The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-06-2005, 07:36 AM
Nobility

Does anyone have an English text of John Betjeman's elegy on the death of King George V? I have read a Russian translation of it.

Old 11-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Aristocracy

Bio

Can anyone recommend a good biography on King George V? I've always been interested in him, but have never found a good bio. Let me know!

Old 11-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsnyder
Can anyone recommend a good biography on King George V? I've always been interested in him, but have never found a good bio. Let me know!
King George V by Kenneth Rose (1983), a well-researched and very detailed book.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

That's the official biography, isn't it? If it's out of print, it's quite easy to get hold of second-hand over the internet; that's how I got my copy.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
That's the official biography, isn't it? If it's out of print, it's quite easy to get hold of second-hand over the internet; that's how I got my copy.
Harold Nicholson wrote the authorized bio, "King George The Fifth: His Life and Reign".l
Old 09-19-2006, 05:23 AM
Aristocracy

The Kenneth Rose book King George V is a good biography and as official as you can get, but it is sadly lacking in covering George's life before he became King in 1910.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

He was such an interesting man Ive read he was close to his cousin the Tsar (Who looked alot like him) was he Godfather to any of Nicholas Offspring also how were they alike and how were they different
Old 12-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Commoner

Queen Mary allowed George V to be euthanised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapple View Post
I mentioned earlier that King George V was poisoned by his doctor when the King was dying. Here is a link to an article in the BMJ that details the circumstances of the King's death.

A king, a doctor, and a convenient death -- Ramsay 308 (6941): 1445 -- BMJ

I am a doctor myself, and I find the actions of Lord Dawson abhorrent. The King was comatose, and the doctor did not relieve him of suffering--he merely ensured the time of death, making the life of King George V depending on the time of starting the printing presses.
It is reprehensible, but Queen Mary approved of it so he did it.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:27 AM
Gentry

lilibet80: I know of no documented evidence that Queen Mary approved of the euthanasia of her husband King George V by his doctor Lord Dawson. I do not think she was aware of this action nor do I think she would have sanctioned it. Lord Dawson indicated that he acted alone in this decision.

Would you please provide any information you have on this matter?

Thank you.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Moderator Emeritus

George V was a canny politician who was misunderstood - Telegraph

King George V has had a pretty poor press. The best that can be said for him, it seems, was that he enjoyed collecting stamps. He is remembered to have spent most of his time out shooting – quite an achievement, given the season lasts at its greatest stretch only just over five months. He is known to have been a martinet to his children and believed to have begun the dysfunctionality of his family. A caricature portrait of him in a television documentary a few years ago showed him behaving with casual disregard towards his youngest son, an epileptic who died at the age of 14 and whom the King, it is alleged, more or less had written out of history. He is also believed to have been boorishly thick. I have long felt, from having read a little history, that this portrait was inaccurate, and my documentary, Good King George, about the King on Radio 4 seeks to give a more balanced view of him.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I don't know very much about George V, but I have always had the impression that he was all considered a good king. Indeed he reigned in a very difficul period, but I never heard complaints about his reign.
And regarding his bad relationship with his sons, well, I think that he treated them in the same way he felt his own father had previously treated him; also Prince Albert (and Queen Victoria) had difficult relations with Edward VII, and Edward was definitely an inattentive husband and father in Victorian period, when children education was all but soft.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
I don't know very much about George V, but I have always had the impression that he was all considered a good king. Indeed he reigned in a very difficul period, but I never heard complaints about his reign.
And regarding his bad relationship with his sons, well, I think that he treated them in the same way he felt his own father had previously treated him; also Prince Albert (and Queen Victoria) had difficult relations with Edward VII, and Edward was definitely an inattentive husband and father in Victorian period, when children education was all but soft.

Edward VII was far closer to his son than George V was to his because Edward wasn't anywhere near as strict with his children as either his parents were with him or George was with his sons.

George V has a couple of conflicting comments on this issue.

