The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Minnie had the love of her family only as the people in Russia turned on her and her family and she had to flee her adopted country and wasn't all that well received by her brother in Denmark. He tolerated her more than welcomed her.
her brother !!......to my understanding her brother king frederick VIII, had died in 1912 long before marie had to flee russia. it was her nephew king christian X with whom she had a difficult relationship !!.

its quite true that both marie and alexandra had never been on such close terms of intimacy with freddie than they had been with their other brother willie (king george I of greece). this was due to his wife crown pricess / queen louise, as both was ill at ease in the company of their sister in law, all three women never had seen eye to eye !!

louise was a plain, shy and stiff mannered woman, she did not inherit any of the panache of her beauharnais ancestors at all.
despite her expensive clothes she looked frumpish and dull as ditchwater. she was also somewhat priggish and a bigot.

with the death of the old king christian IX in 1906, there was little to attract both sisters to the danish court....with the pious and somewhat eccrentric queen louise as hostess at the royal palaces, all traces of gaiety was swept away !!. but both sisters was still anxious to conitinue their visits to denmark, therefore they decided to buy a place of their own in denmark.....Hvidore Villa !!. this was to be their danish home until both their deaths !!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Nobility

"Crown Princess Louise was a plain, shy and stiff mannered woman"

NOT a good fit in the presence of Marie Feodorovna and Alexandra... who were rather glamorous and outgoing

Old 02-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Her father rightly was regarded as the father-in-law of Europe but just like Queen Victoria was referred to as the grandmother of Europe then Christian IX was also the grandfather due to the marriages of his children and then the intermarriage of the grandchildren with the grandchildren etc of Queen Victoria.
quite true.....the competition between the houses of glucksburg and coburg to populate the palaces of europe was strong during 19th century, it was not until the 20th century that the two families were merged in marriage and the question became more one of survival than competition !!

for example, in 1913, a grandson of king christain IX, prince ernest augustus of hanover married a hohenzollern, princess victoria louise (the kaisers only daugther no less and a great granddaughter of queen victoria).

given that there was a ongoing feud between the glucksburgs, hanoverian royals on the one side and the prussian royals on the other, this union was somewhat surprising .... esp to alexandra, who refused her invitation to attend the wedding in berlin, having doughts not only to the wisdom of the marriage, but also to visiting the german capital at such a time of rising crisis!!

indeed this union placed queen alexandra in sad and difficult position in the following years during the great war and beyond, as the great war had resulted in all of the german monarchies etc being swept away !!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaLandgrave View Post
I dont think that many women would have been able to put up with all the foolishness of Edward VII.
hehe....that was one of the characteristics of the glucksburg woman !!.

queen mary thought so, as she was delighted when her son prince george, duke of kent married princess marina of greece and denmark (granddaughter of king george I of greece, brother of alexandra), the queen expressed her to delight to her friend lady airlie.......

"the women of the danish family, have the art of marriage"

yes i agree.... for why else could those three danish sisters alexandra, dagmar and thyra had coped with their extremely difficult husbands otherwise ?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Nobility

You said a mouthful there, JohnnyDep!! They all three had pills for husbands!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
About the Prince of Wales...
The italian Wikipedia has a page about a certain Lady Florence Trevelyan; it says that Lady Florence was a cousin of Queen Victoria, and in the 1870s she had an affair with the then Prince of Wales. According to wikipedia, after the scandal of this affair she was banned from the british court, she began to travel and finally married an Italian, Salvatore Cacciola. They settled in Sicily, in the town of Taormina, where they often hosted a lot of royals, included Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany, Emperor Nicholas II of Russia, King Edward VII, Queen Amelia of Portugal and King Vittorio Emanuele III of Italy.
Does anyone know something more about this woman? I'm not sure that the article of Wikipedia about her is reliable, since I've never heard about these Trevelyan cousins of Queen Victoria.
I lived in Taormina for several years and studied the history of Lady Florence Trevelyan
Old 02-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Nobility

hi playwright....

please feel free to elaborate, we will be very interested to know what you have discovered in your studies.....

