King George VI (1895-1952)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Picture of Prince Albert (Later King George VI) with his Great Grandmother (Queen Victoria), Brother (Later King Edward VIII) and Sister (Princess Mary) taken around 1898.

Attachments

• image-2965398516.jpg
    image-2965398516.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 247
I wonder why Russia's abush from the Germans isn't focused on more in history books. It's always Poland France Blitzkrieg Pearl Harbor Normandy A bombs the end. Russia got pummeled during the war and still held on.
In regards to George VI, I find it so hard to believe that people actually found his brother the good looking one. I don't hate David like some seem to but he always seemed weird looking to me. Albert had full lips a perfect nose great cheek bones and lets not even talk about those amazing eyes.

I wonder why Russia's abush from the Germans isn't focused on more in history books. It's always Poland France Blitzkrieg Pearl Harbor Normandy A bombs the end. Russia got pummeled during the war and still held on.
In regards to George VI, I find it so hard to believe that people actually found his brother the good looking one. I don't hate David like some seem to but he always seemed weird looking to me. Albert had full lips a perfect nose great cheek bones and lets not even talk about those amazing eyes.

I wouldn't say it's completely brushed aside but due to the nature of that part of WW2 it's usually studied and discussed in it's own right because it's the most bloody conflict in human history with over 30 million killed (3/4's of those were civilians), the sheer scale of it all is just mind blowing.

I also think George VI was much better looking than his elder brother, if I had to put them in order of attractiveness (this is purely personal taste ofc) I'd say it was Duke of Kent then George VI, Duke of Gloucester and finally Duke of Windsor (Edward VIII)

Not that I've ever given it much thought :whistling:

Ok I admit I need to google the other 2 brothers to compare. I am reading a book on G6 now and the author calls him an ugly duckling; what world are these people living in! He was exceptionally handsome one of the few good looking members of his family. I don't mean that as an insult to people on this forum who admire the BRF, but there aren't that many 10's in the family. I'm starting to wonder if people only regarded David as the attractive one because he was older and had a more charismatic personality.

Oh I think David definitely got the lions share of the "movie star" charisma but then both Bertie and George (Duke of Kent) had that more down to earth good looks and innate charm about them plus they actually cared about people whereas David always comes across as shallow and quite selfish.

She certainly was a stunner so I'm not surprised that Bertie fell for her.

She was a beautiful woman indeed. The letters were very nice to read. It's such a shame that in the age of Facebook, Twitter and other media outlets, many have abandoned the idea of sitting down and writing nice and thoughtful letters to one another.

She was a beautiful woman indeed. The letters were very nice to read. It's such a shame that in the age of Facebook, Twitter and other media outlets, many have abandoned the idea of sitting down and writing nice and thoughtful letters to one another.

Some of us try to keep the noble art of letter writing alive, just running out of people that actually care to exchange letters. Like you said most appear to want the instant gratification of email or text messages.

Personally I adore getting handwritten letter from friends, it's always so much more personal and intimate than an email.

But I'm straying off topic...my apologies.

So George VI wasn't quite as loyal to Elizabeth as it is always portrayed.

This relationship was BEFORE as he danced with her for the last time before he actually met Elizabeth, although they remained friends. There is no suggestion here that he cheated on Elizabeth at all (although that is a suggestion I have read elsewhere but not in this case).

This relationship was BEFORE as he danced with her for the last time before he actually met Elizabeth, although they remained friends. There is no suggestion here that he cheated on Elizabeth at all (although that is a suggestion I have read elsewhere but not in this case).

Where have you read the suggestion that he ever cheated on her? Or did I misread what you were saying there?

Unfortunately I can't locate where I read it - and I admit it was possibly in one of those less than reputable sources - which is why I said 'suggestion' rather than fact.

He was courting Elizabeth but writing to another woman telling her how much he missed her. That sounds disloyal.

This is his 2nd 'secret love'. The other was actress Evelyn Laye.

