The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 09-30-2017, 09:58 PM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 627
Thanks Osipi, cepe, Curryong, and Ish. I will definitely check those out.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 09-30-2017, 10:11 PM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
How far back would you like to go? If you want to tackle Victoria and Albert you could do worse than to start with Elizabeth Longford's biography on Queen Victoria. It was written years ago but I'm sure there are copies in secondhand bookstores.

.
Curryong, I found a biography on thriftbooks by Longford on Queen Victoria, but one reviewer refers to there being a shorter and a longer version of the book. Do you know anything about that? I would definitely want to read the longer version. The reviewer said there were more details on characters.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 09-30-2017, 11:19 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,289
A SPIRIT UNDAUNTED, by Robert Rhodes James, is an excellent history of George VI's role during WWII. Bradford's book, the one you're just starting, is a very good one as well. George VI is perhaps my favourite of the 20th century British monarchs, although I have a lot of respect for George V as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I am about to read "The Reluctant King" about King George VI written by Sarah Bradford. I don't have any books waiting for me after I finish this one. I like to have at least one book waiting for me to read so can anyone recommend some more books on the British Royal family.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 09-30-2017, 11:54 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
Curryong, I found a biography on thriftbooks by Longford on Queen Victoria, but one reviewer refers to there being a shorter and a longer version of the book. Do you know anything about that? I would definitely want to read the longer version. The reviewer said there were more details on characters.
My book is so ancient it belongs in the ark! I bought it when it was first published. It is a thick book. Maybe Amazon or Abe or one of those sellers would have details about a later, shorter version. Then at least you'd know.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 10-01-2017, 01:31 AM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 977
I've read that the nannies more than just pinched David and Albert. They also deprived them of food and abused them physically, especially Albert. That's what led to Albert's stuttering, his shyness, and his health problems. And that's what led to David's neediness for a mother figure, and his self-centered behavior.

When the abuse by the nannies was discovered, they were let go, but obviously the damage was already done physically, psychologically and emotionally.

Speaking of good books on the royals, Victoria's Daughters, by Jerrold M. Packard is a good one. Also, Princes at War: The Bitter Battle Inside Britain's Royal Family in the Darkest Days of WW II, by Deborah Cadbury.

Oh, I see these two were already mentioned. They are both excellent and provide previously little known information.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 10-02-2017, 01:25 PM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
A SPIRIT UNDAUNTED, by Robert Rhodes James, is an excellent history of George VI's role during WWII. Bradford's book, the one you're just starting, is a very good one as well. George VI is perhaps my favourite of the 20th century British monarchs, although I have a lot of respect for George V as well.
Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 10-02-2017, 01:26 PM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
My book is so ancient it belongs in the ark! I bought it when it was first published. It is a thick book. Maybe Amazon or Abe or one of those sellers would have details about a later, shorter version. Then at least you'd know.
I found it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 10-02-2017, 01:27 PM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
I've read that the nannies more than just pinched David and Albert. They also deprived them of food and abused them physically, especially Albert. That's what led to Albert's stuttering, his shyness, and his health problems. And that's what led to David's neediness for a mother figure, and his self-centered behavior.

When the abuse by the nannies was discovered, they were let go, but obviously the damage was already done physically, psychologically and emotionally.

Speaking of good books on the royals, Victoria's Daughters, by Jerrold M. Packard is a good one. Also, Princes at War: The Bitter Battle Inside Britain's Royal Family in the Darkest Days of WW II, by Deborah Cadbury.

Oh, I see these two were already mentioned. They are both excellent and provide previously little known information.
Thank you. I am going to read those two books. Books that focus on relationships between the members of the BRF particularly fascinate me.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 10-02-2017, 01:31 PM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 627
I already mentioned that I finished Kenneth Rose's book on King George V, but I have a question. In the book it mentions that Queen Mary kept her hairstyle and clothing style the same to please King George. I just started reading "The Reluctant King" about King George VI and it says early on that Queen Mary's personality was suppressed by King George V. It also said that King George could be rude to her and that she left the dinner table one time because of it. I know that Queen Mary virtually deified whoever the Sovereign was and that was a large part of the reason she was super submissive, but I would love a few more details about their relationship. Is there a book that covers this in much more detail or does anyone know any details?

P.S. I wish there was a chat room on this forum so that we could get together and chat about these books--kind of like a book club. Wouldn't that be fabulous?
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 10-02-2017, 02:51 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,225
It would indeed!

I don't know of any book that goes into George and Mary's marriage specifically in huge detail. I guess the only way to get a rounded impression of it all is through the biographies on them both and on their children.

