The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Royal Highness

One hundred and four years ago today, King Edward VII died at Buckingham Palace, aged 68 years, 5 months, and 24 days.

The funeral on May 20, 1910.
http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/windsor/w...IIfuneral.html

Old 06-04-2014, 09:39 AM

Print on cloth, Edward VII

Whilst rooting around the back of a junk shop I came across this interesting framed item (see attachments) - It seems to be a print 'in memorium' for Edward VII which I think is printed both sides and perhaps screen printed on some kind of cloth? Having spent a day Googling away I can find nothing else like it. Can anyone here offer some inspiration or added information please?

Chris D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140604_011408Red.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	291610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140604_011310Red.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	291611  

Old 10-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

In Kings & Queens of Great Britain, David Soud wrote:

His zest for life allowed Edward VII not only to embrace change but also to use the iconic status of royalty to transform standards of taste and decorum.
In 1863 when Princess Alexandra arrived in England at Gravesend, she was on route to marry Albert Edward, Prince of Wales.
She wore a white bonnet with pink roses.
The bonnet was made at her home in Denmark with her sister, Princess Dagmar (Minnie, the future Empress Marie of Russia).

Old 12-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Courtier

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1418398754.125521.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	292854

I just came across this Recently. I din't know if anyone seen it before and apologize if been posted before:

Alexandra The Princess of Wales giving Prince George of Wales a Piggyback Ride
Old 12-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Attachment 292854

I just came across this Recently. I din't know if anyone seen it before and apologize if been posted before:

Alexandra The Princess of Wales giving Prince George of Wales a Piggyback Ride
Looks remarkably like this one of her sister Dagmar and son (in other words Tsarina Maria Feodorovna and the future Tsar Nicolas II)
Old 12-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Something of a fashion in royal photography! They both look very sweet!

When Edward was fifteen he and several companions went to Konigswinter near the Rhine on a study tour. While there, one evening after dinner Edward kissed a pretty girl and was ticked off by his mentors on the trip, General Grey and Henry Ponsonby. They didn't report back to Windsor about it, but young William Gladstone, who was a picked companion and the son of the Chancellor of the Exchequer, wrote back to his parents about it. His father referred to it as 'a squalid little debauch' and complained that the Prince of Wales hadn't been 'educated up to his position.'

It's a good job he didn't know about an earlier walking tour in the Lake District. Edward had persuaded his companions on that expedition to help him drive a flock of sheep into Lake Windemere!
Old 10-09-2015, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
When the 13-year-old Prince Bertie, later Edward VII, was taken to Paris for a family holiday in 1855 he had a high old time of it. Queen Victoria, Prince Albert, Bertie and his sister Princess Vicky were greeted at Boulogne-sur-Mer by Napoleon III himself while cheering crowds shouted: ‘Vive La Reine!’
For the next week, Bertie was adored and petted by the Empress Eugenie, consort of Napoleon III, taken on a hunt in the forest of St Germain and allowed to stay up for a ball at the Palace of Versailles where there were fireworks and dancing until 3am. On her return to England, Victoria observed the effect of the trip on Bertie.
‘The beauty of the French capital, the liveliness of the French people, the bonhomie of the French Emperor, the elegance of the French Empress made an indelible impression on his pleasure-hungry nature.’ Didn’t they just!
Prince Bertie romped his way through the bordellos of Paris | Daily Mail Online

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-22-2015, 04:00 PM

Queen Alexandra's funeral, 1925

Does anyone have a list of close relations who attended the funeral? Specifically was Prince George, Duke of Kent, present (he had been serving the in the Royal Navy on the China Station).
Any help or advice much appreciated.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Edward VII 's funeral? He died in May 6 1910. Prince George was born Dec 20, 1902. So George was only 7 when his grandfather died. He didn't go to naval college until 13 so he wasn't in the navy as a 7 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-22-2015, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Edward VII 's funeral? He died in May 6 1910. Prince George was born Dec 20, 1902. So George was only 7 when his grandfather died. He didn't go to naval college until 13 so he wasn't in the navy as a 7 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
From the caption of the post i think Q.Alexandra's funeral in 1925 was intended...
Old 01-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Edward VII and Alexandra were even on a postcard!
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/394346511101870657
Old 01-19-2016, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent

They were probably on lots of postcards. Queen Alexandra in particular was much-loved by the British public from the start. I knew someone years ago who collected Royal memorabilia and she had a transfer print dish commemorating Edward and Alexandra's wedding in 1863.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:14 AM
Royal Highness

what baloney
Old 09-10-2016, 05:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

What in the story is baloney?

