The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Courtier

This thread has been dormant for a while, but I have been reading a lot about the Tutors recently. In answer to Vasillisos Markos question, the claim that Henry VIII was responsible for the deaths of 72,000 people can be traced from the Holinshed's Chronicles, which were written by Raphael Holinshed, which were published in 1587.

I don't think there is an accurate record of all the executions ordered by Henry VIII, but I think it is well settled that he ordered the deaths of tens of thousands of people. Even taking the length of his rule into account (Henry VIII ruled for around 38 years and Mary I ruled for 3 years), Henry VIII executed more people per year than Mary I did.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Commoner

Queen Mary I was alienated from and made a bastard by her father, Henry. When she eventually came to the throne after the death of her brother Edward VI and the short rule by Lady Jane Grey, Mary began the persecution against many of the leading Protestants of the day gaining the infamous title of "Bloody Mary".

But did she really deserve to go down in history as a bloodthirsty, cruel monarch. I have just completed a short review of her life which you may read at Queen Mary I

Old 08-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Courtier

Thank you for the excellent summary of Queen Mary's rule. It was a fascinating time.

It's hard to understand from a modern perspective, but persecuting protestants was seen as protecting her people. At that time, the monarch was responsible for the spiritual welfare of the kingdom. The Queen was honestly concerned that heretics would led innocent people astray, which would mean those innocent people would then suffer eternal damnation. It was also a superstitious time, some people were afraid that if England separated from the true church, God would have sent some sort of natural disaster.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Royal Highness

In Royal Britain, it was stated:

On November 16, 1553 Mary declared her intention of marrying the Roman Catholic Prince Philip of Spain, son of Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor and King of Spain.
As 7,000-odd rebels prepared to attack the City of London, Queen Mary made a passionate appeal to an assembly of Londoners declaring, 'I love you as a mother loves her child'. She won their loyalty and the rebels were crushed.
In Kings and Queens of Great Britain, David Soud wrote:

Mary's sense of herself as queen was molded by her Catholic faith -- to an extent that she proved incapable of grasping the ambiguities and complexities of her position. In her mind, God had given her the task of restoring England to the Catholic fold, and that mission became the overriding priority of her reign.
Mary was named after Henry VIII's sister, Mary Tudor, Queen Consort of France and Duchess of Suffolk.
Mary I liked to be painted with her Italian Greyhounds at her feet.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:11 PM
Aristocracy

After the rebellion was put down (poor Lady Jane Grey) Mary was proclaimed Queen in London. Londoners went wild. Foreign observers looked on in amazement as the city celebrated.

According to 'Children of England' by Alison Weir, one Italian reported 'I am unable to describe to you, nor would you believe, the exultation of all men. They ran hither and thither, bonnets flew into the air, shouts rose higher than the stars, fires were lit on all sides, and all the bells were set a-pealing, and from a distance the Earth must have looked like Mount Etna.'

Once things were settled Mary had to make a decision about Edward VI's funeral. She wanted to hold a requiem mass and wrote to the Imperial Ambassadors asking their opinion. They replied that her brother should be buried according to the rites of the faith in which he had lived and died. 'The Emperor would not like you to make any innovations'.

Mary was very disappointed with that response as she had hoped for support. She therefore decided to ignore their advice.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Mary was named after Henry VIII's sister, Mary Tudor, Queen Consort of France and Duchess of Suffolk.

I read that Mary I was named after Mary Tudor because she was Henry VIII's favourite sister, but I would need to double check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita View Post
I am in no way a Catholic apologist but I like Mary because she did do a lot of good things in her reign as well that get overlooked because she inserted her absolute will like any other ruler. At least she stood for her faith because she believed it was right and not because she had other motives.
I know I'm quoting an old post here (mea culpa), but the bolded is how I feel about Mary I as well. She and the Tudors have also always fascinated me, and I first became interested in the BRF when I was around eight or nine because I had been reading about these historical periods in question. I've read that one of the good things Mary I would do during her reign was to disguise herself as a peasant woman, and knock on the doors of the houses of the poor, and if she saw anything that she thought wasn't right or that could be improved, she would go about doing so, but that's another fact I would need to double check.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my TRF group about British Royal Children!
Old 11-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
That *is* mentioned in the wiki article on Mary Tudor, but if you're going to quote wikipedia one line at a time, wouldn't it be easier to just link the entire article?
Old 11-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Royal Highness

It was interesting to learn that one of the possibilities of a husband for Mary I was Edward Courtenay.
He was a descendant of the House of York.
Edward's title was Earl of Devon.
In The Kings and Queens of England, Ian Crofton wrote:

When she was visited by Nicholas Ridley, the Protestant Bishop of London, she (Mary) dismissed him with the following words: My Lord, for your gentleness to come and see me, I thank you; but for your offering to preach before me, I thank you never a whit.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
That *is* mentioned in the wiki article on Mary Tudor, but if you're going to quote wikipedia one line at a time, wouldn't it be easier to just link the entire article?
Our Cyril is our tidbit trivia man. I tend to remember the short bits entered into a thread more than if I had read the entire article.

That's me though.