King Edward VII (1841-1910) and Queen Alexandra (1844-1925)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It appears the claim is that Mary Wilson, the grandmother, was a cousin of Queen Victoria, but so far I have found no evidence of a relationship either.
hank you, for the adove info much appreciated indeed !
I agree with your findings 100 % . who ever she is, she is not cousin of Queen Victoria and her story is self invented.....there is no sources or facts to support her story what so ever. i have long since dismissed her as a sad deluded woman and quite forgot her about until now.....she is nobody of consequence imo ! Perhaps we will never know the true identy of this woman ! :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am reading a biography of Queen Alexandra by David Williamson and in it, the author mentions that visitors to Sandringham were weighed and the person's name and weight were entered into a log kept by the Prince of Wales. Women were weighed along with men and no one was exempt. Has anyone else heard or read of this and does anyone know why the Prince would record the weight of the person? Seems very strange to me.

I am reading a biography of Queen Alexandra by David Williamson and in it, the author mentions that visitors to Sandringham were weighed and the person's name and weight were entered into a log kept by the Prince of Wales. Women were weighed along with men and no one was exempt. Has anyone else heard or read of this and does anyone know why the Prince would record the weight of the person? Seems very strange to me.

When I visited Sandringham I not only heard the story but also saw the scales. The reason was that Edward was a proud host and believed that if people didn't put on weight during their visit then they hadn't really enjoyed themselves with the food and drink provided.

Ahh, so the Prince of Wales weighed them at the beginning and end of the visit. The author did not mention that, just that one woman was mortified to discover that she weighed more than her father. This is a delightful anecdote. I would love to visit Sandringham one day.

the baby was due sometime in march 1864, but was born on the 8th jan of that year, the baby boy weighed less than four pounds......
The story goes.....At the new year of 1864, The Prince and the Princess of Wales were staying at Frogmore House nr Windsor. The weather was very cold and each day there was ice skating. On the 8th of January, the Wales and their house guests drove to Virgina Water, where Bertie had organised a game of ice hockey. Whilst watching the game Alix complained of slight pains and insisted she return to the house with Lady Macclesfield, the Princess's Lady of the Bedchamber. It was about 4 pm when the two reached the house and by this time the pain was so severe that the Princess was put to bed. It was fortunate that Lady Mac was present, for she sensed that the Priness had gone into premature labour (she already had 12 children herself) and she knew what to do at once. She sent for the local Windsor Doctor (Dr Brown) and telegrapthed to London for the Specailist doctors / nurses who would under normal circumstances would be present and for the Home Secretary, whose presence was required to witness the child was not suppostititious. In the meantime she attended the Princess and prepared one of her own Petticoats for use as a receiving flannel. The baby Prince was born at 8.45pm, Lady Mac and Dr Brown managing affairs efficiently between them. In fact Dr Brown was only at the bedside for twenty minutes!!.

Identify a wedding couple?

Can anyone identify the wedding couple in this lithograph? I believe it dates to the latter part of Queen Victoria's reign.

Attachments

• Victoria_01_(4).jpg
    Victoria_01_(4).jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 329
It the wedding of Prince Edward of Wales to Princess Alexandra of Denmark, the future King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.

Can anyone identify the wedding couple in this lithograph? I believe it dates to the latter part of Queen Victoria's reign.

This is from 10th March, 1863 and is the wedding of Edward VII and Queen Alexandra in St George's Chapel on that date.

The wedding dress is clearly Alexandra's, which I have actually seen as it was on display at Kensington Palace in 2002 as part of the Queen's Jubilee celebrations that year. They also had Victoria's, Mary's, the Queen Mum's and the present Queen's.

In the top right hand corner as you look at it you can see Queen Victoria in her black and that is where she sat for that wedding.

Another wedding identification please.

Thank both of you who answered my last question. I have a second (and final) royal wedding picture whose participants I would like to identify. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Victoria_01_(7).jpg
    Victoria_01_(7).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 292
It looks like it might be the wedding of George V and Queen Mary in 1893. The seated woman on the right-hand side of the picture in the blue and gold dress looks like the Duchess of Teck.

I believe you are correct. The man kneeling next to the bride looks like George of Wales, the woman (in the lower left) seated opposite the Duchess of Teck resembles Victoria and in the background, standing side by side, appear to be the Prince and Princess of Wales. It looks like the painter slimmed down the Prince of Wales.

I think Queen Victoria is in the background, in front of the two men in red uniforms.

I think Queen Victoria is in the background, in front of the two men in red uniforms.
You are right, I did not even notice that figure:bang: and it would make sense since that appears to be the groom's side of the chapel.

I have just finished reading David Williamson's biography of Queen Alexandra and while enjoyable, it is short on details but long on regard for the Queen. Don't get me wrong, I admire her greatly but wondered if anyone could recommend some good biographies of Her Majesty which portray her in all aspects of her long life, warts and all. Jonny Depp? Anyone?