thanks in advance !
Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm looking for the photo of Alexandra's three daughters dressed as children when they were 17. Could someone please help?
I've read that she treated the girls as children and at 19 one of them - didn't mention which one - had a children's party. I know that there was no real concept of 'teenagers' back then. Girls were either young girls in the schoolroom and hence treated as children, or they were grown up and out in society. I'd like to read your thoughts here.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnydep View Post
if lady florence was a cousin of queen victoria the relationship must be very distant as i have not found any trevelyan cousins amomgst the legimate or illegimate descendants of king george III , frederick prince of wales nor king george II !!
It appears the claim is that Mary Wilson, the grandmother, was a cousin of Queen Victoria, but so far I have found no evidence of a relationship either.

I can say several things about the claims put forward on the websites mentioning Florence Trevelyan, however.

The first is that "Lady" Florence Trevelyan was never eligible to hold a title.. not even by courtesy. Her father, Edward Spencer Trevelyan, was a younger son of Sir John Trevelyan, 5th Baronet Trevelyan of Nettlecomb, Dorset, and his wife Mary Wilson.

Mary Wilson's father was Sir Thomas Spencer Wilson, 6th Baronet Wilson (later Maryon-Wilson) of Eastbourne, Sussex. Her mother was Jane Weller, a daughter of John Weller and Margaretta Peers. Mary Wilson was sometimes referred to as Maria. One thing is certain.. and that is Mary Wilson was not a first cousin of Queen Victoria.

Florence Trevelyan's mother was Catherine Anne Forster, a daughter of John Forster and Rebecca Bell. I don't believe her father held any title.

I have found no evidence in any of Florence's known ancestral lines to show a connection or relationship to the royal family. Nor do I find anyone named Trevelyan in the list of Queen Victoria's attendants. One website mentioned that either a cousin or an aunt of Florence was a lady-in-waiting, which is false as far as I can tell.

There was only one Baron Trevelyan. He was Sir Humphrey Trevelyan, KG, created a Baron on 12 February 1968. The peerage became extinct on his death in February 1985. I do not know if Humphrey is from the same family, but there is probably some connection.

To say that Florence was a descendant of the "Lords" or "Barons" Trevelyan is erroneous. Though she was a descendant of the Baronets.. either way, she was never "Lady Florence", although this could be a title she adopted in Italy to enhance her social standing.. or to secure a marriage to a wealthy Italian, as her husband appears to have been.

The Baronetage of Trevelyan of Nettlecomb, Dorset, still exists in the Trevelyan family. The current baronet is Sir Edward Norman Trevelyan, 11th Bart., who inherited the title in January 1996.

The Baronetage of Maryon-Wilson of Eastbourne, Sussex, became extinct on the death of Sir Hubert Guy Maryon-Wilson, 13th Bart., on 13 September 1978.

Who knows if the story of her affair with the Prince of Wales is true or not.. personally, I don't think it ever happened.. otherwise we would know about Florence Trevelyan, which we don't.. as a relation of Victoria - or as a mistress of Edward.

By the time she supposedly was asked to leave England in 1879, both of her parents were deceased, and she was their only surviving child. So basically, I think she could have made up any story she wanted once she was in Italy.. for whatever reason.

I hope anyone that uncovers more about this topic will post it here.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Wikipedia (in Italian) has a page on Florence Trevelyan, and it says that she was the daughter of Lord Spencer Trevelyan (himself the son of Baron John Trevelyan and his wife Lady Mary, of the Barons Wilson, first cousin of Queen Victoria) and his wife and first cousin Catherine Anne Trevelyan, lady-in-waiting to the Queen; Florence had an older sister, Edith, who died at birth. It also adds that her uncle was Baronet George Otto Trevelyan, her cousin was Charles Edward Trevelyan, Governor of Madras and Minister in 1862-1865.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM Queen Catherine View Post
It appears the claim is that Mary Wilson, the grandmother, was a cousin of Queen Victoria, but so far I have found no evidence of a relationship either.
hank you, for the adove info much appreciated indeed !
I agree with your findings 100 % . who ever she is, she is not cousin of Queen Victoria and her story is self invented.....there is no sources or facts to support her story what so ever. i have long since dismissed her as a sad deluded woman and quite forgot her about until now.....she is nobody of consequence imo ! Perhaps we will never know the true identy of this woman !
Old 07-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Serene Highness

