The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Nobility

I also cannot quite see the 'bug-eyed' camp's observation.
To me Alexandra is truly beautiful.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:15 AM
Courtier

I´m for one looking for the painting of Queen Alexandra being anointed at the 1902 - coronation, peeresses holding a canopy over her!
It´s so beautiful it takes almost your breath away.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:36 AM
Aristocracy

This is not the one you want but it's still a lovely painting, I think.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7
I´m for one looking for the painting of Queen Alexandra being anointed at the 1902 - coronation, peeresses holding a canopy over her!
It´s so beautiful it takes almost your breath away.
I know which one you're talking about. I can't find the image, but I'm pretty sure can be seen in Geoffrey Munn's Tiaras: A History of Splendour.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Try here
- http://worldroots.com/brigitte/royal...enmark1844.htm
- http://pro.corbis.com/search/searchFrame.aspx
- http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...%7c0&p=4&tag=6
Old 11-04-2006, 05:44 AM
Commoner

Question A question re; King Edward VII

On another forum (religious discussion) which I frequent, we were discussing the "no Roman Catholics" part of the UK succesion laws. Some asterted that King Edward VII had converted to Roman Catholicism on his deathbed. The only reference he could cite was a book titled London is a Place, by Leonard Feeney. Supposedly he was received into the RC church by a Fr.Bernard Vaughan.

Anyone else ever heard this? I find it hard to believe.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landgrave
Anyone else ever heard this?
In answer to your question, Landgrave

No.

Quote:
I find it hard to believe
You and me both

A Protestant King & Head of the Church of England converting Catholicism? I have strong reservations regarding the authenticity of that claim, but again this is the first I have heard of it.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:52 AM
Majesty

I have always had a fascination with Edward VII and have read just about everything ever written about him and I have never heard this.

He was raised, confirmed and married as an Anglican, he took his coronation oath as an Anglican etc. I have never read anything that ever suggested that he had an inclination towards RC.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Aristocracy

I've never heard it either. I don't think his religious faith was strong enough for him to consider anything of this nature, though he did once say "I don't care what faith a man is, but I distrust him who has none".
Old 11-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
He was raised, confirmed and married as an Anglican, he took his coronation oath as an Anglican etc.
Actually, Alexandra was a princess of Denmark with Danish-German parents, so she would have been Lutheran, not Anglican. Just me being picky.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
Actually, Alexandra was a princess of Denmark with Danish-German parents, so she would have been Lutheran, not Anglican. Just me being picky.
Yes she was brought up in the Lutheran faith; however, Alexandra married Edward in England in, I believe, an Anglican (not Lutheran) ceremony.

That may be what chrissy meant by the fact that Edward married as an Anglican.

[edited to add: yes, they were married at St. George's Chapel in Windsor Castle so I'm almost positive that ceremony was Anglican. Here is a website with a couple of pictures from the wedding. The first looks like an engraving from the ceremony; the second is a picture of the couple shortly after the ceremony with Queen Victoria and the bust of the dead Prince Albert.]
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 11-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Majesty

Edward VII was always an Anglican.

Even though his wife was a Lutheran, as was his father, his marriage followed the Anglican tradition as would be expected of the future Head of the COE. He was married at St George's Chapel, which is an Anglican church.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:53 AM
Serene Highness

Oh... Well, I see now, that Chrissy must have meant the ceremony was Anglican. My bad.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Aristocracy

When she was younger her eyes didn't look so bulging. I think it comes with old age. Plus her limp or bad leg, didn't she have that because of child labour gone wrong?
Old 11-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Aristocracy

Alexandra suffered a serious bout of rheumatic fever in 1867 whilst pregnant with her third child, Louise. She had a permanently stiff knee after that but was still very physically active and fit. She had no notable difficulties with her six confinements though her youngest child, Alexander John, lived only a few hours, sadly.

Could one of the posters claiming Alexandra had "bug eyes" please post such a photo as I have never seen one, and I've seen a lot of photos of Alix. Thank you.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Aristocracy

Good Lord if anyone had "bug eyes" it was Edward VII, the Hanoverian bulge it has been called. But I have never seen any photo where Alexandra looks to have bulging eyes.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Commoner

Love the photographs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
The book "Developing the picture: Queen Alexandra and the art of photography" has some nice pictures. Here are a few that I don't think have been posted yet.

1. June 1864 (Photo: Robert Bingham)
2. Circa 1859 (Photo: Georg E. Hansen)
3. June 3 1961 (Unknown photographer)
4. July 1862 (Photo: Georg E. Hansen)
5. Sept. 1862 Engagement portrait (Photo: Ghemar Freres)
6. Nov. 1862 Windsor Castle (Photo: J.J.E. Mayall)

I am so please to see so many photographs of Alexandra that I have never seen before. Does anyone else see a resemblance to Uma Thurman or Princess Diana?
Old 01-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra RI
I am so please to see so many photographs of Alexandra that I have never seen before. Does anyone else see a resemblance to Uma Thurman or Princess Diana?

In the fourth and fifth pictures, the resemblance to Diana is uncanny. I see a bit of Uma Thurman too, but I see Diana more.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-08-2007, 03:18 AM

How can Alexandra look like Diana when they aren't related? I don't see the resemblance at all. I do, however, find the resemblance to her sisters Dagmar and Thyra extremely uncanny.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Aristocracy

The diversity of opinions on looks here is amazing!

Yes, I see a resemblance between the young Alexandra (especially that little smile) and the young Diana. People don't have to be related to look similar, especially in expression. I also occasionally see a resemblance between the young Bertie and Prince Charles as well who, of course, are blood relatives.

A similarity between Alix and her two sisters - I see none whatsoever to Thyra and only to Minny (Dagmar) a very little when she was very young!

Tags
biography, british history, edward vii, hesse-cassel, pictures, prince of wales, princess of wales, queen alexandra, queen consort, queen victoria, queen victoria's children, saxe-coburg-gotha