Queen Alexandra is a royal personage who seems well overdue for a fresh look at her life by a contemporary biographer. Queen Alexandra by Georgina Battiscombe [1969] is regarded by many as the definitive biography. The biography by David Duff is also good.

Queen Alexandra is a royal personage who seems well overdue for a fresh look at her life by a contemporary biographer. Queen Alexandra by Georgina Battiscombe [1969] is regarded by many as the definitive biography. The biography by David Duff is also good.

Thank you for the suggestions.:flowers:

:previous:
Yes i have read both books and i perfer : ALEXANDRA Princess and Queen by David Duff, Published by Collins in1980.
IMO this Biography is the best that i have read about Alix . it is a most delightful protrait of the Queen, one ...comes away thinking that you know her personally, the author really transports you back in time as though you were there, witnessing the journey of the Queen's life and times at first hand ! well worth a read guy's :)

Btw i have never come across the williamson book, am wondering as to where one can get a copy, though i have not done a search as yet !

Cheers !!

Wow ! thanks for the link VM, i will look forward to reading the book with relish ! :flowers:

Wow ! thanks for the link VM, i will look forward to reading the book with relish ! :flowers:

Jonny,

You are very welcome.:) I hope you enjoy the book and would love to hear your take on it. I still need to get a copy of the biography written by Duff. Alexandra was a truly great Queen of England.

Yes, Alix was very much the forerunner to the late Diana Princess of Wales. Both women showed compassion to their fellow Mankind! :D

Queen Alexandra was a crusader for the dignity of man. Her feelings for the sick and unfortunate were never better illustrated than in the case of the so called Elephant Man.......Joseph Merrick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alix went to his bedside, shook hands with him, smiled, looked straight at him and sat down. The princess found him intelligent and under her care and that of the London Hospital he regained some degree of confidence. Each year until he died she sent him a present at Christmas with a card bearing a personal message. It is said that Merricks most treasured possession was a signed photo of the Princess, given to him by the Princess herself : he would not allow anyone to touch it !!

An early version of Diana, Princess of Wales. If only Diana could've turned a blind eye to her husband's unfaithfulness, like Alexandra did, how different things might have been?

Alexandra Rose Day..... The year 1913 was the Golden wedding of Alix's marriage to the late King, it was decided to celebrate it in some special way. Alix had insisted a secondary and much deeper reason for the celebration, one that would benefect the sick and the needy : hence the Alexandra Rose day!
Women Volunteers, dressed in white would sell artificial rose's, which was made by the disabled and the fund's raised given to the London Hospitals.....the first Rose Day drive took place on 26th June 1912, a year premature, but the plans were ready and after all, Alix as it was pointed out had first visited England in 1862. when she stayed with Queen Victoria at Osborne house!
For more info see this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra_Rose_Day
Here is a short Video...
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LMTaKLCiM7c

Within a month of their accession to the throne, King Edward VII created Queen Alexandra a Lady of the Order of the Garter !.

This was unexpected and unusual, as the last time when a royal lady was so honoured was in 1488, when the then King Henry VII had created his mother Margaret as such !

However the Garter King of arms was opposed to the placing of the Queen's Banner in St George's Chapel, stating that the rules prohibited it, the King then pointed out that during the 14th and 15th centuries, it was common practice for the Banners of Ladies of the Garter to be placed in the Chapel, thus the Queen's Banner went up !
Here is a list of the ladies of the Garter....
http://en.wikipedia....s_of_the_Garter

Well I'm glad she got it with all she put up with.

Well I'm glad she got it with all she put up with.

I agree, Russo. Bless her soul... she deserved all she got and more from King Edward VII.... I am sure he couldn't have been easy to live with, much less be married to!

Queen Alexandra loved nothing more to be with her Danish family.They held large gatherings in Denmark where all the other Royal houses Greek,Russian, English wounld all gather.

In time these family gatherings became part of the Royal European scene, for forty years the six children and some thirty-six grandchilren of King Christian IX and Queen Louise of Denmark, would gather together for a few weeks in the summer months. To be together in their native Denmark, was regarded as one of life's joy's by this vast widespread and increasingly illustrious family !. In the main these gatherings took place at the Fredensborg Palace, but if the gathering was a small one (not all the family was able to attend every year). these took place in the much smaller Palace of Bernsdorff !

JD, I heard she and Minnie were quite the billards players!

Queen Alexandra loved nothing more to be with her Danish family.
end quote

I was only thinking what a remarkable family they were
in the 19th cent..... How proud Alexandra's mother must have been
.... one daughter... Dagmar.... the Czarina of Russia... the other daughter... Alexandra.....Queen of England ! to say nothing of the achievements of her other children !
( wonder if she lived long enough to see both Dagmar and Alexandra crowned ? )

Back
Top Bottom