The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

In 1611 King James I created the rank of baronet as a way of raising funds.
In 1610 Ben Johnson's masque Miles a Deo (Soldier of God) starred James's eldest son Henry in a performance to celebrate the Christmas season and Henry's investure as Prince of Wales.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Serene Highness

Very interesting, R.B. Swan. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Serene Highness

R.V.Swan, concerning James' skin, he could have had pale skin which was not happy in sunlight, and also have a form of porphyria which is not happy in sunlight. In other words, he had more than one skin difficulty. So he had to "cover up." The medical reports on him which I read said that his "red urine" was not from blood. He was well vetted by his doctors, and he himself commented on his red urine. Not all people with porphyria have red urine during "attacks". It can be other colors. But James chose the most dramatic color.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:24 AM
Majesty

Historic 400-year-old home Old Hall goes up for sale for £1.2million | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-24-2016, 05:20 AM
Majesty

Ten things you never knew about James I VI | Top 10 Facts | Life & Style | Daily Express
Old 10-19-2016, 09:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

In the first year of his reign, King James I honored William Shakespeare's theatrical company by making them the King's Men.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Royal of the month : Anne of Denmark

Tudor Times | Anne of Denmark
Old 02-10-2017, 01:34 AM
Majesty

The Prince and the impostor: was King James VI switched at birth? - The Scotsman
Old 07-23-2017, 01:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Anyone have any information of James wife Anne and their marriage? IIRC they had a rather cordial marriage though I wonder if she was unhappy about being Queen of Scotland.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-23-2017, 02:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Anyone have any information of James wife Anne and their marriage? IIRC they had a rather cordial marriage though I wonder if she was unhappy about being Queen of Scotland.
No they did not have a good marriage. From what I have read James was probably homosexual and if he had an option he would never have married or had children, so there's that. James for that reason put off getting married until he was 26 and married Anna for political reasons, as all royality did. Although they had 8 children, most died young and their eldenst son died at 18. After 1606 they lived separate lives and were not on good terms with eachover. A lot of historians try and downplay these issues as they are squeamish about James sexuality and the political consequences it had for british politics at large or that much of Charles I's approach to being king was in many ways a backlash against his father's behaviour.

Being king meant that this wasn't an option and the marriage was often strained due to James's preference for younger male lovers and his habit of allowing them the sort of patronage role that should have been Anna's, him ignoring her wishes with regards to their children (admittedly this wasn't unusual for the time period) as well as his ingrained misogyny and selfish immature personilaty. Traditional explanation was that James found Anna dull and stupid, although this was probably an invention to save James reputation from later pamphleteers during the civil war. Anna responded to this poor treatment by often leading the factions at court against James and making fun of his (perceived by the standards of the time) lack of manliness when she could, as well as trying to turn her sons against their father.

I mentioned this on the Gay Royalty thread and there's more information there and I would recommend the book King James and the History of Homosexuality by Michael B Young (2014 2nd edn) for more info on the marriage and It's problems .

So TL;DR - James and Anna had an unhappy marriage which was mostly James fault, and these problems, along with James's series of younger boyfriends caused major political problems and was a major factor in the eventual downfall of their son Charles I.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's sad that there is such a push to prove or disprove some famous people as bisexual or homosexual. I ask about James and Anne's marriage and immediately he's labeled as homosexual and that's why the marriage wasn't happy. Why is that the first thing mentioned and not Anne having legitimate problems with not having enough contact with her son? Also she apparently had no problem with his "male favorites" as long as they didn't muck up politics. Like Isabella of France Anne didn't seem to mind the male favorites as long as they didn't screw with royal business; whether male or female Queens had to always contend with an unfaithful husband.

So much is in this thread is about James but what about Anne herself. Was she a good Queen? She seemed to love her children? How did she view marriage to a Scottish King? How did she get a long with the Scottish nobles; did she fear for her husband and her son?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-23-2017, 05:35 AM
Nobility

Anna of Denmark, born in 1574, was the daughter of Frederick II of Denmark and Sophie of Mecklenburg. Traditionally derided as a "dumb blonde" and often blamed for the problems of the marriage, Anna was in fact be an intelligent and cultured woman who brought some much needed sparkle and polish to the Scottish court when she married James in 1590 aged 14. Anna seemes to have loved James at the start, and in the beginning James made an effort to try and be a good husband, however the two had quite different personalites, a large age gap, and the fact that on the whole James had no taste for female company meant that the two drifted apart.

Although there are plenty of cases of mixed orientation marriages in this time period being a success, they were usually marked by some level of friendship, common interests and mutual agreement between the two parties. This wasn't there between James and Anna and I'd say it was the lack of mutual respect between the two that was the problem not the relative lack of sex or love that was the root of the problems. I should have been more clear about that above Xenia, so sorry about that.

Although she never had the sort of influence or respect that many felt she deserved (this comes up a lot in contempary sources) and by the time James became king of England she had less influence than she did in Scotland. The Kirk didn't approve of her activities as queen and it's believed (but not by any means certain) that she was a Catholic convert; something which further left her marginalised and isolated at court.

Her track record as a mother is tricky as she seems to have not been above using her sons as pawns to get back at her negligent husband, and seems to have had very little interest in her daughter Elizabeth. She wasn't as involved with her children as she herself would have liked as James had the royal children farmed out to other courtiers all things considered, she was a pretty normal seventeenth century royal mother.

Her real influence was a cultural patron, she was responsible for the court masques (an early kind of opera cum court pagent) that the Jacobean court was later famous for, as well as being one the first major painting collectors of the period, along with having a fine collection of jewels and dresses and the best manners at court. Most of what we consider to be "Jacobean" really is more the result of Anna's influence rather than James's.

There's no full modern bio of Anna but there has been an explosion of new schiolarship on Anna's influence on politics, court culture and patronage in the past 30 years - John Leeds Barroll wrote a study of Anna as a cultural patron and that's the closest to a modern biography I can think of, although

Relating to what I said above, most contempary reports blamed James for the marriages problems and most modern historians, although making allowances for James being misunderstood by many of his contemparires would agree. What offended was the lack of discretion and the perceived offence to contempary values. James's favourites were heavily involved in the politics of the court, that and the (almost certainly) correct rumours about James was a major factor in the decline of respect for the crown in the period. It's heavily documented in the contempary sources and recent historigraphy has brought the importance of the personal back into the politics of the period - kinda like Henry VIII and his wives or Charles II's mistresses, its not just cheep titlation, this had real impact on the politics of access to the king and patronage; and unlike Henry's wives or Charles's girlfriends, these young men held actual goverment jobs, with real power and real responsibility.

Compared to Edward and Isabella, James and Anna didn't live together and often did not see one another for months at a time, which was unusual for the time even by royal standards. I did oversimplify somewhat with what I said above as there were times where they did make an effort and James did try in his own way but the relationship was often notable for unease, disdain and guilt on his part and frustration and loneliness on hers.