Edward may have been Sonia's father. We don't know. He may not even have ever known.

Most of that story is well-known factual stuff although there are some exaggerations.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:01 AM
Royal Highness

I think it is very unlikely that Alice's children were conceived by other lovers. She only had 2 as far a I know, and generally a woman waited till she had had a few children, and sons, before having affairs that might result in more children.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:01 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think it's all baloney. It was known that the Keppels were hard up, and when the King died Alice cried out "Oh, whatever shall I do!" I don't think that was entirely because she was going to miss Bertie, though she undoubtedly did. She probably received discreet little 'gifts' from kind friends for years, though exactly how this maid knew all about it is problematical. Gossip among the servants perhaps.

It was said that Jack, Winston Churchill's younger brother, was fathered by another man, though it's true that Lord Randolph had a nasty bout of syphilis that ultimately killed him, so maybe Lord R. looked the other way where Jenny was concerned. As Alice's husband George, may have done, though I do think he was probably Sonia's father. (It became known that Alice was mistress to the POW in 1898. Sonia was born in 1900.)
Old 09-10-2016, 06:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't think it's all baloney. It was known that the Keppels were hard up, and when the King died Alice cried out "Oh, whatever shall I do!" I don't think that was entirely because she was going to miss Bertie, though she undoubtedly did. She probably received discreet little 'gifts' from kind friends for years, though exactly how this maid knew all about it is problematical. Gossip among the servants perhaps.

It was said that Jack, Winston Churchill's younger brother, was fathered by another man, though it's true that Lord Randolph had a nasty bout of syphilis that ultimately killed him, so maybe Lord R. looked the other way where Jenny was concerned. As Alice's husband may have done, though I do think he was probably Sonia's father.
It was not uncommon for upper class ladies to use their sexual and social charms to help either themselves or their husbands. Yes I am sure Alice did receive gifts from male admirers and from the King and as she was his recognised mistress he problaby helped her out financially if needed. But she wasn't "having sex with other men for money". She might have gone to bed with some of them, or might not, just flirted or amused them with her company.
And servants' gossip?? I mean, how accurate is that likley to be?

Clemmie Churchil's friends told her she was very selfish in refusing to take a lover when she was a young woman, because if she took up with an influential man, it could help Winston in his political career..
As for Jenny Churchill, she had lovers certainly but IMO one can't say with any certainty who fathered her sons. Winston was certainly a Chrurchill and was born only 7 months after the wedding so he was either premature or was perhaps conceived before marriage (it did happen occasionally with upper class brides). There were rumours about her second son, and I suppose they might be true, but its far from certain.
She certainly would not produce a cuckoo in the nest with her first child, a second son maybe, esp as Randolph was only a second son and not likely to become Duke..
Old 09-10-2016, 06:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
what baloney
Why so?

There is no disagreement that they were lovers, so quite possible, if not actual.

So, logistics wise could it be possible? When did the affair start and when was Sonia born?
Old 09-10-2016, 06:26 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think it is very unlikely that Alice's children were conceived by other lovers. She only had 2 as far a I know, and generally a woman waited till she had had a few children, and sons, before having affairs that might result in more children.
As you stated "generally" a woman waited until she had children by her husband to have affairs, that does not mean that all women did. There was another incident involving Edward VII having an affair with a married woman and when she had a child who was ill, she admitted to having affairs with numerous other men including the then Prince of Wales.

Tags
biography, british history, edward vii, hesse-cassel, pictures, prince of wales, princess of wales, queen alexandra, queen consort, queen victoria, queen victoria's children, saxe-coburg-gotha