King Edward VII (1841-1910) and Queen Alexandra (1844-1925)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She really was a breath of fresh air after
the gloom and mourning for Prince Albert.
She took to the London social scene with perfect ease
and charmed everyone.
By age 26 she was the mother of 5 Royal children and perfectly at home in Sandringham... her favourite residence.
Interesting that her brother William was King of Greece and....after the assassination of Czar Alexander 2nd in March 1881 ... her sister Dagmar became Empress of Russia !

And of course her eldest brother eventually became the King of Denmark.

Her father rightly was regarded as the father-in-law of Europe but just like Queen Victoria was referred to as the grandmother of Europe then Christian IX was also the grandfather due to the marriages of his children and then the intermarriage of the grandchildren with the grandchildren etc of Queen Victoria.

Last edited by a moderator:
gogm said:
Prussia's War with Denmark
Although now a little known historical footnote, the consequences of the Danish War were incalcuable. It was the first step in the organizatin of a future Germany under the most miliataraistic and conservative state in the German Confederation. There were German states with more liberal, democratic institutions (Bavaria, Hanover, and others) and less belicose, militaristic outlooks. The Danish War was the first step in Prussia's absorbtion of some of the more liberal German states such as Hannover and Hesse and the end of their constitutional monarchies.
If there had been a more democratic, less miliatristic approch taken to German unification, the history of the 20th century may have been quite different.
The Danish War was also an important step in changing the British perception of Prussia and Germany from a potential ally against their historical enemy France to a dangerous enemy.
The fact that their popular Princess of Wales was Danish was an important factor in shaping British attitudes."
Perhaps this land grab by the Prussians was sowing the seeds of what was to become the first world war.
But then, Prussia has a long history of grabbing territory... didnt they grab Silesia from Austria in the Seven Years War ? Marie Antoinette's mum was not very pleased !

But back then Prussia and Fred the Great was a big ally of England facing up to the French.
Years later... at the Battle of Waterloo, many say that it was Blucher and the Prussians who saved our bacon and sent Napoleon to his final defeat.
In later years Prussia, under the devilish control of Bismark eventually swallowed up the other German states including Bavaria and brought about the unification of Germany under Prussian.. and Berlin control.

Historically it was Vienna and the Habsburgs who were a major power in Europe competing with the French for territory, now these Prussian upstarts were taking over...
Meanwhile the Austrian Empire was fading fast.

Bertie began to view Germany as a threat and looked to France as an ally... hence the entente cordial.

Europe began to polorize into two sides
Germany... Austria... Italy....The Triple Alliance
versus
Britain... France.... Russia.... The Triple Entente.

A young, teenage Serbian lit the fuse in 1914 and .. bingo... we had the First World War !

You have left out a couple of important things - the Franco-Prussian War which made sure that France would want revenge - a young George Clemenceau lived through that which is why he insisted on such a harsh treaty at Versailles resulting in WWII and of course the Russo-Japaneses War which saw Russia lose and be in a state where Nicholas II simply couldn't afford to be seen as weak again so when another incident happened in the Balkans he wasn't going to back down and viola WWI.

The causes of World War One are very complex and not just caused by one or two simply events.

She is my all time favourite Princess of Wales and Queen Consort as she was just so perfect and regal in a way that those before or since weren't or aren't.

She had a lot to put up with, husband's infidelities, deafness, foreign country etc, but did it wonderfully and without public complaint. If she complained at all it was within the privacy of her family and there alone.
I'm reading a bio. on Minnie and I was very surprised at how close she and Alexandra were. They helped her out a lot after Alexander III's death.

:previous:

They were very close. Didn't they spend their holidays alone with each other in Denmark in later years?

They were very close. Didn't they spend their holidays alone with each other in Denmark in later years?

They actually bought a home together in Denmark where they did spend a bit of time after they were both widowed.

They had shared a room as girls and remained close throughout their lives despite the distance between them that necessitated lengthy travel times to see each other, which is why Denmark was so convenient as it was closer to both.

hi.....

anyone who has a interest in queen alexandra, should read david duff's book......alexandra : pricness and queen (1980). it an excellant read... the best biography of queen alexandra that i have read !!

enjoy....:flowers:

I like the early portrait of her silverstar posted recently. She was stunning! Yes, Minnie and Alexandra were close, and their sons ( George V/ Nicholas II) looked like twins. Who do you think had the happier life? Minnie had the happier marriage but lived in a far more perilous/ difficult country and was ultimately uprooted by the revolution and had to live her last ten years in exile. Alexandra was deaf and had a husband who cheated on her with numerous mistresses, but she lived in a secure country, and had a more secure life in that sense.

A difficult but also good question IMO. They both had difficult lives, beeing Empress and Queen always means a difficult live to me, but I think one of the biggest tragedies is when you have to survive your children and sadly both of them shared this destiny as well. You may be right that Alexandra at least lived a more secure life in the sense that she lived in a more secure country. Well, I can't really come to a result in this question...

But thanks for your book recommendation, Johnnydep! :flowers:

Alexandra always had the love of the people of her adopted country and although Edward cheated on her he did respect her and insist that she be treated with total respect and, in his way, I do think that he loved her but she couldn't fill all of his needs.