Last edited:
He was writing to a lady he had agreed to leave - so it was over - and surely he is allowed to have lady friends. Evelyn Laye wasn't a 'secret love' as far as The Queen Mum was concerned. She knew about her and even joked with him about her, so not a secret between them - only to the general public.

Only a really possessive woman, or one who doesn't believe that he spouse actually does love her, would expect a man to give up all contact with previous lovers. Those women then wonder why their husbands leave them - as they can't see that we all need friends across the spectrum of our lives to grow and cutting them off diminishes us and the relationship.

During the Second World War, to help counter food shortages, George VI authorized the ploughing of 1,500 acres of Windsor Great Park to plant cereal crops.

In Kings & Queens of Great Britain, David Soud wrote:

In his spare time, George used his own tools at Windsor to manufacture weapons parts, and rather than order new collars and cuffs, whenever possible he had them made from fabric cut from elsewhere in his wardrobe.

In Kings & Queens of Great Britain, David Soud wrote:

Unexpectedly George (VI) took to kingship well. Within weeks, as he began to settle into its rhythms and responsibilities, a great deal of his shyness and hesitancy melted away.
Like his father, he seemed a living embodiment of traditional English values.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too found Edward VIII (David) to be odd-looking and thought both Georges, V and VI, better looking. Maybe they were the extremely rare royals of the era who were photogenic...most of the women certainly were not.

Events attended by George VI / Prince Albert

Good evening,

Does anyone know of a resource that has details of events attended by George VI?

My reason for asking is that I recently bought a commemorative medal, dated 1st September 1928, when he was still Prince Albert. The inscription (in Flemish) translates, roughly, as:

“ceremony (commemoration?) of the committee welcoming the British war injured/invalids”

Naturally, I am curious as to what the event was.

Any help gratefully received!

Thank you.

Andrew

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using The Royals Community mobile app

If you can find the Court Circular for that date you would probably find out. You local library may have The Times archived (my university library had them all on micro-fiche back in the 1990s but I haven't needed to go back that far since then so I don't know if they still have it. If not try writing to The Times or the Palace and someone will be able to help you.

lluvbertie,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply.

I'm embarrassed to say that I hadn't considered the local library! I will pay them a visit next week, although I suspect that they got rid of the michrofich (sp?) machine and reels years ago.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using The Royals Community mobile app

Having removed that actual method would possibly mean that they have a digital copy available online somewhere...

Prince Albert, the Duke of York took part in the celebrations for the centenary of Norwich Museum in October 1925.

King George VI and his wife entertained President Lebrun of France and his wife at the Royal Opera House in March 1939.

Prince Albert, the Duke of York conducted an inspection of the training ship Mercury at Hamble just before Christmas in 1929.

Dressed in naval uniform, King George VI listened to the matron of Norwich Hospital give her account of the bombing of the hospital in October 1942.

Prince Albert, Duke of York and the Duchess of York walked along Britannia Pier in April 1931.
They were on a visit to Yarmouth to support the annual conference of the National Union of Teachers taking place in the town.

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth began their trip to Canada in May 1939.

In 1931, Prince Albert, Duke of York and the Duchess of York took a trip to Paris, France.
The Duke and Duchess visited the Town Hall of the city of Paris where a civic reception was held in their honor.

King George VI inspected bomb damage in Bristol during mid-December 1940.

Prince Albert, the Duke of York, declared the opening of new sports fields at Hampton Wick, London in May of 1930.

King George VI visited the Festival of Britain in May of 1951.

It is a nice hat and at least Albert's not wearing one of those awful cut-down ball gowns complete with lots of petticoats that little boys were dressed in during the 1860's. There are several photos of the future king George V and his brother in such outfits. It was a very strange fashion.

It is a nice hat and at least Albert's not wearing one of those awful cut-down ball gowns complete with lots of petticoats that little boys were dressed in during the 1860's. There are several photos of the future king George V and his brother in such outfits. It was a very strange fashion.
I think that all male children wore petticoats till a certain age... until mid or late Victorain times

Back
Top Bottom