HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother (1900-2002)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See i'd be the exact opposite, in a situation like that I would rightly expect the son to ask the mother or grandmother first, if frankly i'm not the one asking. Like if they came round for dinner, for instance.

I think Charles did right, all about the interpretation perhaps.

I agree - and I also would talk with my partner about my plan to serve the elders first. I would not discuss it - I would explain it. I cannot see back into the relationship, but it is clear that Diana got taken by surprise/unhappiness sometimes and wanted explanation sometimes. So, in my opinion, anticipate that and clear it up before the event.

The Regency Act of 1937 made Elizabeth the first Queen Consort in English history to be eligible to serve as a Counsellor of State and to transact royal business in the sovereign's name.

Counsellors of State were only created in 1911 and they were appointed at the monarch's discretion during the reign of George V as needed and he tended to go with The Lord Chancellor, The Prime Minister, The Archbishop of Canterbury and/or the Lord President of the Council rather than royals. Had he chosen royals he would probably have gone with Mary as well as his sons but he didn't.

The 1937 Act was the first to create CoS's by law so there was really only Mary who could have been appointed earlier anyway so not such a big breakthrough.

However there have been Queens Consort who have conducted the business of the monarch in the absence/death of the monarch as Regent such as Queen Caroline who would act as Regent when George II was in Hanover if she remained in the UK. In most cases when a regent was considered a possibility then the mother of the new monarch was to be appointed.

Eleanor of Aquataine ruled England in the absence of her son Richard so definitely conducted the business of the monarch.

There are of course other women who did carry out the duties of running the country long before Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was eligible to be a CoS as they served as Regents for their husbands or sons and exercised a lot more power than a CoS could do.

Currently, of course, there are no women able to serve as a CoS as the current five are: Philip (has never served although eligible since 1952), Charles, William, Harry and Andrew. The last female to serve was Anne and she served until William turned 21 and the next to possibly serve is Beatrice, assuming The Queen doesn't live to see George turn 21.

Camilla would also be able to be a CoS when Charles is King. So there will be 2 women then. Camilla, William, Harry, Andrew and Beatrice.

^ Seriously? Camilla is the same as Eleanore of Aquitane and Queen Charlotte in appropriateness in this situation? Just because Charles has the ability to make C one, doesnt really make it historically appropriate. In every one of the past situations, the lady in question has been a first degree blood relative. I dont believe a woman completely unrelated has ever been made one. But please correct me if I am operating under a misapprehention :)

Per the legislation, the consort of the monarch is eligible to be a CoS. So that is Philip now and then Camilla and then Catherine. Philip has never done it because he has been with the Queen when she has left the country. But Charles could leave the country as King without his wife.

The discussion was about CoS and that there was no women right now. Not regencies in previous reigns.

Last edited:
I don't think King Charles III will make Queen Camilla a Counsellor of State, there's no need to do such a thing. As Iluvbertie said, The Duke of Edinburgh never exercised his functions of Counsellor, and I think His Royal Highness was only made a Counsellor because he would be the Regent for the Prince of Wales.

So, I don't think the future Queen Camilla will be a Counsellor of State, the same goes for the future Queen Catherine.

There are 5 people eligible per legislation to be CoS -the consort and the next 4 eligible people in line for the throne. To be eligible you have to be 21 or older unless you are the heir to the throne then it is 18 and up. The monarch names 2 people before leaving the country.

Philip became eligible to be a CoS automatically when his wife became the monarch as the legislation spells out who can be a CoS:

the spouse of the monarch and the next four in the line of succession over 21, except the heir apparent who can serve from 18.

As a result Camilla will be eligible to be a CoS as the wife of the monarch and as there is a good chance that Charles will go overseas without her - as he does now as PoW (e.g. this coming week) there is a good chance that she will be appointed as will be her right under the legislation.

To add to that legislation there is also the precedent of the spouse of the previous monarch being appointed to continue to serve into the new reign as happened with The Queen Mother who was appointed as extra CoS meaning that for most of the first 50 years of The Queen's reign there were 6 CoS.

There is a difference between being appointed and being eligible to be a CoS - as being appointed is for a specific period of time while being eligible comes automatically if a person meets the requirements of the legislation.

So, Queen Camilla will automatically become eligible to be a Counsellor of State but that doesn't means she will ever be one. I think got it.

^ Seriously? Camilla is the same as Eleanore of Aquitane and Queen Charlotte in appropriateness in this situation? Just because Charles has the ability to make C one, doesnt really make it historically appropriate. In every one of the past situations, the lady in question has been a first degree blood relative. I dont believe a woman completely unrelated has ever been made one. But please correct me if I am operating under a misapprehention :)

Counsellors of State have only existed since 1911 and from 1911 to 1937 they weren't royal at all but senior politicians.

In 1937 the law was changed to specify who the CoS's would be - and that means that Camilla, as the wife of the monarch (assuming both she and Charles outlive The Queen) will meet one of the qualifications - being the wife of the monarch and thus the next of kin of the monarch.

Charlotte served as Regent for her living husband because she was his wife - the same relationship to George II that Camilla will have to Charles.

Eleanor served in her relationship as mother but there was no wife to serve anyway.