I am reading a biography of Queen Alexandra by David Williamson and in it, the author mentions that visitors to Sandringham were weighed and the person's name and weight were entered into a log kept by the Prince of Wales. Women were weighed along with men and no one was exempt. Has anyone else heard or read of this and does anyone know why the Prince would record the weight of the person? Seems very strange to me.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
I am reading a biography of Queen Alexandra by David Williamson and in it, the author mentions that visitors to Sandringham were weighed and the person's name and weight were entered into a log kept by the Prince of Wales. Women were weighed along with men and no one was exempt. Has anyone else heard or read of this and does anyone know why the Prince would record the weight of the person? Seems very strange to me.

When I visited Sandringham I not only heard the story but also saw the scales. The reason was that Edward was a proud host and believed that if people didn't put on weight during their visit then they hadn't really enjoyed themselves with the food and drink provided.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Serene Highness

Ahh, so the Prince of Wales weighed them at the beginning and end of the visit. The author did not mention that, just that one woman was mortified to discover that she weighed more than her father. This is a delightful anecdote. I would love to visit Sandringham one day.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnydep View Post
the baby was due sometime in march 1864, but was born on the 8th jan of that year, the baby boy weighed less than four pounds......
The story goes.....At the new year of 1864, The Prince and the Princess of Wales were staying at Frogmore House nr Windsor. The weather was very cold and each day there was ice skating. On the 8th of January, the Wales and their house guests drove to Virgina Water, where Bertie had organised a game of ice hockey. Whilst watching the game Alix complained of slight pains and insisted she return to the house with Lady Macclesfield, the Princess's Lady of the Bedchamber. It was about 4 pm when the two reached the house and by this time the pain was so severe that the Princess was put to bed. It was fortunate that Lady Mac was present, for she sensed that the Priness had gone into premature labour (she already had 12 children herself) and she knew what to do at once. She sent for the local Windsor Doctor (Dr Brown) and telegrapthed to London for the Specailist doctors / nurses who would under normal circumstances would be present and for the Home Secretary, whose presence was required to witness the child was not suppostititious. In the meantime she attended the Princess and prepared one of her own Petticoats for use as a receiving flannel. The baby Prince was born at 8.45pm, Lady Mac and Dr Brown managing affairs efficiently between them. In fact Dr Brown was only at the bedside for twenty minutes!!.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:39 PM

Question Identify a wedding couple?

Can anyone identify the wedding couple in this lithograph? I believe it dates to the latter part of Queen Victoria's reign.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Victoria_01_(4).jpg
Views:	175
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	274499  
Old 08-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Administrator

It the wedding of Prince Edward of Wales to Princess Alexandra of Denmark, the future King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceG View Post
Can anyone identify the wedding couple in this lithograph? I believe it dates to the latter part of Queen Victoria's reign.

This is from 10th March, 1863 and is the wedding of Edward VII and Queen Alexandra in St George's Chapel on that date.

The wedding dress is clearly Alexandra's, which I have actually seen as it was on display at Kensington Palace in 2002 as part of the Queen's Jubilee celebrations that year. They also had Victoria's, Mary's, the Queen Mum's and the present Queen's.

In the top right hand corner as you look at it you can see Queen Victoria in her black and that is where she sat for that wedding.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:15 PM

Another wedding identification please.

Thank both of you who answered my last question. I have a second (and final) royal wedding picture whose participants I would like to identify. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Victoria_01_(7).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	274520  
Old 08-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Moderator Emeritus

It looks like it might be the wedding of George V and Queen Mary in 1893. The seated woman on the right-hand side of the picture in the blue and gold dress looks like the Duchess of Teck.

Tags
biography, british history, edward vii, hesse-cassel, pictures, prince of wales, princess of wales, queen alexandra, queen consort, queen victoria, queen victoria's children, saxe-coburg-gotha