I think Alexandra was happier overall as she had the secure country, the love of the people and the love of her family.

Minnie had the love of her family only as the people in Russia turned on her and her family and she had to flee her adopted country and wasn't all that well received by her brother in Denmark. He tolerated her more than welcomed her. Alexandra could always go back to Britain to a loving country whereas after 1917 Minnie didn't have that 'home' anymore.

I agree with these observations. Just from reading the bio of Queen Alexandra- can't recall the author's name now, likely David Duff's book, and then the biography of Marie F by Coryne Hall, I got the impression Marie was maybe happier. But, Marie lost more of her children in her lifetime than Alexandra who only lost 2, Eddy and also an infant son. Minnie lost George in 1899 and also a son in infancy, but more than that, Nicholas and Michael in the revolution.

Not Nicholas, but Nicholas, Alexandra, Olga, Tatiana, Maria, Anastasia and Alexis. And a lot of other Romanov relatives. This is worst.
Maria Fedorovna had to live ten years, the last ten years of her life, together with this tragedy, the murder of half her family.

Aw, yes. That must have been terrible for Dagmar. :sad:

She didn't want to accept it though. Up until her death, Maria Feodorovna didn't believed that Nicholas, Alexandra and their children were death. She preferred believing in myths that they had somehow survived and escaped.
That was one of the reasons she never met with Sokolov, who conducted the investigation into the fate of the Imperial Family and found out all the horrible details (including Yurovski's detailed report): she simply couldn't face the truth.

Exact, Marsel; and in my opinion this fact shows all the tragedy and the sorrow of her later life.

I will have to read a bio. on Alexandra to see. From what I am reading right now, Minnie had a terrific grasp of politics and the court. I can't help but think if Nicholas had deferred to her more things would have turned out differently. Of the two women, though, the big thing that shines through is that they both did their duty to their countries and did it exceedingly well.

i will have to read a bio. On alexandra to see. From what i am reading right now, minnie had a terrific grasp of politics and the court. I can't help but think if nicholas had deferred to her more things would have turned out differently. Of the two women, though, the big thing that shines through is that they both did their duty to their countries and did it exceedingly well.

agreed 100%!!!!

I actually think Queen Alexandra wore chokers to hide a tracheotomy scar from when she had scarlet fever as a child (which is also why she walked with a slight limp ever afterwards), and not as a result of attempting suicide. And yes, she was quite the beauty of her day, more so than I think her sister Dagmar (Marie of Russia) and Thyra. A very elegant royal lady.

The limp was during a very hard birth of Princess Louise. At least i have read that in several books

The limp was during a very hard birth of Princess Louise. At least i have read that in several books

It wasn't the difficulty of the birth but more the fact that she suffered from rheumatic fever during the pregnancy. It was the fever that caused the limp. She didn't have it before the fever.

What I admire the most about her and the women of that time is their clothing. Have you seen some of those corsets that they wore? How do you get such a tiny waist?!

Yeah, you have to wonder (even though at least two royal women of that era, Empress Elisabeth of Austria-Hungary and Queen Maud of Norway, may have suffered from anorexia). Fashion can be so painful.

Alexandra was naturally the thin type ( as was her sister Marie, Empress consort of Russia) and her daughters Maud, Toria, and Louise seem to have inheirited this build. Tight corseting was the in thing- you can see this also in a photo of Victoria Melita and her sisters ( Beatrice, Marie of Romania and Sandra) as young women too. They followed the fashion of the times.

Alexandra, and Bertie, were both among the fashion setters of the time rather than just followers.

That's very true. Alexandra has been called the Diana of her time.

Alexandra was naturally the thin type ( as was her sister Marie, Empress consort of Russia) and her daughters Maud, Toria, and Louise seem to have inheirited this build. Tight corseting was the in thing- you can see this also in a photo of Victoria Melita and her sisters ( Beatrice, Marie of Romania and Sandra) as young women too. They followed the fashion of the times.

Yes, I just can't get over how tight those things were. You must have started out with a larger waist and then through wearing it you were shaped in that way?? I guess it's like the modern day Spanx. lol. I just love looking at their dresses. They really were beautiful. This and the Renaissance era are the times I wish I could go back to.. just to wear the clothes if anything. :flowers:

I think they did get the waist slimmer through corseting over time. They were quite thin anyway. Alexandra and her family seemed to have that build that they remained youthful looking for a long time. But tight corseting got every one royal and non royal alike,- another royal example is Mary of Teck on her wedding day to George V. Her waist was tiny. They made it look effortless. I'm sure it didn't feel effortless though. But they wanted to be in style. It's like breast implants and plastic surgery today.

Yeah, Mary of Teck really had a thin waist too.

2ltoj87hz2.jpg

I'm glad I wasn't a royal back then, because I would never have been able to pull that off.

Yes, I just can't get over how tight those things were. You must have started out with a larger waist and then through wearing it you were shaped in that way?? I guess it's like the modern day Spanx. lol. I just love looking at their dresses. They really were beautiful. This and the Renaissance era are the times I wish I could go back to.. just to wear the clothes if anything. :flowers:

Many women at that time had their lower ribs removed so they could tighten the corsetts like that.
It cant be healthy at all.

Back
Top Bottom