William the Conqueror (c1028-1087)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Harold, King of the English, swore fealty to Guillaume, Duc de Normandie (William I)
http://www.maryevans.com/history/harold-pays-homage-10026081

Harold swore an oath on sacred relics to William,Duke of Normandy to support his claim to the English throne,this scene is depicted on The Bayeux Tapestry and is assumed it took place at Notre Dame de Bayeux .
640px-Bayeux_Tapestry_scene23_Harold_sacramentum_fecit_Willelmo_duci.jpg

Through Matilda of Scotland's family, Scotand and England were kept at peace.

Matilda of Scotland was the wife of Henry I of England :previous:

King William I summoned all his nobles to Salisbury, where each one of them was required to swear an oath of fealty directly to him.
Until then, each noble had paid tribute to his particular overlord.

????????????????????​

Game of Thrones star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is set to play William of Normandy in a new TV series
'King & Conqueror': Cast, Synopsis, and More for BBC Medieval Drama

I am a huge fan of this part of history. Swordsmen, Vikings, which became Kings in Southern Italy, England, Russia and the Near East. And all the high nobles of Europe have now their blood in their venes...

I have my own little electronic database about the Normans, with everything in it, what was available to me, be it films, docus, e-magazines or e-books.

These dudes were colorful people: Tremendous warriors, smart, absolutely brutal sometimes (Harrowing of the North), clever in financial things (They invented the cheque.), pious ( Mont St. Michel), tolerant to everybody (If their overrule was accepted.) - They have changed the history of Europe.

Back
Top Bottom