The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-05-2017, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

The Tudor period was always my favorite in my history days, before I went practical into nursing. It always irritated me, the name Bloody Mary and the inaccuracy at best.

Henry viii executed tens of thousands of people in 36 years. During the reign of Edward over the thousand were executed, though as his regents ruled, he can't really be blamed. In comparison Mary's less than 400 is minimal.

The issue stems from the fact she was a Catholic queen of a Protestant country. During the very popular reign of her Protestant sister, the slandering of Mary started and lives today. What is forgotten is like her mother who was very popular, Mary was popular. Unfortunately she was popular with Catholics abd that was the minority. My English and Scottish Rd,stoves are Catholic, and I can imagine my Nana's reaction when she was alive if you used the term.pur family survived the Catholic persecutions, I know the family home had a priest hole.

Good read

The Elizabeth Files » The Myth of Bloody Mary

Old 01-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Majesty

Presumably because Protestant England won.
And we can't have the foremost Protestant monarch of England, who on top of that elevated England from a secondary to a more prominent, and wealthier power labeled "bloody". No, no! Better to give such a label to QEI's predecessor.

On top of that there would be a considerable political wish for QEI not only to detract from Queen Mary but also to emphasize her own benign rule. And those around her would have a very big interest in placing QEI on a pedestal.
The Tudors were pretty good at that, just look at Shakespeare's Richard III.

Congratulations on your first post, Feologild.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Majesty

The history was/is/will be written by victors. Queen Mary I was not one of them. Queen Elizabeth I, who facilitated regicide, will have a better reputation.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:43 PM
Majesty

I could not agree more. I agree that the "Bloody Mary" moniker is unfair, especially when compared to the record of Mary's august father Henry VIII(the details of his treatment of the Carthusian monks during the Dissolution of the Monasteries and his suppression of the Pilgrimage of Grace makes my blood run cold).

History is written by the victors.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 01-06-2017, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Elizabeth I does not have a good reputation in Ireland where hundreds of thousands died because of her and her governments policies here during the Tudor re-conquest of Ireland.

The reign of Mary I was largely peaceful here but it was the opposite for her half sister Elizabeth.Most of the Marian Irish RC bishops met with very gruesome deaths unlike their English counterparts who languished under house arrest.The Irish wars almost bankrupted Elizabeth and saw troops from France,Spain and the Papal States landing in Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Rebellions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Desmond_Rebellion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Y..._War_(Ireland)

Dermot O'Hurley,Archbishop of Cashel was one if the numerous Irish Catholic Martyrs and endured a horrible tortures before his execution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermot...rley#Martyrdom
Old 01-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Majesty

Ireland and the Northern Ireland viewed/views holders of the British Crown with caution/distrust/etc because of the planned and well-executed genocide. Represented by various Prime Ministers, the British Crown perpetrated it for many centuries. Queen Elizabeth I was one of the Crown Holders. Even Oliver Cromwell continued ghastly royal policy against Ireland.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Bishop of Mayo ,Patrick O'Hely

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_O%27Hely

Jesuit Priest Edmund O'Donnell
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_O%27Donnell

Margaret Ball,widow of the Lord Mayor of Dublin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Ball

The Wexford Martyrs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wexford_Martyrs
Old 01-06-2017, 05:01 PM
Courtier

My son recently returned from living in Belfast for 5 months. He said the people there do not trust the English, however so much funding comes from England that the country would go bankrupt if the whole country was reunited and the money from England would stop.