Last edited:
Bertie, am I correct in believing that the reason why the DoE has never served as CoS is because he's always travelled with HM when a CoS is required? As such, while he's eligible for being a CoS, he's never met the requirement of being in Britain when a CoS was required.

Ish - that is correct. CoS's are appointed when HM travels overseas and every time she has gone overseas Philip has accompanied her and thus has never actually been appointed despite his eligibility. If HM is only going for up to three days no CoS is appointed but if she will be gone for longer than that they are appointed - two or the five eligible are appointed and they carry out all the duties of the monarch including chairing council meetings, being briefed by the PM and other ministers and actually signing legislation.

To be honest, I really don't see Camilla even wanting to be a CoS and I would really be surprised if she was named one by Charles.

And as mentioned in previous posts, most likely if Charles will be away for more than 5 days and the CoS are needed, most likely Camilla will be traveling with him.

Last edited:
With Camilla not liking airplanes, it is not a guarantee that she would always go with him.

I would think that if the Queen had to pick a CoS, it would be Charles and William if available just to get them use to the state paperwork that will have to do later on. But it doesn't seem that any of the Queen's trips will be long enough to need CoS this year.

Iluvbertie, Thank you for mentioning that Counsellors of State were appointed at the monarch's discretion during the reign of George V as needed.

Queen Elizabeth II conferred the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Music on her mother, the Queen Mother, at the Royal College of Music in 1973.

:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother planted a tree to commemorate her visit to the Queen Elizabeth Foundation for the Disabled at Leatherhead in July 1970.

In 1938 Queen Elizabeth and her daughters, Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret Rose, reviewed the Christmas displays on a tour of the toy departments of London's big stores.
:holly::xmasbell::holly::xmasbell::holly::xmasbell::holly::xmasbell::holly::xmasbell::holly:

In The Little Princesses, Marion Crawford described Queen Elizabeth, the spouse of George VI, as "one of the loveliest people I had ever seen".

In Long to Reign?, A. W. Purdue wrote:

The Second World War had enabled Queen Elizabeth to fully demonstrate her talent and flair for queenship. Unusually for a queen consort, not of royal blood herself, she displayed a tact, timing and judgement in her public appearances unmatched by any member of the British or any other royal family in the twentieth century. :queen3::queen3:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Great War broke out on her 14th birthday and during the horrific conflict she would lose one of her beloved brothers.
But despite her tender years the Queen Mother was determined to play her own part in the First World War at her Scottish childhood home.
Glamis in Angus was turned into a convalescent home for wounded soldiers and the then Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon would write letters for injured soldiers and run errands from the local shops for them.

How the Queen Mother did her bit during the Great War as a 14-year-old when her family's estate was turned into a convalescent home for wounded soldiers | Mail Online

Was Elizabeth the Duchess of York when this photo of her was taken?
In what year would she have seen Manuel II?

King Manuel lived in the UK 1910-1932 and was a close friend of the BRF so they would've had a lot of opportunities to meet.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I know a bit about The Queen Mother, and she could be very difficult to deal with.
She wasn't the kind and lovable lady everybody thought she was, but she did do something good. She supported The King during the war, and gave life to our beloved Queen who has so many good qualities.

Last edited:
Wasn't she known to be rather racist? Something she and Margaret had in common I'm told.

A woman in The Queen Mother's position after Edward VIII's abdication would have to have been a very, very strong lady. I think that she was the right person for what life handed her. She was gracious and sympathetic in public and George VI's rock and anchor in private. Considering the role that she played during the early years of being Queen Consort--helping her husband establish his kingship, and supporting him and being an inspiration for women during the war--I think that she couldn't have done better. :flowers:

Wasn't she known to be rather racist? Something she and Margaret had in common I'm told.

Yes! She was a lot of things. I will not say too much about this. My mother is British and this is stuff I've heard from family members who have worked for the royal family.

A woman in The Queen Mother's position after Edward VIII's abdication would have to have been a very, very strong lady. I think that she was the right person for what life handed her. She was gracious and sympathetic in public and George VI's rock and anchor in private. Considering the role that she played during the early years of being Queen Consort--helping her husband establish his kingship, and supporting him and being an inspiration for women during the war--I think that she couldn't have done better. :flowers:

I agree, she was The King's rock and anchor.

:previous: Yep, she's been dead long enough for the muck-rakers to start the deconstruction of a true icon.

She was racist, cruel (even to her children), she was ambitious and vile to Wallis Simpson because she hated her, not because of the abdication, but because she wanted David for herself and married Bertie as a consolation prize . . . oh I forgot, she was also the illiegitimate daughter of the Bowes Lyons cook according to Lady Colin Campbell, or Welsh maid working in Scotland, according to Kitty Kelly. (It's always nice to know the origin of some of these pearls of wisdom)

Now if any of the above, which is unfortunately just the tip of the iceberg, were to be backed up by credible witness or record, I would be interested in the dichotomy that marked the nature of Elizabeth Bowes Lyon. Now Lady Colin Campbell thought that Cecillia Glamis, broken hearted over her inability to provide a ninth or tenth child, sent hubby off to the cook. Or, if you believe Kitty Kelly, the Welsh maid.

Hello, even way back then eight children were more than enough to cover the heir and spare.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom