The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Majesty

She died in 1898 so she saw Dagmar crowned as Empress of Russia, and her grandson as Tsar as well as seeing her second son become King of the Hellenes but she died before her eldest son became King of Denmark or Alexandra was crowned Queen/Empress in 1902.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quite amazing.... she must have loved getting letters and reports of
Alexandra's exciting life in London... to say nothing of all the magazines !

Old 10-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Commoner

Alix and Sissi

Out of Alexandra and Elizabeth of Austria, I wonder who was considered the greater beauty?
Old 10-29-2010, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I was a very hard match; and if I remember correctly, also Empress Eugenia of the French was considered one of the beautiest Sovereigns at the time, despite she was much older than Elisabeth and Alexandra.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Serene Highness

I think when considering classic beauty, Elizabeth might have had the edge but when it came to charm, I believe Alexandra was peerless.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Aristocracy

How could anyone compete with that wonderful mane of
auburn hair ? Her expression often seems a little serious but she was a thoroughbred beauty all the same.
The fact that she was a brilliant horsewoman too... gives her a special appeal.
I feel in a way she was a bit like Madonna... constantly exercising and working out to keep herself slim and attractive... although Elizabeths workouts were endless days of hunting or long, strenuous walks in the countryside.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Commoner

I've been judging old photos and pictures of the two beauties in question, I find Alexandra the greater beauty, as Sissi seems to have a hardness about her face/expression.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:49 AM
Serene Highness

I would say it's a tie between them.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Serene Highness

I agree Furienna, both were exceptionally attractive women.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Aristocracy

Those two Danish sisters ... Alexandra and Dagmar.... were ruling the world back in the 19th cent...
esp the fashion world... their svelt images filling the newspapers... the womens magazines etc...
Alexandra was a superstar in England in a Lady Diana kind of way..... but nowadays , we are hardly aware of the Danish Royal ladies.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
Those two Danish sisters ... Alexandra and Dagmar.... were ruling the world back in the 19th cent...
esp the fashion world... their svelt images filling the newspapers... the womens magazines etc...
Alexandra was a superstar in England in a Lady Diana kind of way..... but nowadays , we are hardly aware of the Danish Royal ladies.
But it wasn't as Danes that they made their mark but as the wives of the heirs to Britain and Russia. Denmark then as now was a minor player on the European stage.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar View Post

And I am sure there enough people at TRF that follow the Danish Royal Family that would beg to differ. The Danish forum is one of the most popular forums at TRF, not as big and popular as the BRF but popular nonetheless. And there are other sites dedicated to the Danes, the Dutch, the Brits, etc.

I wonder if Alexandra ever felt any guilt about holding back Victoria from finding love and having her own home. I realize that "keeping" an unmarried daughter was the norm, but still. I wonder why she didn't do a Victoria or Edward didn' speak up. Thank goodness Victoria did a compromise for Beatrice. Her heirs wouldn't sit on the throne of Spain today.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
And I am sure there enough people at TRF that follow the Danish Royal Family that would beg to differ. The Danish forum is one of the most popular forums at TRF, not as big and popular as the BRF but popular nonetheless. And there are other sites dedicated to the Danes, the Dutch, the Brits, etc.

I wonder if Alexandra ever felt any guilt about holding back Victoria from finding love and having her own home. I realize that "keeping" an unmarried daughter was the norm, but still. I wonder why she didn't do a Victoria or Edward didn' speak up. Thank goodness Victoria did a compromise for Beatrice. Her heirs wouldn't sit on the throne of Spain today.

Because of Edward's affairs he really allowed Alexandra her way with the family.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Aristocracy

Ive only seen one pic of the sisters together... they used to love
to dress identically apparantly ( a habit from childhood )... they must have been seen out and about
together in London once or twice too!

Alexandra and her sister... Dagmar.... (left ) who of course married Tsar Alexandre 111
Even as adults... the two sisters used to like dressing identically.....
On an extended visit to England Alexandra and her sister often appeared like identical twins.

(Must be Dagmar on the left......)
Old 11-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I, too, have often wondered about this but I am assuming, without reading it anywhere, that Toria wished to be married but Alexandra put her foot down and refused to allow it. Is this what happened? I would like to be directed to evidence showing this to be the case. Because I know people who, due to their own innate shyness or for other reasons, never married and remained companions to their parents long after the siblings married and had children.

What was the real story with Toria? Did Alexandra keep Toria from socializing with people her own age?
Old 11-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lillie Langtry and Edward VII

What did it happen to a child of Lilley and the king(I've read it was a daughter).Do they have descendants?
Old 11-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Edward VII was not the father of Lillie Langtry's daughter. The father was/is Prince Louis of Battenberg.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Edward VII was not the father of Lillie Langtry's daughter. The father was/is Prince Louis of Battenberg.
Thank you and what did it happen to her?
Old 11-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Administrator

On March 8, 1881, she gave birth to a daughter, Jeanne Marie.The discovery of Lillie's passionate letters to Arthur Jones in 1878 and their publication by Laura Beatty in 1999 support the idea that Jones was the father. Prince Louis's son, Earl Mountbatten of Burma, had always maintained that his father was the father of Jeanne Marie.In 1902 Jeanne Marie married the Scottish politician, Sir Ian Malcolm. They had four children. Lady Malcolm died in 1964.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Serene Highness

According to Richard Hough, the author of Louis and Victoria, The First Mountbattens, Prince Louis of Battenberg conducted his affair with such discretion that few suspected he was seeing the Jersey Lily. Once the Prince of Wales dropped her for her familiarity with him (slipping a piece of ice down his back at a costume party), Louis and some others were the only ones to stick by Mrs. Langtry. Years later a play opened in 1940 but closed soon thereafter because of the German invasion. Paul Henreid played Prince Louis and the play was about his love affair with Lily Langtry.

It was reported that when Jeanne Marie learned of her illegitimacy, she complained bitterly and was asked, "Who would you prefer to have as a father, a penniless druken Irishman or a Royal Prince and the most handsome of all naval officers?"

Hough, pp. 97-98.

Tags
biography, british history, edward vii, hesse-cassel, pictures, prince of wales, princess of wales, queen alexandra, queen consort, queen victoria, queen victoria's children, saxe-coburg-gotha