The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Serene Highness

I believe you are correct. The man kneeling next to the bride looks like George of Wales, the woman (in the lower left) seated opposite the Duchess of Teck resembles Victoria and in the background, standing side by side, appear to be the Prince and Princess of Wales. It looks like the painter slimmed down the Prince of Wales.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

I think Queen Victoria is in the background, in front of the two men in red uniforms.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
I think Queen Victoria is in the background, in front of the two men in red uniforms.
You are right, I did not even notice that figure and it would make sense since that appears to be the groom's side of the chapel.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Serene Highness

I have just finished reading David Williamson's biography of Queen Alexandra and while enjoyable, it is short on details but long on regard for the Queen. Don't get me wrong, I admire her greatly but wondered if anyone could recommend some good biographies of Her Majesty which portray her in all aspects of her long life, warts and all. Jonny Depp? Anyone?
Old 08-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Gentry

Queen Alexandra is a royal personage who seems well overdue for a fresh look at her life by a contemporary biographer. Queen Alexandra by Georgina Battiscombe [1969] is regarded by many as the definitive biography. The biography by David Duff is also good.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
Queen Alexandra is a royal personage who seems well overdue for a fresh look at her life by a contemporary biographer. Queen Alexandra by Georgina Battiscombe [1969] is regarded by many as the definitive biography. The biography by David Duff is also good.
Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Nobility

Yes i have read both books and i perfer : ALEXANDRA Princess and Queen by David Duff, Published by Collins in1980.
IMO this Biography is the best that i have read about Alix . it is a most delightful protrait of the Queen, one ...comes away thinking that you know her personally, the author really transports you back in time as though you were there, witnessing the journey of the Queen's life and times at first hand ! well worth a read guy's

Btw i have never come across the williamson book, am wondering as to where one can get a copy, though i have not done a search as yet !

Cheers !!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Serene Highness

Jonny,

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I discovered the Williamson book on line. I hope this link works for you. Thanks again.

Full text of "Queen Alexandra; a biography"
Old 08-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Nobility

Wow ! thanks for the link VM, i will look forward to reading the book with relish !
Old 08-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnydep View Post
Wow ! thanks for the link VM, i will look forward to reading the book with relish !
Jonny,

You are very welcome. I hope you enjoy the book and would love to hear your take on it. I still need to get a copy of the biography written by Duff. Alexandra was a truly great Queen of England.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Nobility

Yes, Alix was very much the forerunner to the late Diana Princess of Wales. Both women showed compassion to their fellow Mankind!

Queen Alexandra was a crusader for the dignity of man. Her feelings for the sick and unfortunate were never better illustrated than in the case of the so called Elephant Man.......Joseph Merrick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alix went to his bedside, shook hands with him, smiled, looked straight at him and sat down. The princess found him intelligent and under her care and that of the London Hospital he regained some degree of confidence. Each year until he died she sent him a present at Christmas with a card bearing a personal message. It is said that Merricks most treasured possession was a signed photo of the Princess, given to him by the Princess herself : he would not allow anyone to touch it !!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Serene Highness

An early version of Diana, Princess of Wales. If only Diana could've turned a blind eye to her husband's unfaithfulness, like Alexandra did, how different things might have been?
Old 08-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Nobility

Alexandra Rose Day..... The year 1913 was the Golden wedding of Alix's marriage to the late King, it was decided to celebrate it in some special way. Alix had insisted a secondary and much deeper reason for the celebration, one that would benefect the sick and the needy : hence the Alexandra Rose day!
Women Volunteers, dressed in white would sell artificial rose's, which was made by the disabled and the fund's raised given to the London Hospitals.....the first Rose Day drive took place on 26th June 1912, a year premature, but the plans were ready and after all, Alix as it was pointed out had first visited England in 1862. when she stayed with Queen Victoria at Osborne house!
For more info see this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra_Rose_Day
Here is a short Video...
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LMTaKLCiM7c
Old 08-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Nobility

Within a month of their accession to the throne, King Edward VII created Queen Alexandra a Lady of the Order of the Garter !.

This was unexpected and unusual, as the last time when a royal lady was so honoured was in 1488, when the then King Henry VII had created his mother Margaret as such !

However the Garter King of arms was opposed to the placing of the Queen's Banner in St George's Chapel, stating that the rules prohibited it, the King then pointed out that during the 14th and 15th centuries, it was common practice for the Banners of Ladies of the Garter to be placed in the Chapel, thus the Queen's Banner went up !
Here is a list of the ladies of the Garter....
http://en.wikipedia....s_of_the_Garter
Old 08-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Well I'm glad she got it with all she put up with.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Well I'm glad she got it with all she put up with.
I agree, Russo. Bless her soul... she deserved all she got and more from King Edward VII.... I am sure he couldn't have been easy to live with, much less be married to!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Nobility

Queen Alexandra loved nothing more to be with her Danish family.They held large gatherings in Denmark where all the other Royal houses Greek,Russian, English wounld all gather.

In time these family gatherings became part of the Royal European scene, for forty years the six children and some thirty-six grandchilren of King Christian IX and Queen Louise of Denmark, would gather together for a few weeks in the summer months. To be together in their native Denmark, was regarded as one of life's joy's by this vast widespread and increasingly illustrious family !. In the main these gatherings took place at the Fredensborg Palace, but if the gathering was a small one (not all the family was able to attend every year). these took place in the much smaller Palace of Bernsdorff !
Old 09-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

JD, I heard she and Minnie were quite the billards players!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

In 1860 'Baron Renfrew' charmes the Pittsburgh ladies - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Old 10-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Aristocracy

Queen Alexandra loved nothing more to be with her Danish family.
end quote

I was only thinking what a remarkable family they were
in the 19th cent..... How proud Alexandra's mother must have been
.... one daughter... Dagmar.... the Czarina of Russia... the other daughter... Alexandra.....Queen of England ! to say nothing of the achievements of her other children !
( wonder if she lived long enough to see both Dagmar and Alexandra crowned ? )

Tags
biography, british history, edward vii, hesse-cassel, pictures, prince of wales, princess of wales, queen alexandra, queen consort, queen victoria, queen victoria's children, saxe-coburg-gotha