The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-22-2016, 11:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
In 1918 Princess Mary began a nursing course at the Great Ormond Street Hospital.
When she was the Countess of Harewood, Harewood House was used as a convalescent hospital during the Second World War.
Did Princess Mary perform nursing duties then?
I shouldn't think so. The family had moved out and were living elsewhere, I believe. The Countess was patron of a lot of charities and different organisations during the war including wartime canteens and Territorial units like the Women's Royal Army Corps (as it became after the war) which she went around the country inspecting.

Women in all royal families in the early 20th century were expected to take on a role in nursing organisations and Princess Mary took an interest in them later in life as well as during World War One, but that didn't necessarily mean walking around taking temperatures, giving out doses of medicine or dealing with bedpans! Nurses in World War 2 were very professional, and I don't think a short course at the end of WW1 would have cut it somehow!

Old 08-23-2016, 01:27 AM
Royal Highness

Many Royal women took on nursing roles even in WWII. Marina of Kent was a nurse in WWII in London, while working under an alias. Nursing in WWI was just as complicated as WWII, perhaps even more because the conditions were primitive and medicine hadn't advanced until after the First World. Some Royal nurses did indeed take temperatures, handle bedpans and give medication, some assisted in surgeries and some even sutured wounds if a doctor wasn't immediately available. All nurses learned these things through Red Cross Nursing Courses and then hands on in the field because they had to. I don't think Princess Mary had those extensive duties, but she still experienced the horror of war injuries in her nursing. During WWII I think she supported many war and nursing charities and visited the wounded in hospitals of course.

I do have one question. I've read varying accounts of Mary's marriage. Some accounts have written that it was a happy marriage while others have written that Mary was the victim of verbal and sometimes physical abuse by her husband at times. I don't really know if the latter is true. Has anyone read anything to that effect? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, of course there were all those rumours weren't there, that Lascelles had proposed to her after an unrequited love and for a bet at his club, and that Mary had absolutely wept buckets because her father George V wanted the marriage due to the Lascelles wealth and so forced her to go through with it.

I don't think any of that's true as I read in a biography of George VI that when Viscount Lascelles proposed Mary was so excited she rushed off to tell her mother straight away and they had trouble disturbing her father to tell him the news.

Earl Harewood addressed the rumours of a deeply miserable marriage in his biography and more or less said it was hogwash. Mary was shy, liked a country lifestyle, and the two of them, according to their son, had many mutual friends and interests in common. They both seem to have been rather unemotional stiff upper lip people, but I've never read any credible accounts of violence and misery.

Perhaps because Lascelles was a rather odd looking individual, a bit like a lugubrious bloodhound, and quite a bit older than Mary, rumours started to account for her marrying him.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:46 PM
Serene Highness

I never have read anything to indicate violence etc. I've read one or two accounts that mary wasn't happy but it was unthinkable of course to separate or divorce. However, I'd be dubious. I am sure that George V never pushed her into the marriage, he loved her.. and I'd say that Mary was eager to marry. It wasn't that easy for Royal women to find a husband, once the foreign princes were off limits.. and foreign royals meant exile and loneliness.
I woudl agree, it was problaby a good enough marriage. They boht liked county life, horses and dogs, and they had their sons. Maybe not "wild romance" but a decent enough marraige.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
Many Royal women took on nursing roles even in WWII. Marina of Kent was a nurse in WWII in London, while working under an alias. Nursing in WWI was just as complicated as WWII, perhaps even more because the conditions were primitive and medicine hadn't advanced until after the First World.
I do have one question. I've read varying accounts of Mary's marriage. Some accounts have written that it was a happy marriage while others have written that Mary was the victim of verbal and sometimes physical abuse by her husband at times. I don't really know if the latter is true. Has anyone read anything to that effect? Thanks in advance.
I suspect it is a bit exaggerated iwht some Royal women how much nursing work they actually did or whether they did much of the icky bits like bedpans and washing.. OTOH, they may not have had the time or opportuntiy to learn the more "scientific" stuff so the more basic tasks like bedmaking and washing and so on, were what they could help with...
Princess Alice of Battenberg, P Philips mother, helped to nurse in hospitals during the war, I Believe.. and I'd believe it that she was hands on and worked at the job..
Old 09-12-2016, 03:42 AM
Heir Apparent

I am not sure if Alice worked as an actual nurse, but she did establish nursing circuits. She helped organize an orphanage, shelter and soup kitchens. She would go out after curfew to feed police officers send others, risking getting shot. Her and princess Nicholas (mother of princess marina of Kent) remained in Greece when the rest of the royal family were in South Africa during the war. They lived in a town house owned by their brother in law George in the heart of Athens. Alice used to fly to Sweden under the pretence of visiting Louise, to bring medical supplies back to Greece. Even over looking the protection of Jews which got her the honorific righteous among nations, she showed incredible bravery in her other work. Princess Nicholas's daughter living in the uk and married by then, also trained as a nurse and
Old 09-12-2016, 04:07 AM
Serene Highness

I'm sure I've read that she worked in a hospital or at least in a sick ward in a camp or orphanage. And that when some Nazi dignitaries were visiting she put her hands behind her back and refused to shake hands with them.
She was clearly a very "social minded" person - in the sense of being into social welfare issues such as helping the poor, orphans etc.
And She showed great bravery in protecting Jewish people during the war...