The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-31-2017, 01:58 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Another episode in the saga of "royals behaving badly" that I'd not heard of before. I had read that Edward VII was hardly "mama's angel" and there were quite a few disreputable fine messes that he got into and this just adds to it.

I guess no matter who you are or where you come from, position and prestige doesn't excuse bad behavior by a long shot.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Defamation/libel are still big issues today. What lead to the accusation of cheating will always be a bit unclear given the way the events unfolded but it wasn't so much the gambling or playing cards that was the issue but the accusations of cheating that lead to the court case and brought it into the public domain.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I guess no matter who you are or where you come from, position and prestige doesn't excuse bad behavior by a long shot.
Yes, but Bertie had to learn that the hard way. Even if most people today haven't Heard about this particular scandal, his reputation was almost ruined by it at the time.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

His reputation wasn't ruined. It didn't do him any good, certainly.. he got involved in a lot of silly behaviour that led to scandals, but his positon DID save him from "ruination". I think a lot of people felt that he did get into stupid situatons because he hadn't enough to do, and the queen kept him out of serious business.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Oh good lord. Edward slept around because he wanted to. Most men would like to, and he had the opportunity to have loads of women. His wealth and social position and lack of a serious job meant that he had plenty of time and energy and money to spend on pursuit of pleasure.
I don't think it had antying to do with "anger against women"...or that his women were "masculine looking".
He and Alix were fond of each other, but they had married very young and had done so because they were both royal and had to get married.. As a newspaper said at the time there were only about 7 women at that juncture that Ed could marry, so he was lucky that he got one who was nice and charming and very lovely and who appealed to him.. They didn't have much in common esp as Alix got deaf and retired to her home life and over devoted herself to her children. But he loved her.. even if she bored him..
He was fooling around well before she got deaf.. -
I think that she was rather possessive, because that was her nature, she clung to the children.. and she was rather resentful at times of the fact that Edward wanted more amusmetn than she could give him and that he was so VERY unfaithful..
So they had rows and bad times like the best of couples do, and since she could not (and wouldn't want to.. as I don't think she was that sexy) have an affair herself, she hit back, by being rather tiresome (which only drove Edward to spend more time away) and then she would take off for Denmark, to spent more time with her own family (who also bored Edward).. I think that this was a bit of a punishment because it sometimes caused gossip in the papers and he might get a ticking off from his mother for upsetting his wife.
Their marriage was far from perfect, but it was problaby better than a lot of marriages...

Edward's and Alexandra's marriage seems pretty typical of other arranged royal marriages at the time. Nothing really odd in context.

I am far more interested in Edward VII's (controversial) role in foreign policy than in his private sex life. His francophilia and anti-German sentiments (shared BTW by Alexandra for obvious reasons) , in a time when monarchs still had far more influence on government policy, were a relevant factor in the run-up to WWI, which is quite ironic really considering that both Edward and Alexandra were of German ancestry.

Compared to Edward VII, George V , who reigned during the war, distanced himself from politics and was far more subservient to his ministers.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

It was a different time, by the time George V came to the throne. THe last little bit of "royal influence" had gone.. and in any case George dlsiked foreigers and wasn't someone who enjoyed travelling and mixing with people from differnet places, as his father did. So he wasn't likely to have opinions in the field of foreign affairs. (hmm! rather Freudian there).
And I agree, Edwards marriage and his sex life were similar to most royal men or upper class men at the time.. He married Alix because it was his duty to marry and he was fond of her.. but he didn't feel obliged to be faithful.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Edward VII's Francophilia, if not his anti-Germanic feelings, began very early however and were personal. As a young boy he had fallen for the Empress Eugenie and Napoleaon III who were very nice to him when he and his sister Vicky had accompanied their parents on a State visit to France. He hadn't wanted to leave, and that was the beginning of his life-long love affair with Paris and with the French.

Conversely, Edward very much disliked his nephew, the bumptious and vainglorious Kaiser Wilhelm, mostly for the way that individual had treated his mother, Edward's sister, as well as the fact that Willie lost no opportunity to emphasise that he had become an Emperor at the time his uncle was still only Prince of Wales.

He was not alone in his dislike of Wilhelm. Many of his relatives couldn't stand him, including Alix. There was also mistrust of the Germans wanting their 'place in the sun' that Wilhelm was forever trumpeting. So, in Edward's case, personal bias was intertwined with his views on other countries.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:00 AM
Commoner

How did Queen Alexandra and the Princess of Wales get along? A lot of fighting over jewels and sharing the spotlight?
Old 06-08-2017, 05:57 PM
Courtier

I'm sure QM saw her for the overbearing mother that she was.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Alexandra could never quite let any of her adult children go. She and her household from the big house at Sandringham visited York Cottage in the grounds quite a lot during George and Mary's honeymoon. She said to Mary (in a kindly way I'm sure) 'Of course you must call me Motherdear, and come to me for everything', but 'of course' Mary didn't! George once answered a letter of his wife's talking about his mother and father with 'Mother is the most selfish person I know'. Which, considering how he adored her was quite a statement!

Mary's relationship with at least one of George's sisters, the bitchy and anti-intellectual Victoria, who would make fun of her cultural interests, was also quite strained. However, Mary did make allowances for her mother in law's deafness and loneliness, praised her good qualities, and there was never any open split or quarrel between the two of them.

Mary knew Alexandra and Edward spoiled their grandchildren to death and were overindulgent, especially Alexandra, but she and George still left them with them at Sandringham for quite a long time when they went on tour abroad.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
How did Queen Alexandra and the Princess of Wales get along? A lot of fighting over jewels and sharing the spotlight?
Not at all, as far as I know. fighting over jewels and sharing the spotilight?? Its not Dallas.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Queen Alexandra could never quite let any of her adult children go. She and her household from the big house at Sandringham visited York Cottage in the grounds quite a lot during George and Mary's honeymoon. She said to Mary (in a kindly way I'm sure) 'Of course you must call me Motherdear, and come to me for everything', but 'of course' Mary didn't! George once answered a letter of his wife's talking about his mother and father with 'Mother is the most selfish person I know'. Which, considering how he adored her was quite a statement!

abroad.
Alix was a possessive person, esp as a mother. however, she was essentially a likable woman.. even if selfish in a childish way. And I think her children loved her, even when she was exasperating. Victoria had the most reason to be cross with her because she kept her a companion and would not let her marry. However at the time the idea of a "spinster daughter looking after Mother" was pretty common and was nto regarded as quite as selfish as it mihgt seem nowadays.
I agree that Q Mary did not always get on perfectly with her in laws, who does, but that she got on with them quite well and there were no "big rows" or cat fighting. She was royal and knew the etiquette and knew how to treat her mother in law, the Queen with suitable respect.

Tags
biography, british history, edward vii, hesse-cassel, pictures, prince of wales, princess of wales, queen alexandra, queen consort, queen victoria, queen victoria's children, saxe-coburg-gotha