The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Courtier

LOL, I wonder how they would have figured that out, would some poor sap be dispatched to query the newly-widowed, fifty-one year old dowager?

Actually I think the Queen's proclamation did take place on February 6, the same date her father died, but the public proclamation happened a couple days later after Elizabeth returned to England from Kenya

Old 10-05-2017, 03:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaritsa View Post
I read, and it may VERY well be apocryphal, that there was a delay in proclaiming Elizabeth as Queen until it was certain that the Queen Mother wasn't pregnant! I offer no opinion on this.
I read it too; in "Royal Romances. Titillating Tales of Passion and Power in the Palaces of Europe" by Leslie Carroll.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBadger View Post
I've also read that. I believe it was in the book "Royal Feud."
YES!!! Indeed it was. Well done and thank-you to both you and Biri for reassuring me that I'm not losing it...............yet.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Courtier

Lady? Colin Campbell was married for about 15 minutes in the 60s or 70s to Campbell, but she has been using that name ever since. She? has always been on Wallis’s side against the royal family. I wouldnt believe her if she said the sky was blue and the grass was green.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

A few points:

Elizabeth was proclaimed Queen in London and Edinburgh on the 6th February.

She didn't take the oath in person until a few days later as she had to return from Kenya.

It wouldn't have mattered if the Queen Mum had been pregnant. The UK is never without a monarch so if she was then Elizabeth would have been Queen until the new child was born (no way of telling the gender of the baby in the womb back then) at which point Elizabeth would have abdicated in favour of her brother and then been Regent until he turned 18.

Lady Colin Campbell - like all other divorced wives in the UK - is entitled to continue to use her husband's name/title just as Diana and Sarah continued to do after their divorces.

The jewels that the various royal ladies have will be either part of the Royal Collection, in which case, they will always be part of the royal family as they belong to the nation; currently in the personal use of the given royal but destined for the Royal Collection on the death of the present user e.g. some of the jewels Sophie was given in the Middle East are hers to use in her lifetime but they they go into the Royal Collection with the expectation that either Louise or James' wife will wear it and then the granddaughter/s who knew Sophie; the third set is that that belongs to the royal personally and forms part of their estate and so can be sold but also has to be valued for death duties as well.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Lady? Colin Campbell was married for about 15 minutes in the 60s or 70s to Campbell, but she has been using that name ever since. She? has always been on Wallis’s side against the royal family. I wouldnt believe her if she said the sky was blue and the grass was green.
I almost put quote marks around Lady in my previous post.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

But would it be possible that the Queen Mother would have gotten pregnant NATURALLY (and in such an age) if she needed artificial insemination to have Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret?
Old 10-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Who said she needed artificial insemination? Oh yes, Kitty Kelley, whose book on the royals had so many errors I noted a dozen in the first couple of chapters, and also, guess who, Lady C again!

By the way, I was reading George VI's bio by Bradford last night and Elizabeth had Margaret naturally, at Glamis, after a six hour labour. No ceasarian.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Didn't then exist the rule: "Once a Caesarean, ALWAYS a Caesarean"?
Old 10-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Heir Apparent

In those days I think they played it by ear if things seemed to be going well, rather than subject the expectant mother to a quite serious operation.

The announcement at the time of Princess Elizabeth's birth was that 'a certain line of treatment had been successfully adopted'. That birth had been induced and perhaps labour was not progressing.

Margaret's birth being a natural one is in Shawcross, and the obstetrician assisting, Frank Reynolds, wrote to his wife of 'everything going smoothly without any trouble'.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Edward has only allegedly had illegitimate children - none were acknowledged or ever verified in any way
Yes I know. I merely pointed out that it was specualative, that mumps had made him sterile and that there are also rumours that he did father a child or 2.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
In those days I think they played it by ear if things seemed to be going well, rather than subject the expectant mother to a quite serious operation.

Margaret's birth being a natural one is in Shawcross, and the obstetrician assisting, Frank Reynolds, wrote to his wife of 'everything going smoothly without any trouble'.
OH I thought they were boht caesarians....
But certainly they didn't want to have too many of them, I think the rule was no more than 2 or 3.. so that may account for them not trying for a boy...
Old 10-08-2017, 05:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I almost put quote marks around Lady in my previous post.
She is entitled to use the title "Lady Colin Campbell"..
Old 10-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Maybe he had in mind "The operation went without complications"? (No heamorrage, no infection, no uterine rupture, etc.)
Old 10-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

It was 'after a six hour labour' that Margaret was born. (In Shawcross, the authorised biography which is fully footnoted.) You don't have a six hour labour, with everything 'going smoothly without any trouble' and then perform a ceasarian operation. There is no mention of a ceasarian operation in the account of Prss Margaret's birth.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:17 PM
Gentry

Is it true that George VI was prone to fits of rage?
Old 10-13-2017, 07:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Several royals were and are hot-tempered at times, including George. His tempers were referred to as 'gnashes' by his family. However, for most of the time he was quite even tempered. I wouldn't be surprised if some of his 'gnashes' were caused by frustrations over his stammer.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Majesty

Sounds like a reasonable explanation. You are right about the family "temper" though, many have been noted as being short-tempered. I imagine living in a fishbowl even within your own home must be extremely frustrating at times.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Several royals were and are hot-tempered at times, including George. His tempers were referred to as 'gnashes' by his family. However, for most of the time he was quite even tempered. I wouldn't be surprised if some of his 'gnashes' were caused by frustrations over his stammer.
Margaret probably got her moody behaviour from him.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:08 PM
Heir Apparent

George was never seen as a particularly moody person. I think David could be more fairly described as that.

Tags
biography, british history, duke of york, elizabeth bowes-lyon, george vi, pictures, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth the queen mother, queen mother, royal navy, windsor, world war ii