There is a rare book called 'The People's Princess', the life of the Duchess of Teck, Mary's mother, that I have always meant to buy and keep forgetting to That would have some great details on the Teck family life, I would think.

George adored May but he could be brusque and snappy with her on occasions, especially with regard to her interest in cultural activities and collecting objects de art. In this he was encouraged by his rather bitter sister Victoria, to whom he was very close. All May's sisters in law were inclined to make fun of her interests, which they certainly didn't share. For instance Victoria made snide remarks to her brother when they were all on a cruise around the Greek islands about supposing that May was going to look at 'mouldy ruins' again.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:45 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 4,419
King George V collected stamps.
http://www.justcollecting.com/postag...amp-collection
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 11-20-2017, 05:27 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: colchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I already mentioned that I finished Kenneth Rose's book on King George V, but I have a question. In the book it mentions that Queen Mary kept her hairstyle and clothing style the same to please King George. I just started reading "The Reluctant King" about King George VI and it says early on that Queen Mary's personality was suppressed by King George V. It also said that King George could be rude to her and that she left the dinner table one time because of it. I know that Queen Mary virtually deified whoever the Sovereign was and that was a large part of the reason she was super submissive, but I would love a few more details about their relationship. Is there a book that covers this in much more detail or does anyone know any details?

P.S. I wish there was a chat room on this forum so that we could get together and chat about these books--kind of like a book club. Wouldn't that be fabulous?

A chat room would, indeed, be good, Duchessrachel. QM famously only raised her hems on one occasion and was censured for it by King George, (who took exactly the same line with David's trouser creases -and all other hints of change) it may have been that he had fond memories of Mary (May) as a young woman? Her trademark frizzy fringes were courtesy of my friend's mother, who not only wove the items, but went to fit them. This causes me to wonder if the folically challenged Windsor men may have been thus cursed by (great)grandmothers from both sides of their family?
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 12-24-2017, 03:01 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 4,419
King George V received a visit from his cousin, Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 06-22-2018, 09:30 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 2,382
__________________
Acclamation Manuel II of Portugal: 6 May 1908
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 06-22-2018, 09:44 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 4,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post

Was the photo taken at the funeral of King Edward VII ?


The younger boy is Prince John, but who is the older one ?
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 06-22-2018, 09:47 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 2,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Was the photo taken at the funeral of King Edward VII ?


The younger boy is Prince John, but who is the older one ?
Yes it was taken at the funeral of King Edward VII. Because there were many European monarchs present.
__________________
Acclamation Manuel II of Portugal: 6 May 1908
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 06-22-2018, 10:13 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 4,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Yes it was taken at the funeral of King Edward VII. Because there were many European monarchs present.

It is sad to think that King Manuel II would be overthrown five months later, putting an end to one of the oldest kingdoms in Europe.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 06-22-2018, 10:17 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 4,419
King George V opened a new bridge at Newcastle-on-Tyne.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 06-22-2018, 10:21 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 2,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It is sad to think that King Manuel II would be overthrown five months later, putting an end to one of the oldest kingdoms in Europe.
It is true. It was a sadness.
__________________
Acclamation Manuel II of Portugal: 6 May 1908
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 06-22-2018, 10:24 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Was the photo taken at the funeral of King Edward VII ?


The younger boy is Prince John, but who is the older one ?
Prince George
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
biography, british history, george v, pictures, queen mary, royal navy, windsor, world war i


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures Of King Haakon VII, Queen Maud And Olav Elise,LadyofLancaster Norwegian Royal History 32 08-20-2018 11:25 AM
Calendar of Official Engagements for the Norwegian Royal Family: AUG 2005- DEC 2008 Larzen Current Events Archive 51 12-14-2008 06:04 AM
King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 1: November 2002-June 2004 Josefine Current Events Archive 300 06-12-2004 09:13 AM




Popular Tags
"chinese gordon" baltic republics bonaparte british royal family camilla charles china christian ix clothes current events dailyfail danish royal family daughter de belgique duchess of cornwall duchess of sussex duke of sussex duke of york earl of wessex emma fashion felipe and letizia general royal discussion gloucester harry and meghan her children interesting facts introduction jack brooksbank jacobite juan carlos king king felipe king felipe vi lady louise mountbatten-windsor meghan markle modernization monarchy northampton norwegian royal family osborn patronages plantagenets porphyria prince charles prince daniel prince harry prince harry of wales princess louise princess of belgium prince william public opinion queen letizia queen maxima royal royal ancestry royal ancestry; oscar and sophia royal family royal geneology royal wedding sarah ferguson soldier state visit sweden the crown titles uk styles visit from spain wedding wedding of prince harry windsor castle



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018
Jelsoft Enterprises