The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Aristocracy

King George V (1865-1936)

1,2,3. Princess Mary the Princess Royal (1897 - 1965), Prince Edward (1894 - 1972); (bottom, left to right) Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester (1900 - 1974), Prince George, Duke of Kent (1902 - 1942), Prince John (1905 - 1919) and Prince Albert, Duke of York (1895 - 1952).
4. George and John
5. George and Albert
6.Queen Alexandra and Grand children (royal children + with Alexandra and Maud of Fife)
7 Queen Mary, George, and Albert & Elizabeth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	british.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	112402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bay.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	112403   Click image for larger version

Name:	ds;nc.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	112404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gierge and John.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	112405  

Name:	EDW and Gorge an.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	112406   Click image for larger version

Name:	QAKL with gd children.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	112407   Click image for larger version

Name:	R fam.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	112408  

Old 03-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Aristocracy

More

Princess Mary the Princess Royal (1897 - 1965), Prince Edward (1894 - 1972); (Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester (1900 - 1974), Prince George, Duke of Kent (1902 - 1942), Prince John (1905 - 1919) and Prince Albert, Duke of York (1895 - 1952).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RCH.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	112409   Click image for larger version

Name:	RCHIL.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	112410   Click image for larger version

Name:	RCHILFRED.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	112411   Click image for larger version

Name:	RIOY FAM.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	112413  

Name:	rF.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	112414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Withy q Vic.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	112415  
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Serene Highness

Coronation & Regalia

1. In their coronation robes 1911
2. Third opening of parliament
3. The dress Queen Mary wore for Edward VII's coronation in 1902
4. Queen Mary at the coronation of King George VI
5. Portrait of Queen Mary of Teck (1867-1953) and George V (1865-1936) of England in full regalia.
6. Queen Mary, wife of King George V, wears the Order of the Garter
7. The state opening of Parliament. Photo shows the King and Queen in the state coach returning to Buckingham Palace.
8. King George V and Queen Mary as rulers of the British Empire.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Serene Highness

King Gerorge V

1. King George V
2. King George V 1925
3. The King At The Microphone - Christmas Broadcast at Sandringham, 1934.
4. King George V after his Empire Jubilee Year celebrating 25 years
5. A portrait of George V of Great Britain and Nicholas II of Russia. The two were cousins, and looked a great deal similar. Berlin, 1913.
6. In Naval Uniform
7. Three generations of British Royalty: George V (1865-1936), Edward VII (1841-1910) and Edward VIII, Duke of Windsor (1894-1972). Photograph ca. 1906.
8. Four generations of royalty: Queen Victoria, George V, Edward VIII.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Serene Highness

King Geroge V funeral

1. The coffin of the late King George V is carried into the chapel at Windsor for his funeral.
2. The Funeral Procession Of the Late King George V In London 1936
3. The new King Edward VIII of England takes part in the funeral procession of his late father King George V of England, accompanied by his brothers the Duke of York (on the left) and the Duke of Gloucester (on the right). January 1936.
4. The funeral procession through London
5. Men at work in the British Legion Poppy Factory at Richmond on wreaths for the Armed Forces to pay tribute to the late King, George V.
6. George V Lying In State.

Old 05-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Serene Highness

Does anyone know what kind of relationship King George V & Queen Mary had with Queen Elizabeth & princess Margaret?
Old 05-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Very Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashinka2002
Does anyone know what kind of relationship King George V & Queen Mary had with Queen Elizabeth & princess Margaret?
They had a very close relationship, especially between Queen Mary and Princess Elizabeth. It's as if the King and Queen knew there would be trouble with the Prince of Wales and were making sure that Elizabeth would be prepared for whatever happened.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

I read (can't remember where) that King George was very partial to Princess Elizabeth. It seemed as though he treated his Lascelles grandsons nearly as strictly as he'd treated his own sons when they were children, but he was far more relaxed with Princess Elizabeth. Princess Margaret was only about five when he died, so he wouldn't have related to her at all except as a young child.

Queen Mary, as Warren said, took a lot of interest in Princess Elizabeth's education and development; biographies have said that she was surprisingly indulgent of Princess Margaret because Princess Margaret knew how to be funny and daring and also probably because, as the younger daughter, she didn't have as much importance in the royal scheme of things. Goodness only knows what Queen Mary would have made of the Townsend affair, though. Something tells me the indulgent granny would not have been in evidence.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I read (can't remember where) that King George was very partial to Princess Elizabeth. It seemed as though he treated his Lascelles grandsons nearly as strictly as he'd treated his own sons when they were children, but he was far more relaxed with Princess Elizabeth. Princess Margaret was only about five when he died, so he wouldn't have related to her at all except as a young child.

