think Marie de Guise liked that residence as James V had died there.

For her marriage to Henry, Lord Darnley, Mary, Queen of Scots had a papal dispensation from Rome. The dispensation was necessary because Mary and Henry were step-first cousins.
Mary and Darnley were both grandchildren of Margaret Tudor, Mary from her first husband and Darnley from her second. You could call them half cousins as they shared "blood" - "steps" have no blood tie.

Margaret Tudor > James V > Mary
Margaret > Margaret Douglas Countess of Lennox > Henry Stuart Lord Darnley

The Queen Regent was left a number of dower lands/properties by her husband James V to support her in her widowhood. Falkland was another one though I don't think Marie de Guise liked that residence as James V had died there.

Marie had the benefit of two sets of dower lands, which allowed her to support her daughter quite well while in France (as well as money from the French king). As well as the lands and income in Scotland, she still maintained dower lands from her first husband.

Stirling, Falkland and Linlithgow were all part of her dower lands.

During her husband's life time Falkland was her favorite. She over saw a great deal of building work including adding a real tennis court to the home. This changed after the death of her husband. Stirling would become her main home after his death.

Dower lands were pretty standard in royal marriage contracts. Lands provided to the bride on case of being widowed, to support their household. Some women would retire to them, others lived off their income.

Marie also had dower lands in France from her 1st marriage to Louis d'Orléans, duc de Longueville .

Later Mary Queen of Scots would also have dower lands in France too.

On May 12, 1567 Mary, Queen of Scots created James Hepburn, Earl of Bothwell was duke of Orkney and lord of Shetland (titles once borne by his ancestor the 1st Earl) and placed the ducal crown on his head. :crown2::crown2:

Patrick Hepburn, 1st Earl of Bothwell was Lord High Admiral of Scotland and Lord Hailes but he was never Duke of Orkney.

That title was given to James Hepburn, 4th Earl of Bothwell in 1567 when he married the queen of Scots.

Would it have been successful if Mary, Queen of Scots had married King Henry VIII's son, the future Edward VI?

:previous: I don't believe so. Both were highly intelligent but all similarities end there.

Mary was passionate, impetuous, and unswerving in her Catholic faith.

Edward was emotionally rather cold. He was disciplined and lived in his head. And most important of all he was fanatically anti-Catholic.

Perhaps if they had been raised together (as Henry VIII had envisioned when he instigated the "Rough Wooing" intended to seize Mary and bring her to England as Edward's future bride) ...Mary's famous charm would have softened Edward and they would have become fond of one another....it's fascinating to think about.

Had Mary wed King Edward VI and been made a Queen Regnant to be a joint sovereign with Edward, she would have been Queen Mary II of England.

She would. However I feel that her marriage to Edward would cause religious conflict, even rebellions, in Scotland and possibly also in England.

Last edited:
Had Mary wed King Edward VI and been made a Queen Regnant to be a joint sovereign with Edward, she would have been Queen Mary II of England.

Had Mary married Edward she's have been Queen Consort of England and Queen Regnant of Scotland.
If she was made joint sovereign of England she'd have been Mary I of England as Mary Tudor would never have been queen.

Have Mary Queen of Scots' rosary beads been recovered?
Are there any details about the theft?

:previous: That is horrible. That Rosary is priceless. I hope and pray it's not destroyed for value even though the woman in the YouTube video believes it's unlikely.

In any case it will be a miracle if it's ever recovered.:sad:

In Mary Queen of Scots, Antonia Frasier wrote: Was the Scottish queen to be received at the English court, and permitted to enjoy full liberty in England? The Venetian ambassador in Paris sanguinely reported that a palace was being specially prepared for Mary in London.

Which palace might that have been?

:previous: Greenwich perhaps? It was Elizabeth's favorite, the best in town.

She would have wanted to show off and impress her rival. ;)

Tomorrow is the anniversary of Mary's execution at Fotheringay Castle.

In Mary Queen of Scots, Antonia Frasier wrote: Was the Scottish queen to be received at the English court, and permitted to enjoy full liberty in England? The Venetian ambassador in Paris sanguinely reported that a palace was being specially prepared for Mary in London.

Which palace might that have been?

This would have been on her return to Scotland from France and not during her exile?

I wonder if Mary's rosary, which was stolen from the castle of the Duke of Norfolk, has ever been recovered?:sad:

Last edited:
I wonder if Mary's rosary, which was stolen from the castle of the Duke of Norfolk, has ever been recovered?:sad:

A man was arrested following the theft of the Rosary beads at Arundel Castle but as far as I'm aware they were sadly not recovered.

The secret prison letters of Mary Queen of Scots which were found and have now been decoded.

There are over 50 encoded letters in the find and were written between 1578 and 1584 and sent to the French ambassador for Mary's relatives in France.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64569883

Back
Top Bottom