1. He described his relationship with his father (after his father's death) thus: I have lost the best of fathers and my best friend.

2. He is also supposed to have said: My father was scared of his father, I was scared on mine and I am damned sure that my sons will be scared of me.

I do believe that the latter comment was said while his sons were young whereas the earlier comment was said when he was an adult.

He certainly had a great relationship with his father as an adult with some people saying there were more like brothers than father and son.

George V was a canny politician as seen by the fact that when all the other monarchies were falling he made the hard decisions and kept his throne and that includes the decision to not allow his beloved cousins Nicholas and Alexandra and their children refuge in Britain. He did, of course, later on ensure that another first cousin, Prince Andrew of Greece was able to escape from Greece with his wife and children, including his future grandson-in-law Prince Philip.

I think, at times George V is compared unfavourably to the glamour of his father's reign but isn't given the credit for being the inspiring King he was during WWI, just like his son was a war later. Britain wasn't bombed as heavily during the first war but London certainly was bombed and he also visited the troops regularly, had sons serving but also had the family concerns about his cousins and other relatives serving in other countries.

He has been a favourite of mine.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Serene Highness

Considering his family, I think it was very lucky that George became the great king he did. Compare George with cousin Nicholas II. Their mothers were notorious for being clingy with their children. Nicky, with a feared father and a smothering mother, never stood a chance to be a good czar (granted Russia and Britain had very different governments and George was a lot older when he took the throne). I think being the second son actually helped George because he managed to develop independence in the navy. Alexandra seem to do the same thing to Albert Victor as Dagmar did with Nicky, and from what history tells us, AV turned out to be quite a character and would not have made a good king.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

George was a good man and a good king. He was decent and in many ways thoughtful. He was a wonderful grandfather and was more indulgent to Elizabeth than he ever was to her father.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Administrator

I think the problem was that George V loved and feared his father who from what I read was not a strict parent. That was one of Queen Victoria's issues with Edward and Alexandra who she feared let the Wales kids run around wild.

George loved his kids but was unable to show it in way that they got. Apparently he showed it enough to Princess Mary but not the boys. But he was a great king...not bad for someone who wasn't expected to be King. He is one of my favorites too. Like Edward VII he knew to read people. Edward accurately called out Kaiser Willy and George called out Edward VIII.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Edward VII was far closer to his son than George V was to his because Edward wasn't anywhere near as strict with his children as either his parents were with him or George was with his sons.

George V has a couple of conflicting comments on this issue.

1. He described his relationship with his father (after his father's death) thus: I have lost the best of fathers and my best friend.

2. He is also supposed to have said: My father was scared of his father, I was scared on mine and I am damned sure that my sons will be scared of me.
I knew only the second "supposed" comment; but as I said before, I don't know much about thie King.
Thanks for your explanations.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Gentry

It has been said that the relationship between King George V and his father King Edward VII was close only because George was always in total agreement with his father on everything and never challenged him in any matter.

It seems very unlikely the son privately agreed with all his father`s behaviour particularly when that behaviour hurt his beloved mother to whom he was genuinely close.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Serene Highness

All the Wales children adored their mother, Queen Alexandra, and she returned their affection even though she often treated them like small children when they were adults.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Kenneth Rose comments in this article that, although the Queen and the Prince of Wales didn't want to see the King's life prolonged if he was suffering, they wouldn't have intended euthanasia.

After all, in this case, euthanasia would have been regicide--if not outright assassination. That's what I've had trouble understanding about this episode. Given the reverence that people had for the King, it's hard to imagine someone actually euthanizing him.

Star-News - Google News Archive Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
lilibet80: I know of no documented evidence that Queen Mary approved of the euthanasia of her husband King George V by his doctor Lord Dawson. I do not think she was aware of this action nor do I think she would have sanctioned it. Lord Dawson indicated that he acted alone in this decision.

Would you please provide any information you have on this matter?

Thank you.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:23 AM

Tags
biography, british history, george v, pictures, queen mary, royal navy, windsor, world war i