King Edward VII (1841-1910) and Queen Alexandra (1844-1925)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who is Harriet Lane?

James Buchanan was the 15th President of the United States. As he never married, his niece, the above mentioned Harriet Lane acted as his First Lady, serving as his hostess and working on special causes. When he served at the Court of St. James (before becoming President), she was given the rank of an ambassadors wife by Queen Victoria.

My dear Zonk,

Thank you for this post. So Harriet was not an official "First Lady" because she was not married to the President but she fulfilled the role as hostess of the White House.

Yes and no. She wasn't a wife but in the listing of US First Ladies, she is certainly included in Wikipedia and certain books. Along with a couple of other Presidents sisters and daughters.

You are quite welcome.

she was a very strong women 4 letting 1 of her husband mistresses 2 see him on his death bed
also did she give mary of teck a hard time
but maybe she felt it her duty because queen Victoria was always forcing her 2 do things

I wish I could go to London again this year to see all the Jubilee displays just as I did in 2002 but money means I can't go.

:previous:Same here. I had planned to go on a gap year this year with a Jubilee visit to London at the centre of the trip, but it didn't work out. I do wish they'd send some of the Royal Collection items on tour to Commonwealth Realms and then other countries so we could all enjoy its treasures.

Last edited:
:previous: That would be a great idea - let the people in the other realms see some of these treasures in their homelands.

We have some tremenous museums here which would be more than capable of hosting these treasures.

cepe - thanks for pointing this out! Bertie was only 21 at the time, The snaps are great. I'm going to make suse by biblical scholar friend sees them!

Last edited:
This was a tour that Albert planned for him and Victoria insisted that he go as it had been planned by her beloved Albert and everything Albert planned had to be fulfilled. It also meant that he avoided the absolute worst excesses of his mother's grief as he was sent away very soon after the funeral.

The headline is inaccurate as it implies that Bertie took the pictures when they were actually taken by the official photographer on the tour. The group was rather large.

It was a fun tour though in many ways for a young man, particularly when back at home was a woman in the depths of grief and given the belief that Victoria held that Bertie was responsible for Albert's death it would also give him some breathing space at that time.

I like the idea that the future Head of the Church of England had to go and get proof that Bethlehem etc actually existed. This is the DM at its dimmest!

This was a tour that Albert planned for him and Victoria insisted that he go as it had been planned by her beloved Albert and everything Albert planned had to be fulfilled. It also meant that he avoided the absolute worst excesses of his mother's grief as he was sent away very soon after the funeral.

The headline is inaccurate as it implies that Bertie took the pictures when they were actually taken by the official photographer on the tour. The group was rather large.

It was a fun tour though in many ways for a young man, particularly when back at home was a woman in the depths of grief and given the belief that Victoria held that Bertie was responsible for Albert's death it would also give him some breathing space at that time.

Iluvbertie - what book(s) would you recommend that cover this trip with any detail? Thanks!

I like the idea that the future Head of the Church of England had to go and get proof that Bethlehem etc actually existed. This is the DM at its dimmest!

Due to the limited nature of travel at the time and the limited media there were people who were questioning the existence of these places.

It was for this reason that the heir to the throne was sent, along with to further his own education and to get him out of his mother's way after Albert's death.

The idea was that if the heir to the throne was able to say that he had been there then the people who were questioning the Bible and its teachings would stop doing so as he was a believable person to say that places like Bethlehem etc were real - to the average British person in the street this was not something that they were able to do for themselves, unlike you and I today who can go there, if we so desire, and do see it on the media all the time.

Iluvbertie - what book(s) would you recommend that cover this trip with any detail? Thanks!

I haven't come across any book that deals with this trip in any detail - it tends to get overlooked in the desire to move to his marriage and the grief of the family around Albert's death - most books I have read about him at this time, or about any other members of the family, tend to spend maybe a page or so on it and concentrate on the reasons for the trip rather than the trip itself - sadly.

Does anyone know of any good books written about Queen Alexandra? Hard to find one of Amazon. Does she have an Official Biography?

Queen Alexandra by Georgina Battiscombe was written about 45 years ago but still seems to be regarded as the definitive biography. I highly recommend it.

Before her marriage to Count Luitpold of Castell-Castell, Princess Alexandrine-Louise of Denmark. the daughter of Prince Harald of Denmark, was mentioned as a possible bride for the Prince of Wales, Prince Edward, who would be Edward VIII. What other princesses were considered as his wife?

In 1898 King Edward VII had been introduced to the pleasures of motoring at Warwick Castle. He had made a brief excursion in a six-horse-power Daimler.
Alexandra encouraged her children to ride, skate, and bicycle.
King Edward VII liked pottering about in the gardens of his friends, pointing out with his walking stick arrangements and vistas that appealed to him. He commented on alterations that had been made since his last visit.

