The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-17-2016, 05:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Lily Langtry didn't have her child with her husband. She too was a lover of Edward's but the child was possible Prince Louis of Battenburg's making her the half-aunt of Philip's. Lord Louis certainly believed she was his half-sister.

The affair started in 1898 or 1899 and Sonia was born in 1900 so definitely possible.
As I recall Lily didn't have any children for some years and when she got Pregnant by Louis of Battenberg she concealed the pregnancy, because she was known to be separated from her husband.
So she didn't have a husband to be an official father to her child as was "the rule".
Possibly she wasn't interested in children and took precautions and since Edward Langtry was a failure and not around as a husband, she and he weren't considered as a couple and she did not feel any obligation to produce children fror him.
Or possibly she wasn't very fertile and hadn't considered that she could have children and the was surprised to find herself pregnant.
Alice however was as far as I know on good terms with her husband and I'd say it is likely that she had her 2 children and then stopped.. and problably her physical relationship with George stopped because she was involved with Bertie and possibly other men.
Its possible that Sonia Keppel was Bertie's child but I'd say more likely that she was her legal father's..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Alice Keppel was one of the nicest people. She was kind hearted and sweet.

A
There are photographs of Alice at Sandringham with the BRF including Alexandra. One is from 1899, when Alice was pregnant with Sonia.
She may have been a very nice person, that does not mean she didn't take lovers....

Old 11-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Commoner

I've seemed to have read a story on here or somewhere else about Edward and his brother getting into a spat about one of them shooting the others birds on an estate. Does anybody else know this story?

Old 11-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

No, never read that. That's not to say it didn't happen. Edward's relationships with his siblings in later life often weren't very close, though naturally they loved each other. When young he was very close to Vicky, Alice and Affie, but seems to have regarded Alfred as a bit of a bore in later years, (as did others) and of course Alice died prematurely.

Like many others with much younger siblings he was married and out of the parental home by the time the youngest were growing up. When he was King Louise was often invited to Sandringham when Helena (Lenchen) and Beatrice werent, allegedly because he enjoyed her acerbic wit. He supposedly hardly ever saw Beatrice in later life.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:53 PM
Commoner

It's a a shame I can't figure out where I read it.

Another of my favourite stories is when Bertie helped a fire in the nursery and began to help out when he could on other fires in the area. Apparently it wasn't uncommon for him to leave the table during dinner. Victoria was not impressed
Old 11-04-2016, 05:30 PM
Nobility

I also read that they Bertie and Affie grew apart as they got older. What I find interesting is that Bertie's heir George, while he was close to his father, seemed to have a lot more in common with his Uncle Affie - it was through Affie that George started stamp collecting. Although, while I find it interesting, it is not hard to see why George ended up so much like Affie considering that both George and Affie were second sons and were set on similar paths, they also served in the same naval ports but I am trying to recall if George served under his uncle.

I assume that the distance between Bertie and Helena came about because Helena married a man who was on a different side than Bertie's wife, Alexandra and her family regarding the Schleswig- Holstein question.

Beatrice was much younger than Bertie so that can explain why they were not close but also there were differences between them like over the disposition of Osborne House. Plus it seems to me that Bertie tended to have tensions with people who were close to Victoria.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAlice View Post
It's a a shame I can't figure out where I read it.

Another of my favourite stories is when Bertie helped a fire in the nursery and began to help out when he could on other fires in the area. Apparently it wasn't uncommon for him to leave the table during dinner. Victoria was not impressed
Yes, Bertie was a great friend of Captain Shaw, the Chief of the London Fire Brigade. Shaw was a very well known figure in London Society. I think he's referred to in a song in one of the Gilbert and Sullivan operettas. He was involved in a scandalous divorce case at one stage.

Bertie probably liked the excitement and drama of huge fires. He supposedly rode on one of the horse-drawn Fire engines with Shaw and his men sometimes, wearing one of the brass helmets of the day!
Old 11-27-2016, 03:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Alice Keppel medals: War-time nurse and mistress of King Edward VII | UK | News | Daily Express

Tags
biography, british history, edward vii, hesse-cassel, pictures, prince of wales, princess of wales, queen alexandra, queen consort, queen victoria, queen victoria's children, saxe-coburg-gotha