The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-03-2015, 10:49 AM
Majesty

King Stephen (c. 1092-1154) and Matilda of Boulogne (c. 1105-1152)

Quote:
The remains of an English king could be dug up from a Faversham school field.

Just days after thousands gathered for the reburial of Richard III, plans to excavate the playing fields at the Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School (QE) have been unveiled with the hope finding the bones of King Stephen.

The body of the medieval king, along with his wife Queen Matilda and son Eustace, were buried in the grounds of the former Faversham Abbey church in 1154.
More: Is King Stephen under Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School playing fields in Faversham?

Old 04-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Heir Apparent

What a tumultuous reign Stephen had! Never able to reign with full confidence after 1138. It must have been a ghastly time to be alive. Life was hard enough without a civil war raging.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Aristocracy

Have you read The Brother Cadfael Books, by Ellis Peters? They take place during King Stephen's reign and the Civil War.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Aristocracy

And, I agree. Seems like a hard time to live in so many ways.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Children of King Stephen

The Children of King Stephen – History… the interesting bits!
Old 05-16-2015, 09:06 AM
Majesty

Sharon Kay Penman has a whole series covering this era and beyond. It's fiction however the historical content is accurate from what I understand/have read.

It starts when Matilda was only a girl and covers everything from that point to thru/during the reign of King John (her grandson).

https://faceintheblue.wordpress.com/...enryiitrilogy/

LaRae
Old 12-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Monarchy Rules: A Look At King Stephen

Monarchy Rules: A Look At Stephen | Royal Central
Old 01-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I like Stephan...I don't know why but I can't help to Like him...I also like Henry II.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 02-07-2016, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Anarchy from BBC4 : Melvyn Bragg and his guests discuss

BBC Radio 4 - In Our Time, The Anarchy
Old 02-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I like Stephan...I don't know why but I can't help to Like him...I also like Henry II.
I too like Stephen - sure he wasn't all that good a monarch but I still like him (but then I prefer John to his brother as well).

Something about them appeals to me somehow.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:24 AM
Heir Apparent

I like Stephan and dislike both John and Richard, both were wastes too me. I'm also a staunch lover of Henry VII who also doesn't happen to hate Richard III.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-07-2018, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Stephen and Matilda founded a monastery at Faversham as a thanks for peace and sponsored the Order of the Temple through the donation of a number of Matilda's properties in Boulogne and England.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Mary was the youngest daughter of King Stephen. She was the suo jure Countess of Boulogne from 1159 to 1170. Why was she abducted?
http://www.historyofroyalwomen.com/m...ss-of-boulogne
Old 01-29-2018, 11:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Mary was the youngest daughter of King Stephen. She was the suo jure Countess of Boulogne from 1159 to 1170. Why was she abducted?
http://www.historyofroyalwomen.com/m...ss-of-boulogne
Simple: Power.

Stephen's wife Mathilda was Countess of Bologne in her own right. Mathilda died in 1152. Marie's eldest brother Eustace died in 1153 and her brother William in 1159. They were both childless. That left Marie as the only living heir to her mother's estate. By abducting and marrying her, Mathew became joint ruler. Even when their marriage was annulled, and she returned to the abbey, he remained ruling until his death. Her daughter and heir Ida didn't become countess until her father's death. Mathew was a younger son, power was a huge drive.