The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-30-2017, 09:58 PM
Nobility

Thanks Osipi, cepe, Curryong, and Ish. I will definitely check those out.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
How far back would you like to go? If you want to tackle Victoria and Albert you could do worse than to start with Elizabeth Longford's biography on Queen Victoria. It was written years ago but I'm sure there are copies in secondhand bookstores.

Curryong, I found a biography on thriftbooks by Longford on Queen Victoria, but one reviewer refers to there being a shorter and a longer version of the book. Do you know anything about that? I would definitely want to read the longer version. The reviewer said there were more details on characters.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:19 PM
Majesty

A SPIRIT UNDAUNTED, by Robert Rhodes James, is an excellent history of George VI's role during WWII. Bradford's book, the one you're just starting, is a very good one as well. George VI is perhaps my favourite of the 20th century British monarchs, although I have a lot of respect for George V as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I am about to read "The Reluctant King" about King George VI written by Sarah Bradford. I don't have any books waiting for me after I finish this one. I like to have at least one book waiting for me to read so can anyone recommend some more books on the British Royal family.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Curryong, I found a biography on thriftbooks by Longford on Queen Victoria, but one reviewer refers to there being a shorter and a longer version of the book. Do you know anything about that? I would definitely want to read the longer version. The reviewer said there were more details on characters.
My book is so ancient it belongs in the ark! I bought it when it was first published. It is a thick book. Maybe Amazon or Abe or one of those sellers would have details about a later, shorter version. Then at least you'd know.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:31 AM
Nobility

I've read that the nannies more than just pinched David and Albert. They also deprived them of food and abused them physically, especially Albert. That's what led to Albert's stuttering, his shyness, and his health problems. And that's what led to David's neediness for a mother figure, and his self-centered behavior.

When the abuse by the nannies was discovered, they were let go, but obviously the damage was already done physically, psychologically and emotionally.

Speaking of good books on the royals, Victoria's Daughters, by Jerrold M. Packard is a good one. Also, Princes at War: The Bitter Battle Inside Britain's Royal Family in the Darkest Days of WW II, by Deborah Cadbury.

Oh, I see these two were already mentioned. They are both excellent and provide previously little known information.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
A SPIRIT UNDAUNTED, by Robert Rhodes James, is an excellent history of George VI's role during WWII. Bradford's book, the one you're just starting, is a very good one as well. George VI is perhaps my favourite of the 20th century British monarchs, although I have a lot of respect for George V as well.
Thank you so much!!
Old 10-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
My book is so ancient it belongs in the ark! I bought it when it was first published. It is a thick book. Maybe Amazon or Abe or one of those sellers would have details about a later, shorter version. Then at least you'd know.
I found it. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
I've read that the nannies more than just pinched David and Albert. They also deprived them of food and abused them physically, especially Albert. That's what led to Albert's stuttering, his shyness, and his health problems. And that's what led to David's neediness for a mother figure, and his self-centered behavior.

When the abuse by the nannies was discovered, they were let go, but obviously the damage was already done physically, psychologically and emotionally.

Speaking of good books on the royals, Victoria's Daughters, by Jerrold M. Packard is a good one. Also, Princes at War: The Bitter Battle Inside Britain's Royal Family in the Darkest Days of WW II, by Deborah Cadbury.

Oh, I see these two were already mentioned. They are both excellent and provide previously little known information.
Thank you. I am going to read those two books. Books that focus on relationships between the members of the BRF particularly fascinate me.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:31 PM
Nobility

I already mentioned that I finished Kenneth Rose's book on King George V, but I have a question. In the book it mentions that Queen Mary kept her hairstyle and clothing style the same to please King George. I just started reading "The Reluctant King" about King George VI and it says early on that Queen Mary's personality was suppressed by King George V. It also said that King George could be rude to her and that she left the dinner table one time because of it. I know that Queen Mary virtually deified whoever the Sovereign was and that was a large part of the reason she was super submissive, but I would love a few more details about their relationship. Is there a book that covers this in much more detail or does anyone know any details?

P.S. I wish there was a chat room on this forum so that we could get together and chat about these books--kind of like a book club. Wouldn't that be fabulous?
Old 10-02-2017, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

It would indeed!

I don't know of any book that goes into George and Mary's marriage specifically in huge detail. I guess the only way to get a rounded impression of it all is through the biographies on them both and on their children.

There is a rare book called 'The People's Princess', the life of the Duchess of Teck, Mary's mother, that I have always meant to buy and keep forgetting to That would have some great details on the Teck family life, I would think.

George adored May but he could be brusque and snappy with her on occasions, especially with regard to her interest in cultural activities and collecting objects de art. In this he was encouraged by his rather bitter sister Victoria, to whom he was very close. All May's sisters in law were inclined to make fun of her interests, which they certainly didn't share. For instance Victoria made snide remarks to her brother when they were all on a cruise around the Greek islands about supposing that May was going to look at 'mouldy ruins' again.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

King George V collected stamps.
http://www.justcollecting.com/postag...amp-collection
Old 11-20-2017, 05:27 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I already mentioned that I finished Kenneth Rose's book on King George V, but I have a question. In the book it mentions that Queen Mary kept her hairstyle and clothing style the same to please King George. I just started reading "The Reluctant King" about King George VI and it says early on that Queen Mary's personality was suppressed by King George V. It also said that King George could be rude to her and that she left the dinner table one time because of it. I know that Queen Mary virtually deified whoever the Sovereign was and that was a large part of the reason she was super submissive, but I would love a few more details about their relationship. Is there a book that covers this in much more detail or does anyone know any details?

P.S. I wish there was a chat room on this forum so that we could get together and chat about these books--kind of like a book club. Wouldn't that be fabulous?

A chat room would, indeed, be good, Duchessrachel. QM famously only raised her hems on one occasion and was censured for it by King George, (who took exactly the same line with David's trouser creases -and all other hints of change) it may have been that he had fond memories of Mary (May) as a young woman? Her trademark frizzy fringes were courtesy of my friend's mother, who not only wove the items, but went to fit them. This causes me to wonder if the folically challenged Windsor men may have been thus cursed by (great)grandmothers from both sides of their family?

Tags
biography, british history, george v, pictures, queen mary, royal navy, windsor, world war i