Queen Mary, as Warren said, took a lot of interest in Princess Elizabeth's education and development; biographies have said that she was surprisingly indulgent of Princess Margaret because Princess Margaret knew how to be funny and daring and also probably because, as the younger daughter, she didn't have as much importance in the royal scheme of things. Goodness only knows what Queen Mary would have made of the Townsend affair, though. Something tells me the indulgent granny would not have been in evidence.
How nice to know that there was a sweet relationship between the grandparents & the princess'. I read that King George was very pleased with Bertie (King George VI) & Elizabeth's match. He apparently had a soft spot for her. he was quoted saying something along the lines of "You would be a lucky man if she had you" to Bertie. This could also explain the sweet indulgence.

What a lovely picture Squidgy.
I do see a nice family resemblance between the two.
Thank you.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:05 AM
Gentry

1901 Mary Teck and George made a Trip to Australia:

1.+2. 1901 - 9 May - Mary and George V in Melbourne
3.+4. 1901 - George V and Mary Teck
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Nobility

Wink Toria.

I read Georgy was so close to his sis Toria, that when she died in 1935, he knew he was gonna die, too, in fact he died in Jan 1936, but David, his son , called his aunt- a b... of the first order- it seems she was sharp- tongued, very mean and bitter. No wonder , after what her mum did to her.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily62_1
I read Georgy was so close to his sis Toria, that when she died in 1935, he knew he was gonna die, too, in fact he died in Jan 1936, but David, his son , called his aunt- a b... of the first order- it seems she was sharp- tongued, very mean and bitter. No wonder , after what her mum did to her.
Yes, you would be bitter too if your Mother forced you to be her companion spinster daughter!!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes - being a princess hasn't really been that great a proposition until recently. They got married off to some foreign stranger for political reasons and had to go and live abroad or had to stay at home and become Mama's lady in waiting.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Nobility

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Yes, you would be bitter too if your Mother forced you to be her companion spinster daughter!!
sure, that was so selfish of Queen Alix, she chose Toria, who, though not being beautiful at all, she had many chances of starting a family of her own, as she was 1 of the Wales Princesses, it was very cruel of Queen Alexandra not to let marry any1, she usually pretended to agree over a proposal to Toria, then used to deny it all using her deafness as an explanation.....
Old 08-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily62_1
sure, that was so selfish of Queen Alix, she chose Toria, who, though not being beautiful at all, she had many chances of starting a family of her own, as she was 1 of the Wales Princesses, it was very cruel of Queen Alexandra not to let marry any1, she usually pretended to agree over a proposal to Toria, then used to deny it all using her deafness as an explanation.....
You are exactly correct. I think Toria was actually in love at one point and wanted to marry but Queen Alexandra made sure that never happened. It is truly sad. At least Beatrice got married (albeit she still had to stay with Mama)!!!
Old 08-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Nobility

Cool

Quote:
You are exactly correct. I think Toria was actually in love at one point and wanted to marry but Queen Alexandra made sure that never happened. It is truly sad. At least Beatrice got married (albeit she still had to stay with Mama)!!!

indeed, her hubby, Liko, was so bored that he joined the British army in africa and died of a fever ! Mary, the Princess Royal was lucky her mum, Queen Mary, let her get married at all -
Old 08-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I've never heard that Princess Victoria had a chance to marry someone. Who was her suitor?
Old 08-18-2005, 12:11 AM
Nobility

Wink Toria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapple
I've never heard that Princess Victoria had a chance to marry someone. Who was her suitor?
I think it was Lord Roseberry , I'll check out if that's really the name, who used to live in Napoli, Italy- when she and her family came to Napoli, they were guest of Lord Roseberry , Toria fell in love with him, Q Alexandra was so opposive , in the end he left the town, so mysteriously, and got back only when the royal yacht had left Napoli's bay, his Palace is still here, QEII resided there, back in 1965.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Nobility

I mentioned earlier that King George V was poisoned by his doctor when the King was dying. Here is a link to an article in the BMJ that details the circumstances of the King's death.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte.../308/6941/1445

I am a doctor myself, and I find the actions of Lord Dawson abhorrent. The King was comatose, and the doctor did not relieve him of suffering--he merely ensured the time of death, making the life of King George V depending on the time of starting the printing presses.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapple
I mentioned earlier that King George V was poisoned by his doctor when the King was dying. Here is a link to an article in the BMJ that details the circumstances of the King's death.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte.../308/6941/1445

I am a doctor myself, and I find the actions of Lord Dawson abhorrent. The King was comatose, and the doctor did not relieve him of suffering--he merely ensured the time of death, making the life of King George V depending on the time of starting the printing presses.

You are quite right on this. It was desirable for the King to die before midnight so it could be reported by the "reputable" newspapers of the day. This was thought befitting His Majesty's status.

Personally, I feel injecting the equivalent of what is known as a "Speedball" here in America is quite disgusting and done for the wrong reason. He was not euthanized to spare him pain. He was euthanized to spare the Crown of having HM's death reported by lesser newspapers!!

Tags
biography, british history, george v, pictures, queen mary, royal navy, windsor, world war i