In addition to King George V, there were eight crowned sovereigns in the funeral procession of Edward VII.
At the first Privy Council meeting of his reign, Edward VII had impressed his audience by his ability to speak fluently and spontaneously without a prepared speech.
In The Royal Victorians, Christopher Hibbert wrote:

Edward was often 'distinctly peppery in his temper', speaking so sharply to those who asked him what he considered trivial questions that they dared not approach him a second time, sending the servants 'flying about in all directions'.

Last edited by a moderator:
The British photographer Francis Bacon was the first photographer to join a royal tour.

Print on cloth, Edward VII

Whilst rooting around the back of a junk shop I came across this interesting framed item (see attachments) - It seems to be a print 'in memorium' for Edward VII which I think is printed both sides and perhaps screen printed on some kind of cloth? Having spent a day Googling away I can find nothing else like it. Can anyone here offer some inspiration or added information please?

Chris D.

Attachments

• IMG_20140604_011408Red.jpg
    IMG_20140604_011408Red.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20140604_011310Red.jpg
    IMG_20140604_011310Red.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 261
In Kings & Queens of Great Britain, David Soud wrote:

His zest for life allowed Edward VII not only to embrace change but also to use the iconic status of royalty to transform standards of taste and decorum.

In 1863 when Princess Alexandra arrived in England at Gravesend, she was on route to marry Albert Edward, Prince of Wales.
She wore a white bonnet with pink roses. :rose: :rose::rose:
The bonnet was made at her home in Denmark with her sister, Princess Dagmar (Minnie, the future Empress Marie of Russia).

Last edited by a moderator:
ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1418398754.125521.jpg

I just came across this Recently. I din't know if anyone seen it before and apologize if been posted before:

Alexandra The Princess of Wales giving Prince George of Wales a Piggyback Ride

View attachment 292854

I just came across this Recently. I din't know if anyone seen it before and apologize if been posted before:

Alexandra The Princess of Wales giving Prince George of Wales a Piggyback Ride

Looks remarkably like this one of her sister Dagmar and son (in other words Tsarina Maria Feodorovna and the future Tsar Nicolas II)
293-tsarina-maria-feodorovna-of-russia-and-her-son-the-grand-duke-nicholas-alexandrovich-1870-pr-royal-portraits.jpg

Something of a fashion in royal photography! They both look very sweet!

When Edward was fifteen he and several companions went to Konigswinter near the Rhine on a study tour. While there, one evening after dinner Edward kissed a pretty girl and was ticked off by his mentors on the trip, General Grey and Henry Ponsonby. They didn't report back to Windsor about it, but young William Gladstone, who was a picked companion and the son of the Chancellor of the Exchequer, wrote back to his parents about it. His father referred to it as 'a squalid little debauch' and complained that the Prince of Wales hadn't been 'educated up to his position.'

It's a good job he didn't know about an earlier walking tour in the Lake District. Edward had persuaded his companions on that expedition to help him drive a flock of sheep into Lake Windemere!

When the 13-year-old Prince Bertie, later Edward VII, was taken to Paris for a family holiday in 1855 he had a high old time of it. Queen Victoria, Prince Albert, Bertie and his sister Princess Vicky were greeted at Boulogne-sur-Mer by Napoleon III himself while cheering crowds shouted: ‘Vive La Reine!’
For the next week, Bertie was adored and petted by the Empress Eugenie, consort of Napoleon III, taken on a hunt in the forest of St Germain and allowed to stay up for a ball at the Palace of Versailles where there were fireworks and dancing until 3am. On her return to England, Victoria observed the effect of the trip on Bertie.
‘The beauty of the French capital, the liveliness of the French people, the bonhomie of the French Emperor, the elegance of the French Empress made an indelible impression on his pleasure-hungry nature.’ Didn’t they just!

Prince Bertie romped his way through the bordellos of Paris | Daily Mail Online

Queen Alexandra's funeral, 1925

Does anyone have a list of close relations who attended the funeral? Specifically was Prince George, Duke of Kent, present (he had been serving the in the Royal Navy on the China Station).
Any help or advice much appreciated.

Edward VII 's funeral? He died in May 6 1910. Prince George was born Dec 20, 1902. So George was only 7 when his grandfather died. He didn't go to naval college until 13 so he wasn't in the navy as a 7 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Edward VII 's funeral? He died in May 6 1910. Prince George was born Dec 20, 1902. So George was only 7 when his grandfather died. He didn't go to naval college until 13 so he wasn't in the navy as a 7 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

From the caption of the post i think Q.Alexandra's funeral in 1925 was intended...

Back
Top Bottom